1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Passive Club!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. i only own one active and it never gets a play

2. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    Had an active once; didn't care for it that much.
    Here's my current collection: '75 P, AV '62 P, CS '64 NOS Jazz, CS '64 NOS Jazz

[​IMG]

3. Go on then join me up

[​IMG]
    My no name passive p/j :) i does love her

4. boten607

boten607

Dec 1, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    slick! that is a badass collection!

I'm all passive! Fender MIM p-deluxe (older verison, passive with real metal pguard), Peavey T-40, and Hagstrom HB-4 (and just sold two other passive basses: Epi EB3 and '72 Electra EB3 copy)

I've tried several active basses and they just don't work with the way I play or the band I'm in...

stay heavy!

5. pasco jacorius

pasco jacorius

Jan 4, 2010
    Do some of you have switched from active to passive ? If yes , why ? (I'm on my way to do the same)

6. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Squier VM jazz and Dean Edge 09 are both passive.
    number me.

7. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king.

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    My active basses were early on in my playing....a Kramer Metalneck and an Aria Pro 2. Got rid of them back in the late 80s.

Since then I've used strictly passive electronics, no onboard preamps. Previous basses include a number of Fender/Squire Precisions (7), an Ibanez Blazer, a Peavy Palladium, Rickenbacker 4001S and 4003S, and a couple hotrodded SX's (an SPB and an SPJ).

These days I'm using three Ursa 1's (stock, with StrapLoks installed) that I've acquired in the past month and am looking at adding a couple of Ursa 2's to round out the sounds I get with the different types of strings I use.

8. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    I remember them back in the day; haven't seen one in ages. Thanks for the memory.

9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Passive, passive, passive, passive and passive.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
    Fender fretless Jazz
    Guild SB 202
    Washburn Force 8 Chicago (BRB)
    Gem short scale (hey it was my first bass - *I CAN'T* sell it!)

Edit... and passive! how could I forget my Aria sorta Diamond fretless violin hollow body with violin head bass?

Attached Files:

10. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    My P-bass and Epiphone are passive. The Aria and Squier I owned in the past were passive. Active basses have never really appealed. (Or they've been beyond my budget...) Go on, I'll have a number.

11. FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    @ pasco jacorius

I switched from active to passive because I prefer to have my tone come from the "wood" and from my hands.

I'm not saying active electronics / preamps are bad, they just don't give me the sounds I'm interested in.

Maybe it has something to do with the music I tend to listen to. I really like the 60s-90s rock/new wave/soul/blues/reggae/finger-funk/jazz-rock sounds the players of those eras got when using passive Precision and Jazz style basses (whether for all or only part of their career).

James Jamerson, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Carol Kaye, Bernard Edwards, Tina Weymouth, John Deacon, Bruce Thomas, Scott Thunes, Sting, Aston Barrett, Roger Waters, Stuart Zender, Mike Mills, Andy Rourke, Pino Palladino, Chuck Rainey, Rocco Prestia and of course Jaco Pastorius :)

12. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Yow that's a nice list-o-talent there!

13. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Sign me up - Ibanez SR505, Fender Mustang, Squire VM Jaguar, Squier Affinity P - all passive.

14. FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    @cchorney

Thank you. I feel especially lucky to have been introduced to so many of those bass players. Whether just listening to their work or attempting to learn it, I've had a great time over the last 24 years on "Four String".

15. Geddy Lee Jazz and a Steve Harris Signature P-Bass. Passive all the way!

16. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I have, actually. I used to have multiple active basses (mainly humbuckered) but I've only got 1 full active (Jazz) bass left, and 1 that's always in passive mode. I feel I get more of my sound out of passive basses, mainly Jazz basses. I don't need all those sound options on 1 bass, if you buy a good Jazz, that's all you need (IME). That's why I have 5 Jazzes:D