1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Slip

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by rahul_2092, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hey Justin, I am just wondering who played all the bass lines on the slip?

2. Tusknia

Tusknia

Jul 8, 2008
    Sussex, UK
    I don't think he performed any of them.
    I always thought that Justin came on board after the
    album was released and only played the live shows.

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Yup. TR played all the basslines on The Slip. He's really exceptional and creative on the instrument.

JMJ

4. Tusknia: I know Justin didnt play on the slip.Just wondering who played the bass

JMJ :- What is your fav song of the slip,to play live and while listening to the album?

5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Letting You and Head Down

6. Did TR write all the guitar,drums,etc or did the he give basic outlines to the other band members,and they just kinda came with with stuff using the outlines?Was the
    entire album recorded at TR's home studio?

7. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    He wrote most everything, and directed people on certain aspects of sounds and approach. People had a bit of latitude as well, as far as I know.

No, the album was recorded at his studio and at Sound City as well.

8. Hey Justin, What song did you find easiest to learn on the Slip? What song did you have a tough time learning from The Slip?

Thank for replying :)

9. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Easy or difficult don't really rate for me. Even if there's something seemingly simple, I rehearse it just the same as something very challenging, because there's always some nuance to explore and perfect.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya Rahul, sometimes the easiest sounding songs can end up being the most difficult. That's why Justin likes to talk about practicing at playing whole notes at slow metronome speeds. I've heard dudes that can burn up the fretboard but couldn't hit whole notes on the one in a slow song if their life depended on it. And as someone who has played bass professionally for over 30 years, I can tell you that being able to hit whole notes on the one in a slow song is a much more marketable skill than being able to play a Victor Wooten solo note for note.

And even more marketable is the skill to make those boring old whole notes sound fresh and exciting. That's where exploring the nuances of a song comes in. It's the difference between making it sound like a practice exercise and making it sound like music. And that's why our formerly puffy-haired pal Justin makes the big bucks ;)

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I just got turned on to the Slip recently with "Children of December" off a compilation album. I should have known you had you mitts in this project somehow.

You often seem to be connected with music i really dig, spoooky :-}

12. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    jady, i think you may be mistaken- this thread is discussing the NIN album The Slip.

the band The Slip has Marc Friedman on bass... a great fretless player and another one of my favs. they are a great band w/ occasionally shakey vocals. children of december is a rad song, i love marc's sliding harmonics.

13. Jimmy :- Thanx for the advice :) Any suggestions on the minimum speed i should start practicing the whole notes?

JMJ :- Could you tell me if there is any sort of theme going on with 'The Slip'

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say start at 90 BPM and go down gradually 3-5 BPM to about 50. Concentrate on getting a nice round note, make your fingerings as smooth as possible, and a little tip Dave LaRue gave me...try to lay each note ever so slightly behind the beat...he says it's really effective in slow songs to play just behind the beat, and it keeps you from rushing, which is harder than you might think to keep from doing once you start into the 70 BPM range and below.

15. thanks for the tip Jimmy :)

16. Hey Justin, How's it going? I was wondering in the bonus DVD, are the videos shot during the actual rehearsals or were the videos shot of you guys playing a few songs, specifically for the Bonus DVD?

17. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Actual rehearsals, filmed specifically for the Bonus DVD.