1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Reverend Club (part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. I loved me a Reverend new colours day!

2. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
  3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    The two new designs still haven't been approved

4. Looks like you guys have been busy enough!

5. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Thundergun at last weekend's gig...

Professors at Peddlers.

Attached Files:

6. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I'm looking to pick up one of these Reverend's, preferably a 5 string Mercalli. Anybody know of someone who might be interested in selling?

7. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    How many of you guys are actual professors?

8. I am.

I thought we all were here.

Rezdog and matrok like this.
  9. DanTheQuaker

Nov 6, 2015
    There used to be three college professors in the band. Now there's only one (the lead guitarist). But we haven't been able to agree on a different name. ;^)

10. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I just found a great deal on a Reverend Mercalli 5 string off of Reverb and purchased it. Will report back when it comes in!

11. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Nice!! tease us with some pics!!

12. Was in a nice store today and played some stingrays. And a cutlass.

Eww.

Now I can honestly say I'm a reverend man!

raphaeld likes this.
  13. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    yeah did that as well but before buying the Mercalli 5. Wasn't impressed by the MusicMan at all. Didn't get the Wow factor I got with the Reverends.
    Still don't get the hype around MM basses, they're meh and certainly not up to their price, at least IMO.

14. I used to be a real EBMM man.

Stingrays in particular. Still have a 5 string Reflex.

Reverend basses just have this awesome modern take on a classic buttery tone.

NO CLANK

5StringPocket and matrok like this.
  15. DanTheQuaker

Nov 6, 2015
    I bought my Thundergun to be a backup bass for my Stingray. I ended up selling the Stingray and making the Reverend my primary.

raphaeld and Daniel Piper like this.
  16. I'm pretty sure I've read about it already- but what was your reasoning behind your change/love for the thunderguns?

17. We would love to hear about your role at Reverend and any tidbits about working at our favourite guitar design/maker!

18. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Sure thing...

gdbdjuobngfkgmkrhkpg.

gzspu1ejq8ufx5aalmza.

I'm a big fan of the "blacked out" look, especially with pickguards.

So this one was perfect for me.

matrok, Dec1975, zbigniew and 3 others like this.
  19. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    She's beautiful!! Congrats.

phillipkregg likes this.
  20. DanTheQuaker

Nov 6, 2015
    For the last several years I had been playing almost exclusively fretless, using my beloved Rob Allen MB-2, but I joined an Americana/classic rock band a year ago and that necessitated playing mostly fretted. I procured a Stingray, since I used to play one of those "back in the day" and loved that sound and it always felt natural for me to anchor my right-hand thumb on the bridge pickup. I used the Stingray for a few months with the new band but one day, the day before a gig, the wiring in the battery compartment crapped out, leaving the bass dead in the water. So I decided I needed a backup bass (maybe a Ray34). Then I decided to have the backup bass be passive. Then I decided it would be nice to have a neck pickup also, to take advantage of different tonal possibilities. I liked the look of the Reverends. Tried out a Dub King in a store and liked the quality, the neck width, the tonal options and that comfortable bridge pickup for my thumb (but I didn't want short scale). Then I saw a used Thundergun on eBay and took a chance. Very quickly I found myself leaving the Stingray in the case and using the Reverend. I love the quality and the way it sounds and feels and balances. I love that I don't have to worry about batteries or battery compartment wiring. Aesthetically, I dig Stingrays but I really love the look of the Thundergun: it is its own unique thing but also reminds me a little of a Tbird and of a P and of a J and of a Stingray.