1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Reverend Club (part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Just like I think there should be a coil split switch on the bridge HB of the Mercalli, why not have three on/off switches for the triad to get EVERY pickup option? I mean, if you are sticking with passive systems, there is a lot that can be done pretty easily to maximize the circuits, no? Just my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation) ...

2. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    You wouldn’t even have to have 3 separate switches. Just use a push pull pot and the five way like they use on the Pete Anderson east sided. Seems like a fairly easy mod though.

3. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I was just on the Bay and saw this Rumblefish listed for sale priced at $1,523.00. Ships from Japan. I'm 99% positive that this is a fake Fish. Or at the least one with a replaced neck. Take a look at the truss rod access. That doesn't look like any Reverend bass neck I've ever seen. Looks like a Fender MIM. Also no SN or initials on the back of the headstock. Body edges seem way too yellowed as well.

What does everyone think?

Reverend Rumblefish Used Electric Bass FREE Shipping | eBay

4. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Definitely sketchy. Is a standard bent plate bridge what they used on Rumblefishes? Skunk stripe neck? Also, isn't the pickguard supposed to be corrugated aluminum? And don't they write on the back of the neck when they set up a bass and The Tech Guy signs it?

Plake likes this.
  5. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Also replying to post #1203:

Bridge looks fine to me. I'm not seeing any problem with the truss access from the pics, seems to match my Rumblefish. Skunk stripe necks happened on the earlier examples of Rumblefish (I have one). Not sure on the pickguard. The signature being absent from the back of the headstock is curious, mine and all others I've seen have been signed either ZSG or by Joe Naylor. Body edge yellowing is VERY common on these.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    mdlewis and BeauZooka like this.
  6. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Does the Mercalli 4 sound anything like a Stingray HH? I'm really hoping the answer is no, as I had one of those a few years back and never bonded with it. I'm due to receive my Merc this week after a very long wait and just hope I won't be disappointed.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have a Thundergun. Same pickups and electronics as the Mercalli. Doesn’t sound anything like a Stngray...sounds more like my L2000.
    (I have 35-year-old flatwounds on it, though)

whatacnut likes this.
  8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Sometimes the markings on the back of the headstock can get worn off. On one my BH5's the markings are partially worn off. It would take a big effort to replicate the body of an original Fish. Looks to me like the real thang.

Rezdog

Dub56 likes this.
  9. Ditto.

10. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Thanks for the info.
    I was just surprised that the neck was so similar to a Fender neck in looks and TR access style. My Rumblefish also has a bent plate bridge too. I know the sides can get yellow but I'd just never seen one that yellowed out before. After I read your post I did see that the early and a few of the last ones made had skunk stripes. So the bass I posted about is probably legit. As to why no s/n or initials? That's anybody's guess.

11. On my BH5 the serial has almost totally worn off. Since it was just written on in marker, it could well have come off from someone getting overenthusiastic in polishing.

mdlewis and Rezdog like this.
  12. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars

The original prototype had 3 volume knobs and a tone! I strongly suggested a kill switch if they were going to keep that setup. I also suggested three on/off switches. Joe decided on the simpler route of a 5 way switch. Andy Irvine just did the demo videos last friday. He's in love with the redesigned jazz bomb pickups.

13. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars

One of the reasons we stopped making the phenolic bodies, was because the mold for the plastic ring wore out. The expense to have a new mold made wasn't worth it. I doubt if a forger would go through the expense of having a mold made for outside ring.

60bass and mdlewis like this.
  14. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    From the sneak peak ken did on Facebook I can see why Andy likes them. I’ve always thought reverend jazz pickups were a little tame. The jazz bombs sound quite a bit more aggressive.

redstrand likes this.
  15. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I’m looking forward to the triad demo, it’s the only thing I could add without the wifey getting mad cause I don’t have one already lol

16. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks makes perfect sense.

17. I have a chance to pick up a gold Justice 4 with a maple board from the same guy I got my Mercalli 4 FM from. Thinking pretty seriously about pulling the trigger on it after my recent excellent experience with the Merc ...

18. Certainly looks sweet ...
    image.

zbigniew, redstrand, 60bass and 2 others like this.
  19. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    Sort of. I find it usable though.

20. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Just completed my order this afternoon for a Mercalli 4 in metallic copper fire. A long 48 hour wait lies ahead lol. After nearly a six month wait that's nothing and I am super excited to eventually get to play this thing. Will report back in a couple of days.

paddydaddyo, Turtle71 and jmbjandfam like this.