1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The reason why Gibson Thunderbirds are so cool...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. It's all about tone. :)

That and style. ;)

2. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    Martin Turner is still playing that Thunderbird, and it still sounds fantastic

3. I saw him live last year, he ran the bass through a Hartke for low end and an Ashdown ABM for the drive... It sounded the same as this wonderful tone.

It gives me the hump that the modern Thunderbirds sound nothing like this whatsoever.:scowl:

4. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I was just looking at a Zebrawood Thunderbird...it's such a good looking bass. I play all Fenders, but would love to own a Thunderbird down the road :)

5. MORE GIBSON THREADS!!!!!!!!!

I wish I loved T-Birds like the hard core Tbird fans do. I want to. They look cool, they sound great in the right hands and they have this sort of je ne c'est pas. I just can't make them work for me. I'm sure I will try again some day. In the meantime, I will leave them to those who can make them work so well.

Edit: I can't spell in French, so forgive me. i am still relatively sure thats what I meant to say.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Here's a T-Bird put to good use.

Definitely have my eye on one of Lull's T-Birds.

7. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you might mean je ne c'est quoi.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Man a blast from the past big Ash fan saw them in '72 ! Love martin and his Thunderbirds ! Live Dates is the best especially ballad of the Beacon !

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Had my first one not been a 5 stringer, I'd probably still have one. Yeah, for my money, it's the best bass tone Gibson ever gave us.

10. Yeah, that would make more sense wouldn't it? Shame of it is I am from and grew up in a state where French is the second language. IN some places, the first. Oh well, I'm a dipwad.

And on the other topic, if I could get a crack at a Lull T bird, that might just do the trick. Chances are I never will get the chance though.

11. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Here is a promo shot of me with my '69 Non reverse Thunderbird II dubbed the warbird, my main bass since '78. I have retired it from stage in the last year but it still makes gigs from time to time. JSmoke2410. Another NR I saved off of ebay it was in really rough shape when I got it, failed headstock repair, pup swapped out for a Dimazio model One, control area caved in., great player now. Before 67thunderbird. After 67TBthumbrest002. And one of my favorite stage basses a 2001 Tbird I modded the snot out of extended cutaway, Badass bridge, Dimarzio model G hidding under the chrome cove in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop repro Thunderbird pup in a '76 cover at the bridge. Charwithmytbird001. Opps forgot about this here is a Thunderbird II have have been restoring,started out like this 100_1979. and now looks like this 75J003.

12. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    im really diggin his dress. i would deffinetly wear that to a gig

13. Let me guess, a tribute band? Is it GWAR? :)

I have always liked the non-reverse a little better.

14. And kimonos.

15. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Not really a Thunderbird, I built this NR Fenderbird and use it a lot on stage, Powered by a Dimarzio Model G, next to Tbird pups these are my favorites, this thing is a flame thrower ! IMG_7220.

16. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    This thread is definitely a thRAD.

Gibenbackerbass has joined with TBird1958 and myself in the Gibson Bird Army, it seems.

(shows how awesome the T Bird's growl cuts through)

As for currently active bands making NEW music, Jared from Kings of Leon definitely does the most to bring out the nuances that only the T Bird provides. I could list an entire page of songs where his bass lines are so simple and effective and the tone is so perfectly matched with the dirty blues sound of those Gibson ES (and sometimes LP) guitars.

17. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Nothin' else has "the tone, the look...................The word is Thunderbird!

motor2.

18. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Mark, love the purple bird!

19. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thunderbird...Schmunderbird