1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The TB NBA Playoff thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Apr 16, 2009.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well, someone had to start one. A few quick thoughts.

Doc Rivers announced today that KG will probably be out the entire playoff's. In between this and the very inconsistent play of the Beantown Bench I believe we will have a new champ this year.

Without Ben Wallace I can't call Cleveland a clear number one. He's not the Ben Wallace of old but he still brings a toughness to the Cavs that they lacked.

LA would have been my consensus pick but I'm not sure Bynum will have much impact with as little range time as he's had.

Orlando is thanking god they aren't playing Detroit, but I look for Orlando to get upset. They still live and die by the three point shot and don't have legitimate NBA 4.

Denver's lack of inside strength will be exposed in the playoffs and they may not get out of the first round. Also Billups has a real tough time covering quick PG's, Paul will make a living in the paint against Denver. One and done.

My Picks:

East Finals: Hawks v. Cavs

West Finals : Hornets v. Lakers

NBA Finals: Lakers v. Cavs

NBA Champ: Lakers, playoff experience pays off in 7

Darkhorse East: Sixers

Darkhorse West: Rockets

My Pistons would have made it to the conference finals again had they had anyone but the Cavs in the first round. Boston without Garnett is one and done. I wish (as a fan) that the Pistons were lottery bound instead of one and done playoff bound.:rollno:

2. In other bad news for the Celtics, apparently Danny Ainge had a heart attack. :(

Here are my quick, highly uneducated picks (Winners bolded):

Round One:
    Jazz vs Lakers
    Hornets vs Nuggets
    Mavs vs Spurs
    Rockets vs Blazers

Pistons vs Cavs
    Bulls vs Celtics
    Sixers vs Magic
    Heat vs Hawks

Round Two:
    Lakers vs Rockets
    Mavs vs Nuggets

Cavs vs Hawks
    Magic vs Celtics

Conference Finals:
    Lakers vs Nuggets
    Cavs vs Magic

NBA Finals:
    Lakers vs Cavs

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Raptors WHY?!?!?!?

they picked the right time of the year to start winning...

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Two thumbs down Utah Jazz- You suck.

It will be a 4-game blowout against the Lakers.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I haven't really been following bball this year, but I saw that blowout by the Cavs a week ago, & then I saw this headline about KG this morning, and I basically came to the same conclusion. Too bad, 'cuz the Celts are my favorite team in theory if not in practice. (I finally learned to enjoy watching NBA games in 1983, when I lived in Boston... 'nuff said.)

6. Agree, but :(

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    They deserve it this year.

Thank goodness it's probably the last year for Carlos Loozer.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you guys are lucky we're not playing our best.... :spit:

the Spurs have specially designed snuggies, too :spit:

to eric, just because: :spit:

9. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    my picks almost exactly, but i think portland might take houston, they finished the season on a peak. either way, i'm glued to the tv for the next 6 weeks. go lakers!

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I still don't think Denver is getting out of the first round. They are a better team on paper, but the Hornets win the matchups. Chandler takes Nene, West pawns Martin, Paul is just the kind of guard Billups can't stop from penetrating, and Posey can slow down Anthony. I think NO shows in the West finals. They had a tough season, but they seem to have a chip on their shoulder after the Chandler trade.

Mavs-Spurs may be the most even series in the playoffs. Spurs minus Ginobli are not a factor for the finals, but the Mavs still have Noshowupski, and will have a tough time with Parker. I think the series comes down to the role players, Mason and Bonner for the Spurs, If they have a good series the Spurs live to face another round.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I agree with almost all of your picks, only I think Cleveland will take LA in the Finals. TBH, I'm think Boston will struggle to get through Chicago without Garnett though they will probably get the job done. I definitely think it will be Orlando vs. Cleveland for the Eastern Conference finals, but I don't see anyone getting in Lebron's way this year. I'm not familiar with the Western Conference as much, but I think anyone who isn't picking the Lakers to win the West is crazy.

I'm going to game 1 in Orlando on Sunday. Should be a good time!

12. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Bummer for KG and Boston.
    I haven't paid enough attention this season so I won't speculate. Everything I've seen from Cleveland has been impressive. The Hawks impressed the heck out of me last playoffs when they took Boston to game 7. I really like the Hornets and Chris Paul though they could use big man help. Is Chandler healthy?
    I keep waiting for more from Denver. So far, the whole doesn't seem to live up to the sum of the parts. LA? Geez. As much as I don't like to admit it, Phil Jackson knows how to run a team.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sixers... darkhorse indeed...

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Lakers. That is all.

15. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    WIN. :bassist:

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The Lakers are the obvious choice overall. That said, I can't stand the Lakers - they're like the undefeated Patriots of a few years ago. Too talented, too deep, too easy. They cruise a lot and then decide to "turn it on" when they get challenged. I've always hated that in any team in any sport.

The teams I'm enjoying watching in the playoffs this year:

Houston, Cleveland, Boston, Chicago.

BOSTON - I love Doc Rivers, Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, and Pierce. Rondo is emerging as one of the premier point guards in the league, and I thought he was a spoiled punk while he was in college... looks like I was wrong. The emergence of Big Baby Davis is fun to watch. They had little chance without KG, and virtually no chance without KG and Powe. Once they get to the Mikki Moore/Scalabrine section of the bench, they're terrible. I can't stand Marbury, but he's learning to play his role. I think they'll beat the Bulls, but am not sure how far they'll get past that. They used to be a defensive team with some decent scorers. Now their defense isn't the main aspect, and it will catch up with them.

CHICAGO - I don't know much about them, but the first two games of the Boston series were a prime example of "stand up and be counted" basketball. Derrick Rose is phenomenal, and will be fun to watch for years. They're showing terrific heart so far, and I gotta like that.

Cleveland - Playing fantastic defense, playing as a team, and they have the MVP to go to during the tough times. Some of LBJ's bouce passes in the lane are unreal. They seem to really get the idea of every player understanding his role in the scheme.

HOUSTON - I like them a lot better without T Mac, even though I don't think they have the guard play to make it all the way. Yao is Yao, and must always be the focal point of the opposing defense. When he is, they've got a great committee around him. Great defensive team. And Scola is fast becoming one of my favorite players in the league - like a good bass player, he just does what he needs to do to make the team better. He's a mensch. I'd love to see Artest guarding Kobe...that could be big fun.

I'm enjoying the series' involving these teams, and I hope I get to watch most of them in the next round.

Last, Detroit is finished. Trading Billups for Me-first-son was the worst trade I've seen since the syndicate arranged the trade that sent Gasol to the Lakers. :rolleyes:

17. At least Utah decided to show up the other night. If they can eek out at least one more win, it takes away some resting time from the damn Lakers!

18. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    my biggest gripe of the NBA playoffs so far: jeff van gundy. that guy can't go 2 minutes without arguing with somebody, and he'll go on and on just to make his point. meanwhile, there's a basketball game going on and he's giving a tirade about baseball or tacos.

oh well here's hoping the lake show gets it together tonight...

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I willing to take some more beer. If you think your team can beat the Lakers in the playoffs. Last year I got all the Texas guys to send me beer (and chorizo) when the Lakers played against San Antonio.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    shutty

:spit: