The Sushi Box FX Secret Society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kranahan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    There are plenty of Slampeggs out there that aren't matte black, but the matte black Slampegg is more common than any other combination. Since the full color option has become available it's become more commonly ordered recently, and they're getting close in numbers, but matte black still has a small lead.

2. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    So this came a day early ... Won't get a chance to try it until tonight tho!

Attached Files:

3. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    So I got to play a little bit with it during lunch. I gotta say, the S in SBVT should stand for "smooth.". It's got a nice gain structure, responsive EQ ..

@Sushi Box FX what are the corresponding frequency ranges for the mid freq knob 1-8?

4. aekisz

aekisz

Jul 4, 2006
    Top Secret. What's your clearance?

moon-bass likes this.
  5. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    I have absolutely no idea, I'll do some math. I figured that question would come up :p

NKBassman, moon-bass and macmanlou like this.
  6. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I have Double Secret Probation Clearance, thank you very much! :)

aekisz likes this.
  7. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I had a chance to play with the SBVT a little more before (between ending work and heading out for dinner) and I gotta say that it sounds fantastic. You can definitely hear the SVT roots in it - it's got that classic rock tone. Gain low, it's smooth, has a little bit of that SVT bite. Throw the "ultra low" switch on, and you get that nice SVT grunt, the "ultra high" switch gives you glassy, airy highs and robust harmonics. My preference ATM is "low" on and "high" off.

The EQ works great, it's responsive, but also in some ways a little subtle. As mentioned, it's very clear and smooth at lower gain positions, but at higher gain it gets some good OD (for me, with an active Sadowsky NYC) once I get past 1:00 on the gain knob, i start to hear some good OD which eventually turns into that classic SVT grind that we all know and love(more gain = more grind). It doesn't get into fuzz territory, but it will do a hefty grundy (that a combination of grindy and grunty) that put a big smile on my face.

One thing that is nice is the 8 position switch, it is really helpful in finding the right mid freq boost to enhance a fretless.

I need to spend more time with it, but all in all so far it's a winner. Also - it's dead, dead quiet. No noise whatsoever, which is amazing since i live about 500 feet from the WWOZ broadcast towers.

8. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC Area
    Well. This is a bummer...my SBVT was supposed to arrive today...and USPS tracking claims it has...but it isn't in fact here... :-(

kranahan likes this.
  9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Inquiring minds want to know :)

10. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Maybe I should go check my mailbox. I’m not expecting anything but weirder things have happened.

benjobass, NKBassman and krfoss like this.
  11. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    My wife and I routinely find USPS and others will see a package has been delivered through the tracking number but have no package on our doorstep. It usually comes the following day for some reason.

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    @Sushi Box FX when do you anticipate shipping the rest of June orders?

13. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    This happens to me all the time. They are trying to make their metrics.

14. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    So I have a Helix LT coming Tuesday and I'm going to do a comparison between the three. Would you guys prefer a blind test for recording or do you want to know what each is. I'll also give my impressions of each.

Sonicblaze likes this.
  15. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Both. Make the recording of all 3, and put the answers/your details inside a SPOILER section of your post (found under the + button); we can listen blind, decide, then see the answers/your details

krfoss and moon-bass like this.
  16. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Everything I've shipped so far has been May orders, I've started on the June orders and they will go faster than typical batches (which usually ship around the end of the month or the beginning of the following month), but I'm aiming for getting the June batch shipped next week.

17. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Thanks! Looking forward to checking out some Sushi.

dedpool1052 and Sushi Box FX like this.
  18. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I had some more time to play thru the SBVT tonight.

One thing I really like about the SBVT is that it let's the character of the bass shine through. It reacts differently to different types of basses. It's really nice that way, it amplifies the good qualities of various basses that I tried. Crisp highs and harmincs really ring, and thumping lows esp with the deep switch engaged. I think that in order to get the most of it, you have to find the sweet spot for the bass and preamp, but it's pretty easy to dial in once you get the hang of it.

Also, sounds great with fretless. Usually I need to add a parametric EQ to a preamp for fretless, but not sure if I need to for the SBVT.

I A/B'ed it with the Super 300 and have a lot of thoughts on the comparison now.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  19. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I’d like to hear this. Everybody loves the 300 but I could not get along with the thing. No clean anywhere on the gain dial no matter what I did. I want smooth tube like overdrive, not in your face distortion.

gtirard, FronTowardEnemy and Poke like this.
  20. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I'll go on record that I love the Super 300 and I love the SBVT, but for different reasons. They are definitely different Preamps. I was going to wait until I was able to make some recordings but it might be a bit before I can so ..
    The SBVT and S300 are pretty different. The number one issue that folks have with the 300 is the gain structure - not a lot of room before you start getting OD. I personally don't have that issue, but I can tell you that the SBVT has a lot more gain before you start hitting OD and it's also a softer, more gradual approach to OD. In other words, the 300 OD is more abrupt. That being said, the 300 will get hairier, much more OD and distortion than the SBVT, so there is a trade off.

The SBVT doesn't have a "bright" footswitch, which is something that I love on the 300. I can dial my gain up to the point just below OD on the 300 and then kick into good OD with the "bright" on. The SBVT OD is super, super smooth tho.

I think the SBVT sounds really good on fretless, I find that I have to tweak the 300 a little more.

I think the best way to sum up the differences between the two is like this (and I hope this makes sense) - the SBVT is a preamp based on the SVT while the Super 300 is more like an SVT in a box. The SBVT is more transparent - the good qualities and the flaws on the bass come thru, while the SVT takes on more characteristics of playing thru an SVT with an 8*10. The SBVT is definitely smoother - I chalk that up to the tubes - but the S300 is dirtier and grungier, and it also has the bright footswitch.

All in all they are both winners. I've been looking for something like the SBVT for a long, long time - a preamp that imparts some character but doesn't overwhelm the sound, and the 8 position mid switch is fantastic, esp for fretless. If I could have one change I would make the mid freq variable rather than 8 position, but this is a small gripe. I vastly prefer the SBVT over a lot of pedals with true parametric.

The S300 fulfills a different purpose, and it's purpose it to ROCK. Thick, grindy, juicy. It reminds me of playing through a big old tube amp, and the OD is top notch.

TheLopp, NKBassman, gtirard and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021