1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Reverend Club (part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I'd say I use the neck pickup 80% of the time and the bridge pickup 20% of the time (when I really want the bass to punch through the mix). I always use one or the other pickup full-on; I don't blend the pickups because I find the loss of volume and tone unusable (on both my Thundergun and my Mercalli). For me, a pickup selector switch would work better than the blend knob. One of these days I'm going to try getting them wired VVT and see how that works.

But the two sounds I do get, full bridge pup or full neck pup, are really all I need and both sound tremendous. I also vary which pickup I place my right (plucking) hand over for additional nuance.

whatacnut likes this.
  2. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    I do the same but tend to goose up the bridge PU if I do anything with the B. I modded mine to have a volume for each PU, I like both PUs full on too. Can't find love for the bridge PU solo'd.

DanTheQuaker likes this.
  3. DanTheQuaker

Nov 6, 2015
    Seano76, with your VVT modification, when you run both pups on full do you still get the weak "out-of-phase" scooped tone like what occurs with the blend knob? Or is it better?

4. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Loads of new basses shown on Reverend's FB live video just now!

BeauZooka and FingerDub like this.
  5. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    A bunch of 3 pickup basses! I think I saw three single coil pickups in one Bass and two single coil with a p in the middle like an old Stu Hamm. I didn't have time to look through the whole video though.

6. Oh lord ... What have I done?

I've owned almost everything under the sun at one point or another (73 different basses in 38 years of playing/slutting), but never a Reverend. I loved the Rumblefish that I tried when they first came out back in the prior millennium, but for some reason I never bought one.

It's funny: Since I have black tapes on my Gen 1 slab P, and La Bella flats on my Gen 2 ano P, having this strung with rounds actually fills a piece of the puzzle—between the Precisions and my Roscoe LG5. At least, that is how I am justifying the acquisition ...

No more purchases in 2019! Resolution #9!

image. BTW: Any ideas how old it is? I am guessing at least a few years (though it literally looks brand new) ...

jmbjandfam likes this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Should be able to tell by the serial number. Congrats, beautiful Bass.

8. That thing is awesome!!!!

Probably around 2013-2014 would be my guess.

Where did you get it?

9. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Yes, that is the older nut, not the newer Boneite nut. We've used those for at least 2 years now.

10. Some real cool new instruments shown today! You guys must be proud to finally show them off!

11. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Liked the Brad Houser signature, although I would imagine it will cost a good bit more than a Mercalli. I still haven't received mine yet in the UK even though I ordered it last August!

12. Mine took a good few months to reach the outskirts of our fair empire. Hang in there!

13. DanTheQuaker

Nov 6, 2015
    That is one beautiful bass!

14. Thanks y'all, I am pretty stoked. It was a local guy that was blowing out some of his gear at really low prices. When I caught wind this was going up on the block, I didn't hesitate.

15. Good on ya!

I’ve actually looked high and low for that exact colour combination online - but they are pretty rare!

16. The mercalli 4 FM wasn’t made for long I think

17. Nope, he said only for a couple years in the 4 string honey flame maple. I played it a bunch today through my MoMark 800 and NY 151 Randy Jackson cab ... SOOOOOOOOoooooooo many amazing tones! I got a feeling this is going to be my go-to bass for a spell ...

jmbjandfam likes this.
  18. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The Triad and new Houser models loook great, can’t wait for the bigger demos but they sounded and looked fantastic

19. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    I liked the gold Raymond too and am intrigued by the jazz pickup in the neck position on some of these models. However, I've been told by the retailer that my Mercalli is due in this week, so I'm going to buy it and see. Maybe go off the internet for the next few months and avoid RAS, not GAS!

20. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I’ll most likely be getting a triad. I’ve always wanted a Gibson G3 but lately the prices have skyrocketed. This is a great alternative.