The right set-up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sub Freq, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014
    Hello fellow bassist,

This website has alot of useful information on everything a bassist needs. However, I have a question in regard to set-ups. I believe in only buying something once, not buying something and figuring out that I should've bought product "B". I play a 4-string Fender Jag and I'm using a combo amp Acoustic 20 (please don't laugh). My style of playing is smooth and low, Jazz, R&B and Neo-soul. I don't do alot of slapping or popping.

I'm not going to ask what's better or why its better. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. My budget is $2000 and I have a suv to move the rig.

I'm looking to future proof myself with a head amp and cabs consisting of 1x15 and 2x12's..

Is there a head amp that can run such a set-up without having to buy a second amp? What head amp offers an aux out for IEM?

I do apologize for this long post, but I played a gig last night a local coffee spot and I was really dissatisfied with my sound. I want to be able to not just hear it, but to feel it too....

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. 70'sRockChild

70'sRockChild Guest

May 4, 2014
    San Diego, Ca
    Sub, I'm no expert, but since no one has posted, my two cents are; take some time to read a lot of post in here just to get more background on what others like and use. Use the search box to narrow your results. There are probably hundreds of amp head and cab combinations, and the only real answer is what sounds good to you. A price range and music playing goals for the system may help get more replies. So, maybe I can get the ball rolling for you by suggesting you look at (and go play if you live near a store), a 250w carvin combo with 2x10 that can drive an extra 15" if you want to. Good luck!:bassist: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB210

Sub Freq likes this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I recommend against mixing different types and sizes of drivers unless you use a cross-over and have selected all the drivers based on the role they will play in a two or three way system.

Two 115 cabs or two 212 cabinets, or even a 412 would be a better alternative to mixing a 115 and a 212. The reasons are numerous, but the two most important are that the power handling and differing EQ requirements of any two such miss-matched cabs nearly always result in poorer performance, despite what conventional wisdom and marketing jive assert.

Adding a 15 does not "bring the lows," unless it is a specialized sub. Moreover, one of the cabs will be the weak link, and will prevent full benefit from its "mate." However, you can somewhat overcome those balance problems with a two channel power amp.

All IME.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014

Dr. Jim,
    Thank you for the info. I'm actually getting into playing live so this is truly a learning experience. From what I gather from some of the posters here, that it's better to have too much than not enough because you can always adjust the volume. I do understand though about using a two channel amp for the separate cabs, but I didn't know about mixing two different sizes.

5. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014
    RockChild,
    Thank you for responding. I'm still going thru all the different post and reading alot of reviews and suggestions. My budget is $2000... And thanks for the carvin link.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Budget and portability are key factors.

Sub Freq likes this.
  7. "Coffeeshop gig" says much less volume than the kind that flaps your pants and rumbles your kidneys. 2x10 max kind of situation.

Sub Freq likes this.
  8. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014
    That's a good point too and the reason why I'm staying away from 4x10 cabs for now.

9. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for chiming in Mr. Wonder. One of the issues I had while performing is that I couldn't hear myself. I tried angling the amp but that didn't even help.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get a really good 8 ohm 210 to start and then a second 210 later. This can create a rig that is portable, flexible, fail-safe, and better than a 410 in every way.

210array.jpg

Downunderwonder and Sub Freq like this.
  11. I hear ya, my first gig was like that. Still, what I mean is there is a big step up again between hearing and FEELING.

Sub Freq likes this.
  12. Excellent advice.

Sub Freq likes this.
  13. With 2k to play with you should be fully geared up on day 1.

Sub Freq likes this.
  14. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014

LOL...... I'll just save the rest for a rainy day.... But I do appreciate the info...

15. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    If you only want to buy once, you need to do a lot of test driving. Most amps/cabs have a "flavor" to them; you need to find your flavor. Lots of good suggestions so far...

Are you a knob twister or set-it-and-forget-it type of person? Pre-amp sections vary widely. Another reason for test driving.

2K should get you a sweet rig, buying used can stretch your investment even more.

=wr=

Sub Freq likes this.
  16. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014
    This all makes alot of sense. Not really a nob twister, but I like having the ability to dial in my tone.

17. Every room is different from the last. More EQ ftw. If you're going to hang out at TB you can go poweramp with pedals and go blind mad and broke over the years tweaking. I "managed" with my, now vintage, Trace rig for best part of 20 years before I got into TB. You should be so lucky.

18. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014
    LOL, you're right!! I got my eye on MXR Octave pedal and Envelope Filter..

19. Add the fdeck HPF3 for keeping the octaver in check, stat.

20. Sub Freq

Sub Freq

Dec 14, 2014

I'll definitely check it out.....