The Sushi Box FX Secret Society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kranahan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    moon-bass and Sushi Box FX like this.
  2. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I just got my shipping notice! Psyched!!!!!

3. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Alright, everything was dropped off at the post office about two hours ago. I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks when they get a chance to try them out, as I am first of all biased as to their quality, and second of all a pretty mediocre bassist that can't really put things through the paces.

Also, it turns out SBVT is just barely too heavy to send first class, so you all got free priority mail upgrades :p

PeterH, moon-bass, TheLopp and 2 others like this.
  4. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I'll post a review after I get mine. Also, if folks are interested, I can do a comparison with the ME Super 300, which imo is currently the best SVT preamp pedal on the market (it was a big factor in me selling my rack SVT preamp).

5. Ooh nice I can't wait to hear that demo and comparison

6. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Have a question for those who may know.

I have two tube amps with a Fender tone stack, a Fender Super Bassman, and an Ashdown LB30.

I have a PAX, and when I place all the tone knobs to “0”, I still get a signal to pass. This is opposite of my tube amps with the Fender tone stack. At “0” on the tube amps no signal passes.

Is this normal for the PAX to pass a signal with all tone knobs set to 0?

Thanks

Roxbororob likes this.
  7. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Same observation with mine.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  8. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Thanks

9. @FronTowardEnemy & @Roxbororob I wanted to bring up the same question about the tone stack after spending time dialing in my new to me PA and having the same observation.

Roxbororob and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  10. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    It didn't used to do that, that was a modification I added around version 3 or so of the Particle Accelerator. I had seen it done in other preamps (most notably Soldano) and people refer to it as a "bass floor" and "gain floor". On the very first version of the PA if either the gain or bass were turned all the way down there would be no signal passing, but there were some cases where it would squeal. So I set a minimum value for bass and gain that would allow a small amount of signal to pass to prevent oscillation.

11. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Thank you for the explanation.
    I was just curious about it, the pedal itself is glorious.

bassbrad and Sushi Box FX like this.
  12. MrBass617

MrBass617

Mar 13, 2013
    ATL
    I recently got a PAX (11/20 dated) and love it, but I am curious if the gain control is a negative feedback design, it crackles when adjusted. My Slammpegg B PreX arrives today.

13. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Well, I can't promise audio because that involves more work lol. I also have a Helix LT on the way, I'll plan on comparing that as well (SVT patch of course). Too bad I don't have an actual SVT anymore ...

14. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    It isn't, I honestly have no idea why it crackles. I've tried a few fixes as I've had people ask about it (my personal PAX crackles as well) and none of them have gotten rid of it. I was wondering if maybe the gain floor was affecting it, but the Black Eye has the same gain floor and it doesn't crackle. The weirdest thing is that the original PA gain control didn't crackle, and the only thing that changed between the two designs was the tube. So I wish I had answers on that one, but I unfortunately do not.

Roxbororob likes this.
  15. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    It's weird - mine crackled at first, but doesn't anymore.

Sushi Box FX and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  16. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Well that makes me even more confused, but good to know.

moon-bass likes this.
  17. MrBass617

MrBass617

Mar 13, 2013
    ATL
    20210609_170456.jpg
    I like these pedals! SBVT next. Maybe a Deep Dish too.

NKBassman, benjobass, gh0st42 and 7 others like this.
  18. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Statistically speaking the most commonly ordered pedal has been a matte black Slampegg. Just thought everyone should know.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Mine is raw. Does that make me a sociopath? Or is it all the other stuff and the pedal is just incidental?

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  20. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    To answer your question - As the song says - "It's just another brick in the wall ! " .... Kelly

Killing Floor likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021