1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Skjold Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Aug 29, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  2. First in the new thread.

Although I can honestly say I do not need another bass, the next time I have disposable income it will be a Skjold. Pete's work looks and sounds incredible.

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Talked on the phone with Pete for a while today. Very nice guy, and very helpful. We're working out the details of a bass.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome! :)

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yeah, mine isn't going to be as ornate as what some of you guys have. I'm going for function first to keep costs down. This will be my main gigging bass, a fiver, so I don't need it to be fancy. If it goes well then perhaps a 6 will follow!

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    YES!!!

You're not the only one to go this route, and really, it's the same bass musically. You'll LOVE it!!!

7. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    Got my new to me Skjold Pro. This is in totally new condition...it looks like it was never played.

VERY light and exactly what I would have ordered. The Bartolini preamp is very nice and tweakable...and the sound it quite sweet.

I certainly don't deserve a bass like this based on my playing (I've been playing 1 and a half years). But heck, I could afford it and Skjold is local, so why not.

It is gorgeous and I really love the birdseye maple neck.

Attached Files:

8. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    What is my Skjold club # ? ;)

Attached Files:

9. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    More pics

Attached Files:

10. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    Birdseye fingerboard

Attached Files:

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Man, that is a cool bass. That's the first one I've ever seen with those bart pickups in there. I bet it does sound great. I already know how it plays... sorta'... ;)

Apparently finished in October of '04. Yeah, it looks like it's brand new. Nice score!

12. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    After playing this for quite a while last night I am quite impressed. It plays better than anything I've played so far in my short time playing.

I have a little difficulty getting used to the neck since I play all Peavey basses with fairly thin necks. The neck on this is a lot like the TL5 I have (I had two and just sold one). It is flat and wider apart (19 vs 17 on most Peaveys) than Peaveys. It makes the transition from the TL5 to a 4 a lot easier...but I am not yet comfortable with it.

The preamp has a lot of adjustments. I have to get with Pete and see what the controls all do. There is a stacked knob with three adjustments...I'm not sure at all what they individually do. It is a NTMB 918F I think from the paperwork.

The three position midrange switch is VERY nice and is very useful.

13. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Subscribing....and following Pete all over this site!

14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep, that was exactly my approach. I think you will be very pleased with the result!

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yes, and honestly, the shape of the Skjold is such that I think the plainer looking models are more attractive. Just IMHO of course. I like the looks of yours and David Dyson's as much as any of the fancier models I've seen. My opinion might change as I grow more accustomed to the body shape. Just two short years ago I didn't care for the shape of these basses at all, but then again I've never really liked and angular design on any bass. The Skjold is the first, and now I think they look REALLY nice. I'm even digging the whale shapes!

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    HEY!!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
    ;)

17. It's o.k. Vic.. everyone is entitled to be WRONG!!! :eek:

just kidding Eublet!!;)

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, I thought you were talking to ME... *whew*... I was just about to take the PSD5 out to the wood chipper for being an idiot and getting a figured top... :eek: ;)
    :bag:

19. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    :D - I just spat my beer out laughing at this:eyebrow:

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois