Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The problem with birdseye maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Feb 8, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    So I'm playing my Lakland 4-94, and I notice a couple of dings on the top of the neck on the fretboard. Since I just got it, I was wondering where they came from. Between sets, I take at the neck and realize that it wasn't any ding at all. It was the figuring on the birdseye maple that looked like a ding.

Anyone ever experience this?

2. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    The beauty about Birdseye Maple is it can look 3D in certain light. I've seen what you are talking about before but it's just the figuring in the wood.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    wood growth defects...gotta love em

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got scared about my Stingray, then I looked at the rest of the neck. Ding city, but I didn't feel one. Then it hit me, birdseye!

I know, I've been there too!

6. My bass top is flamed maple, but it has an odd figure on one spot. It doesn't look like birdseye at all, but I have had the same experience with it, under certain lighting conditions it seems there is a ding... perhaps our basses are implying we should take better care of them with subliminal messages? :D

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I had similar with my thumb. THe bubinga is highly figured, and it looked like it had this major indent (It gave the illusion of a real indent). So I poked at it for a few minutes, then realized it was some odd figuring.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

birdseye = :cool:. I too <3 birdseye.

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    My G&L has some very light birdseye figuring on it. It freaked me out when I first got it. There is one spot where it has a cluster of very light eyes on the back on the neck and I have grown to love it.