1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

The Sushi Box FX Secret Society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kranahan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Had to double check the schematic, but quite similar. The biggest difference is tone stack placement, PA has it between stages 1 and 2, 400+ has it after stage 2, like LU. So basically

LU + PA tone stack + cathode follower (output buffer) = Bass 400+

2. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    The power supply I use in all of my pedals is capable of delivering 400V, I would just need bigger components. Typically I drop the voltage of preamps if they're super high to run the tubes around 240V so I can get away with 250V caps.

TodaysTomSawyer and kranahan like this.
  3. Curiosity question:
    So to make a "Sushi Bass 400+," all it would need would be to add the cathode? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering if that would be a difficult add to the JKLU... Perhaps a custom option? Or would it even be worth adding, if the buffer is the only difference between the two?

JHS and Vertex's buffer videos have popped into my Youtube feed recently for whatever reason, and I'm right on the fence... is a buffer worth adding to my chain? Vertex claims we should have an input and an output buffer...

5sg.

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  4. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

So a LU/PA X + a Vampire Slayer will get you in the same ballpark?

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

All depends. It’s hard to make a hard and fast call. Detail your entire signal chain starting with your bass and ending with your amp.

fivestringgecko and Sushi Box FX like this.
  6. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    The buffer is a tube stage though, so it would need an extra tube in the box, which means not likely an available upgrade. It would need to be designed onto a new board to incorporate the buffer.

Yup, that would absolutely do it.

Exactly this. People that make and sell buffers will tell you that you need as many buffers as they can reasonably sell you. It 100% depends on your setup.

7. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    I vote for the 400+

8. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Could use a MOSFET for the buffer. Small, power efficient, and widely regarded as a suitable substitute for a cathode follower.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Eric Cioe likes this.
  9. Ah, gotcha. I've never had the fortune of owning a Mesa Boogie anything, so I was unaware how they do it. But, Mesa Boogie in a box? I'm sure if you devised it, it'd probably sell well. Especially if it had a DI! :thumbsup:

Point well taken about people who sell buffers, I had exactly that thought as well @Sushi Box FX. Vertex doesn't have any dedicated buffers of his own though, he actually recommends the Mesa buffer as a top choice.

I'm really happy with my sound, and haven't previously given buffers a second of thought before just these last couple days. At the height of gigging before Covid, every group I play/sub for was on in-ears or transitioning to them, and I also started incorporating a wireless instrument transmitter. That's leaves my longest cable run (which seems to be Mason's main talking point) at 10-20 feet, unless I'm on my wireless transmitter. <shrug> So maybe I'm not as "on the fence" about buffers as I previously posted. :)

5sg.

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  10. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a 400+ downstairs. I should use it sometime.

11. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Huh. Now I know why I didn't like the Mesa Walkabout Scout when I owned it. Fender tone stack.

12. The Walkabouts didn't have the Fender stack.

13. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Oh well. Either way, hated that thing. I know so many liked it, too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  14. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Quick February batch update: of the total 38 builds for the month, 30 are ready to go, just need backplates and knobs installed, so shipping notices will be going out for those tomorrow. The remaining 8 (mostly Deep Dish, Sunnday Drive, stuff that takes more time) should be finished tomorrow night and ship out tuesday.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

suhideliver.jpg

16. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    macmanlou, NKBassman and Sushi Box FX like this.
  17. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Better late than never.

18. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    I vote D-180 too, especially if LU+PA tonestack is a buffer away from the 400+.

gh0st42, map34157 and Sushi Box FX like this.
  19. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    @Sushi Box FX
    I'm not personally familiar with the Mesa 400+ or D180, but I'd vote for whatever makes the most sense in terms of adding value to your portfolio. With the PA and LU already being so similar, I don't think there's any sense adding another minor variation on the Fender tone stack just for the sake of doing a Mesa bass pre, IMO. But if it's different enough to offer a unique sound, then go for it! Also, it's all you so do whatever you want! lol. Just offering my opinion.

That being said, there seems to be a Marshall shaped hole in the list of pedals you offer. I think we've talked about this before and maybe you'd started working on something but were having issues with it? I know early Marshalls were variations on the Fender circuit, but something like a Marshall Super Bass, with the intention of capturing more of a grindy tone, would be pretty cool. Also something along the lines of a JMP/Plexi/JCM800 would probably garner some attention from the guitar players out there.

Opinions: I has them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  20. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Has anyone tried the Black Eye yet? I was listening to some Gov't Mule over the weekend and now suddenly I feel like I need some Soldano tonez for my guitar board. :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Sonicblaze likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021