1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Crock Pot/Slow Cooker thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wraub, Oct 10, 2013.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    So, I cook a lot in a slow cooker.
    And, I am pretty sure that I can't be the only one.
    Jobs, family, gigs, etc, can get in the way of a tasty meal.
    But, sometimes, you gotta cook.

I fully admit to being a slow cooker, and I don't care who knows it. :D

Anyone want to throw in some recipes?

I will if you will...

;)

2. I'm in. Crock pot cooking is so easy; it's very hard to screw it up.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Here's one for lazy guys like myself.

Pork chops (I like the thin ones with the bone)
    Coarse chopped onion
    Barbecue sauce.

turn it on and forget about it until the aroma won't let you forget about it no more.

Maybe steam some broccoli or asparagus if you're energetic.

4. Is it "safe" to put them on and go out for a few hours?

5. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    I'm afraid to leave home with my stove/oven on :(

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Thin boneless pork chops. Bone in are fine too.
    Potatoes, we usually peel them, sliced to about the thickness of a nickel.
    Cream of mushroom soup.
    .....wait.....
    Add spices and shredded cheese before eating.
    WIN!

Portions and measurements vary for how many people you are feeding. Just eyeball it as you dump in ingredients. That's what I do. Be sure everything is covered in the soup though.

-Mike

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My wife is the crock pot girl... Me I'm the dutch oven devotee. If the house is burning, I'm taking the Le Cruesette right after cat dogs, basses and guitars...
    Shot and a beer stew and Coq au Vin a la Mark Bittman are the first two dishes that come to mind. Also did a nice leek white wine and pork cheek braise recently that was way yummy... Sow cooking on the stove is definately my thing.

8. I know what you mean about those Le Creuset french ovens. I have a few myself. My theme color is red, very dark on the bottom then gradually lighter on the way up.

9. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

Feb 1, 2013
    I do all the cooking in my house, being a househusband and all.
    My favorite is a nice pork loin, a chopped onion, some garlic, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and paprika. let that go for about six hours on low...mmmhmmm. That's good food.

10. Crock pots and slow cookers are basically the same. They run on electricity and the temp is about/between 180 to 200 degrees (F) or between 83 to 93 Celsius.

These cookers are usually left, to cook meats, for 4 -8 hours at a very low temperature. This produces a very tender cooked meat. And they're very safe.

11. Many times, I have put pork ribs with BBQ sauce in the crock pot at 10pm evening and left it on at a low temp setting. By morning, I'll have tender pork ribs, so tender the bones just slide out of the meat. And with less shrinkage.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Corned beef and cabbage! Yum!

Skinless boneless chicken thighs cover in equal parts hot salsa and grape jelly is pretty freaking good too.

13. Made a dried minestrone soup mix last weekend. Added tomatoes and Italian sausage. House smelled great and the soup was killer.

14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Glad to see my peeps here. I knew I wasn't alone...

Last night was Green chile pork: tomatillo salsa, roasted chiles, garlic, cumin, and a big ol' pork butt.

In by 10 am, ready to eat at at 6 pm. Also works well with chicken instead of pork.

Anyone else?

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    We use ours intermittently, but it's a nice option, especially since we're both regularly away from early morning until late at night.

I do a "chili" which is more of a stew, but still pretty tasty with some warm bread and a dollop of sour cream at the end of the day.

Leeks
    Onions
    Garlic
    Your choice of meat (or lack thereof)
    Beans
    Diced tomatoes
    Hatch peppers
    Jalapenos
    Stock/broth

About half an hour before serving add:
    Tomato paste
    Worcester sauce
    Tabasco sauce
    any additional seasoning...

16. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Mom uses them quite often. I've sworn I'm getting one when I move out. Do all the work while you get ready for the day, enjoy amazing hot food at the end of the day.

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Beans and Ham in the crockpot right now.
    A box of Jiffy cornbread mix when we get home from work tonight and supper's on.

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    As the weather turns cooler, and since I'm home most days, the crockpot is my friend this time of year.

My personal fave is a nice quick skillet rue poured in the crock, followed by a couple double handfuls of chopped veggies, whatever is fresh at the store that day, or frozen works if that's all you have or don't want to take the time to wash and chop fresh. Pour in just enough broth (whatever your personal favorite is) to cover the veggies. Put the pot on high and cover, cook until the veggies break down and you are left with a nice thick porridge, gravy, whatever? Take a couple pounds of venison backstrap, trim it good, then cut it into medium cubes and lightly flour and brown it in some bacon grease. Pour the meat and grease into the pot, turn the heat to low, cover it and walk away. I'll check it every few hours and skim off any grease that's worked it's way to the top. When the meat can be pulled apart with a fork it's ready. It's fine as is or can be served over rice or pasta if that's your pleasure.

My favorite way is to take some real crusty buns, cut them across and brown the soft side in a skillet with a little butter and garlic salt. Put the toasted side up on a plate and cover for an open faced sandwich. Some onion straws on the side and it's a proper meal you could feed to company.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I bought my first slow cooker a couple of months ago and am wondering why I waited so long. I love making chile verde, pork adobada, pulled pork, and whole chicken. I recently tried beef ribs...the slow cooker did an admirable job but beef ribs kind of suck!

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I know your dogs. They're nice enough, but...;)

Le Creuset French oven, this color. Chuck roast, marinated in a DIY vinegar-based hot sauce overnight. Jerk sauce and/or pepper-infused rum for pork. Plum/Thai basil/pepper jelly for chicken. Add veggies for last hour only. A little high temp, lid off cooking at beginning or end to taste, or brown both sides of meat at start.