1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Northern Lights...Ever Seen Them?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Following Ivar's thread, it reminded me of how each time I've been that far north (Iceland and Finnish Lapland twice), I've missed the Northern Lights by a matter of days each time.

I was wondering if any TB'ers have been lucky enough to witness them? If so, are they as mind-blowingly awesome as I hope they will be if I am ever lucky enough to witness such a show?

2. Saw it from a plane that was transiting the North Pole en route from Amsterdam to Alaska, it wasn't the biggest showing of them but still really cool. I would love to be able to get the full effect one day instead of just the airliner window view.

Peace,
    Greg

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I'm envious of even your fleeting view! Funnily enough, I was looking only last week at flights from various UK airports which potter around the Shetlands with the vague assurance of a viewing. Wondering whether it's worth taking the chance?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Too many times to count. :)

It's always great to see them and they never cease to amaze me :)

5. I remember as a boy living in Montreal one summer the Northern Lights for some reason drifted so far south that we could see them directly overhead. It was a spectacular sight, a shimmering green curtain stretching from one horizon to another. I've never seen anything like it before or since. I have seen them since, but always low to the northern horizon and for only a brief moment in time.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've been able to see them here is Spokane. Twice. Once when we were outside the city near Ritzville on our move out here (right after Thanksgiving 2001 as we came up from a pit stop at a friend's house in SLC).

Then again as my GF at the time and I were laying down in an empty field a day before hitting the road to catch a few Phish shows on the summer tour of 2003 (two shows at the Gorge and one down in West Valley Utah).

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    nope, my wife said that we had one night in Michigan last year when the lights could be seen if thats true I missed them, an aurora borealis is one of the things that I would like to see before I die.

8. Same here. I'm definitely impressed, astonished, and amazed at the little wonders of our little planet.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Same here, on both accounts. Living in rural northern Vermont for many years made it a pretty frequent occurrence, but I definitely never get tired of it.

10. They occur regularly in my region. One of the most spectacular auroras I ever saw was on the #16 Trans-Canada highway (the "Yellowhead") east of Edmonton - far from any nearby towns or other light sources. We pulled over for a pit stop and witnessed one of the most amazing displays I've ever seen. We're a little too far south in Winnipeg to get the full overhead show, it's usually just the northern one-third of the sky down here.

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Anyone got any of their own pics?

12. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Seen it many times. Its really beatiful.

13. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Saw them when I was living in Upstate NY a few years back.

14. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Haven't seen em, but sure as hell smoked em'

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Many times

16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Once, the first winter I lived in Boston MA of all places, a RARE instance of Northern Lights one night I believe it was 1989, unbelievably beautiful!

17. You are correct! I saw the same display as the drummer and I were headed home from a gig. Quite awesome!

18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Still waiting for someone's pics! :)

19. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Saw them over Lake Champlain one night. One of those never forget experiences.

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There were a few years in the mid 90's where they seemed to decrease most scientists claimed it was due to volcanic ash in the atmosphere. I use to see them frequently in MI in the spring. I saw them a couple of years ago in Detroit on a cold clear night. But the most spectacular displays I've seen where on the shores of Lake MI looking north towards the Upper Peninsula of MI.