Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The System Has Failed

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SlavaF, Sep 14, 2004.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Anyone else get it today?

From first listen, I'm pretty impressed with the comeback Dave Mustaine and Megadeth have made! The World Needs A Hero was IMO a miserable failure to return to their roots, but TSHF is a triumphant return to form. I'll have song by song analyses as soon as I can listen to them a few more times.

So far, my favorites are "Blackmail The Universe", "Die Dead Enough", "Kick The Chair", "Back In The Day", "Something That I'm Not", "Of Mice And Men", and "Shadow Of Deth".

This CD is very heavy, tight and precise, although there are usually sections within the songs that I don't like. Overall, a pretty good album!

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I haven't gotten it yet, but I plan to eventually. And although The World Needs a Hero pales in comparison to their early work, I actually liked the album.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I listened to some of it, and I really did not like it. Holding it up to bands like Lamb of God or even earlier 'Deth like Rust in Peace, it really falls down, at least to me.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Ah yeah i forgot this came out, i will have to pick it up.

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

The first time I listened to it, I thought so too. But as usual, repeated listens changed my mind. Now I really enjoy 9 of the 12 songs. What songs did you listen to? Because if it was the first song (Blackmail The Universe), IMO that song could have been taken straight out of RIP.

I've got a review up on my site.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll give it another try.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Wow, after listening to this a bunch of times, I'm really liking this album! Especially Blackmail The Universe and Kick The Chair. :bassist:

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Can somebody tell why is Vinnie Colaiuta playing in Megadeth ?
    The guy is one of the top session drummers in the world !!

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Because Megadeth is Dave Mustaine. Megadeth used to be a real band (ie input from all sides, a constant bass player and somewhat consistent other musicians) but now Dave just hires good players to come in to the studio and play, and gets different musicians to play live with. Vinnie Colaiuta, and for that matter Jimmie Lee Sloas and Chris Poland, aren't actually going to play these songs live. I heard that Nick Menza is back on the drums! :hyper:

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Anyone else get this CD?

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Why's that?

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto.

13. another odd thing Mustaine's said in a recent interview is that he intended this album to be a solo one, but was contractually obligated to make another Megadeth album.
    also he challenged Nick Menza and David Ellefson to better the original recorded drums and bass tracks laid down by Vinnie Colaiuta and Jimmy Lee Sloas.

I'm beginning to suspect he's giving a different story to each magazine that interviews him :rolleyes:

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Wow, really? That's pretty low... but honestly, if the music is good, I'll listen to it. IMO, TSHF is much better than their last few albums (TWNAH and Risk especially) but still doesn't top RIP or PS...BWB.

But IMO the only thing TSHF has to do with Megadeth is the name. Dave wrote everything on the CD, and plays a lot of the solos too (not to mention Sloas following the guitar lines and Colaiuta being nowhere as busy on the drums as former 'Deth drummers - that's not to say he's not a great drummer, but it's pretty clear that Dave wanted the focus to be on him).

And the whole thing with Ellefson... I hear Ellefson sued Mustaine for $18.5 Million when Mustaine wouldn't hand over the Megadeth name after he supposedly quit. I always thought that the Mustaine-Ellefson-Menza-Friedman line-up was right up there with the classic Dickinson-Harris-McBrain-Murray-Smith lineup. It's a shame that we'll never see those 4 guys together ever again.

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve been to a Friedman clinic some months ago, and believe me that he`s never more distant from Megadeth than now.

16. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Listened to it twice now, mixed feelings on it, I like tracks 1, 2 and 4 so far.

It's definately better then their late 90's stuff. Though at least back in the megadeth sound. I'll have to let it spin some more.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I did a metal show at the campus radio station with a friend, the one track we played was pretty good. But Mustaine is going back to his roots: Of being a giant @hole. Bah. I still want to get at least Rust in Peace remastered, and probably peace sells and so far so good so what... and probably countdown, but other than that, I'm done with Mustaine.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    On a side note: I got MD45 in the discount bin, and... is it a joke? It's so bad, that it sounds like a joke to me. The dude from Fear sings... and he is one of the worst singers I've ever heard... and there is one songs where he's just singing the names of different cities. I swear Mustaine just made that album to say "Hey, I'm not THAT bad of a singer."

19. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

James MacDonough (Iced Earth) is a friend of mine,and is the new touring bassist in Megadeth.I'm glad because Iced Earth's music never did let him cut loose and show his monster chops.He's ganna make the band even better.