1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Reverend Club (part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Have you tried the new Stingray Special? I like the Mercalli 5 and wondered how it compared with the latest version.

2. No- they look killer though!

I would assume based of the changes- that the output will be hotter, and the bass a little deeper.

Basically a bongo in a three band stingray package.

Pretty cool, but the absolute opposite of what the passive Reverend represents finally IMO- a more ballsy take on classic FENDer designs.

No expert though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    5StringPocket likes this.
  3. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    You buy this on Reverb? I almost bought one just like this, thumbrest and all. When with Mercalli FM instead.

4. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Yes! That's the one.

I bought it because it was the best price I had seen on a Reverend 5 and I prefer pickguards on them.

This past weekend I played one of the flamed maple 4 strings and it was amazing. Should be getting the bass tomorrow.

Daniel Piper and raphaeld like this.
  5. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    LOL, and I did the exact opposite.

Tried the black Mercalli 5 and ordered the flame maple 5!!

6. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Just "found" this GAS video
    Enjoy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    Same.

raphaeld likes this.
  8. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    Yeah, its been up there a while. I was shocked it didn't sell quicker. I almost snagged that one but then saw a green mercalli fm that was just a few bucks more. It looks awesome, I've just never liked black guitars, probably because I'm a greaseball and leave marks all over them .

raphaeld likes this.
  9. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I have a question about the pickups in the Mercalli 5’s. Are they humbuckers or do you get that irritating hum when the bridge pickup is soloed?

Thanks

Shaun

10. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    I've had 3 Mercalli 5's and never had any hum at all. I've sold all of mine but I'm wanting another one....

ODDBALL likes this.
  11. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I’m an active user but I have been wanting something pretty simple. How would you describe the output on these? Can you get a nice thick tone? I’m on a large worship team with a full stage and full PA support. Will this bass fit in?

Thanks

Shaun

12. jmbjandfam

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    That's exactly the setting that I have used mine in and they have sounded great. Very hot output for a passive bass with a really deep, thick tone.

ODDBALL likes this.
  13. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What’s the typical weight on these?

14. jmbjandfam

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    Mine were 9.2, 9.4 and 10.4 but I've seen them in the 8.5 to 8.8 range which is what I'm currently hunting for. I passed on one of the earlier ones (without a forearm contour) that was in the upper 7lb range. Kinda wish I would have given that one a try but I was coming off the 10.4 (without contour) and it was downright uncomfortable for me.

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Ima put mine up for sale soon. Just can’t get along with the 19mm string spacing. (I’m a Music Man guy.) Will post soon.

16. Hold on- isn't yours that delicious violin brown with neck binding???!??

Mmmm

17. Will be perfect. This bass doesn't do honky, doesn't do clank, but does do clear balanced deep bass. Like a P with more top and deeper bottom IMO

DanTheQuaker likes this.
  18. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yes. Bound and blocks, Black headstock. I’m traveling and will get an ad up in the classifieds soon.

19. Did you dig the tone of the Mercalli?

20. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    I did an open mic type performance with mine and everyone else was using active basses and mine sounded pretty small in comparison but obviously that was due to EQ settings on the house amp. So compared to your active basses, you might find it sort of lacking.

I dropped a Bartolini into my reverend a few months back.