1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Bill Fitzmaurice Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SactoBass, Nov 3, 2010.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

If anyone deserves such an appreciation thread, Bill FM does.

How do I put it? Hmmm, well, how 'bout putting it this way: the guy knows his shi.......um, stuff!

Day after day, with more patience than anyone I know, Bill provides correct and accurate advice here on TB. Sure, some of his comments are brief, but those comments only say what needs to be said. Sometimes other TB'ers get their hair ruffled a bit with Bill's directness, but hey, Bill is always right on the mark. In my book, that's what counts.

I am not an electrical or acoustical engineer (I'm a civil engineer), but I have the ability to recognize good advice on TB when I see it. Thanks to Bill FM, I have learned about dispersion, and the benefits of the fEarful 15/6 design. In my humble opinion, Bill FM is the top dog on TB when it comes to acoustic design. That's not to say there are others who know their stuff too (and we are glad all of them are here on TB), but all I can say is, "thank you Bill" for continuing to stay on TB and provide correct (and many times "corrective") guidance on acoustical engineering principles. And thanks for putting up with some of our misguided ideas and setting us straight.

In that light, this thread is hereby created for those TB'ers who wish to post their appreciative comments for Bill FM.

maestrovert likes this.
  2. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    Ditto.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    learned a lot of stuff from bill about how to correct problems, setting up an efficient rig, why a delta 15a handles less power than a beta 15a even though the beta is rated for less power handling (xmax) ;) i appreciate him.

4. I know I have solicited advice from him. If I ever want to feel dumb, I'll just ask him about phase cancellation. It seems like a simple concept but he knows way more than is legal... come to think about it, he must be stopped before he turns into super brain. :D

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'll join the pile.
    Learned a great deal from BFM's posts.
    Built a pair of his cabinets. Great sounding rig. In fact, 3 great sounding rigs (mix and match the cabs). Still playing through them.

6. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    Bill has done more than any other single person on TB to increase the quality of my performance. I think this should be renamed the BFM Fan Club and give out numbers.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I definitely home in on BFM's posts.

8. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Everyone has a busy life, and time that could be spent on billable hours, (pun intended). Major thanks to Bill and others who know their subject and help us w/o expecting compensation.

9. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    A toast to Bill, a curmudgeon after my own heart...!

=wr=

10. Yep, couldn't agree more. I always pay attention to his posts and thanks BFM

11. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Nothing trumps reasoned argument based on reproducible data, which Bill consistently supplies, or at least implies when the will to monosyllabilism strikes ;). On the strength of this, I currently use a BFM-designed Jack 12 (on loan while mine is built), and I have never sounded better or travelled lighter.

Cheers, Bill

12. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Hear Hear! After getting my head around the knowledge he's pouring out, I got interested in seeing what he designs. Now I have a BFM PA, and the knowledge to use it.

13. Yes, props to Bill. I'm a civil eng myself. The man sure works wonders around here!

14. alexbbbb

alexbbbb

Jul 16, 2008
    Big thanks Bill!
    Learnt a lot reading those posts
    Learnt a lot building those cabs
    Loving a lot playing on those cabs

And thanks for TB and Internet to make that enlightenment accessible to the tiny countries at the bottom right corner of the maps.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bill pretty much rules. I like his attitude ... slightly grumpy like me. I apologize for speaking of you in the third person, Bill.

16. I want to join this thread to thank Bill for the time he spent to give me his suggestion (well...actually "teaching") to improve the building of my 2x10" (not completed yet).
    Experienced people who help people to achieve their targets having nothing in exchange than a simple "thank you" would deserve much more than what we can give them through a few written words.

Regards,

Roberto

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
  18. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I really appreciate Bill's concise, no-nonsense approach and scientifically proven advice!

19. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Bill is one of the most respected loudspeaker enclosure designers out there.
    All the advice he gives is always technically correct, sometimes
    we disagree but usually, if we do its because of some practical
    limitation related to a specific job I have to get done with only the equipment at my disposal.
    The other thing is I come from Ipswich UK and as he always recommends eminence over my old employer Celestion's products, we are bound to fight sometimes.:D

20. I always read Bill's posts with interest and attention - he is always on target.

IMO he's one of the most valuable resource people on TB!

And I always marvel at the foofs who won't pay attention to the valuable advice he provides at no cost to them - except yielding a bit of their pride. Some people just won't listen to good advice when it's given to them.