The Tortilla thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I was cooking & eating tortillas & cheese(quesadillas)with those uncooked, bake 'em yourself torts earlier, & thought back to when my wife of near 20 years worked at a Mexican restaraunt. She used to bring me & my friends pitchers of beer & piles of good Mexi-food- all free! The absolute best(even better than the free beer)were the fresh-cooked, thick-as-a-pancake tortillas. Soooo good.
    Tortillas, anyone?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I actually enjoy the gourmet ones. Well, flavored. Garlic Pesto is good, as is tomato and basil. I've also had some jalapeno ones that were pretty decetn, but the garlic pesto is probably my favorite.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the reason i have never been really thin is because of my love for's in my blood! :D

San Antonio is the tortilla king
  4. How 'bout those big blanket-size ones they use to make the monster burros? Parachute-size?!? I'm hungry again...
  5. I honestly just ate tortilla chips
  6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Freebirds in College Station right across from Texas A&M. The best monster burritos! :hyper:
  7. I'm going down to San Diego tomorrow and cannot wait. I used to live there and eat basically nothing but tortilla-oriented food. It is amazing how if you travel more than like 20 miles from the Mexican border, all ability to make Mexican food disappears. I've been living up in Northern California for about a year and a half, and the stuff that passes up here basically makes me cry in frustration.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, man! When I start at A&M that was the ONLY Freebird's. Now they have them in Austin and Houston and who knows where else..

brad cook
  9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    There's actually on over at Greenville and Lovers Lane in Dallas, but I've never made it over there.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I was never really a fan of Mexican/TexMex food until I spent the summers of '00 and '01 in Texas. Now, I can barely stomach the mung that passes for Mexican food here in PA. Even in the grocery store, it is hard to find good flour tortilla. I've never had a taste for corn tortillas, though.
  11. I actually use tortillas when I make mushu pork. Awesome Chinese recipe.
  12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    c-ba55 wrote
    Hey c-ba55, are there any Mexican restuarants that you can recomend in San Diego?
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Har har.

I practicly live on quesadillas.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're hard-pressed to live in any town in Texas that doesn't have at least one good tex-mex joint. There are plenty of authentic mexican places around here too...mostly Jalisco style.

brad cook
  15. It's the taco stands where the great stuff is. Roberto's is the classic, and it's pretty good. Roberto invented the format. There are now lots of Roberto's and many many many more *berto's. That is, imitators have opened shops named Alberto's Adalberto's, Anaberto's, Humberto's, ......on and on. Cotija's (also involving various phonetically equivalent imitators) is alright. They have a deep menu, and their pollo asado is tops.

My #1 all time favorite is this place right over the bridge from Pacific Beach into Ocean Beach. The sign just says "Mexican Food. 24 Hours." The official name of the place is Taco Riendo (Laughing Taco). That is heaven, and I will be there in about 30 hours. They make the greatest carnitas ever. Kind of depends on who's working the grill though.

La Posta in Hillcrest is very popular, but that is mostly scenester hype.

For a more pleasant formal experience, all the restaurants in Old Town are good. But if you're in the mood for a good pound of meat in a tortilla, these taco shops are the place to go. Word to the rest of the country on what goes into a burrito.

One pound of meat, juicy and flavorful
    some onions, cilantro, and guacamole
    hot sauce.
    jumbo flour tortilla

THAT'S IT.

For tacos, modify to 1/2 pound meat and corn tortilla. Fold less.

Beans, rice? Never heard of them. Sour cream, cheese? No and no. Breakfast burritos get an exemption.

For fish/shrimp tacos, Rubio's (a chain, but the original) is actually hard to beat. A lot of other places fish tacos are just not fried right, and end up tasting fairly odd.

Some other restaurants are in between on skeeviness and make good seafood. By which I mostly mean soups and "cocktails." Mostly raw chewy seafood "cooked" in vinegar, and kind of sweet and chewy. Vinegar breaks down the proteins similar to heat. Octopus, oyster, squid, that sort of stuff. One I always used to go to for that was on Garnet and like Kendall in PB, but I can't remember the name.

Maybe you noticed I think all the best restaurants are in one area of town, where I used to live. This is because the entire city is blanketed with Mexican food of unbelievable quality, not because where I lived was particularly abundant.

And everywhere else I've been, (and I've been around) the Mexican food is terrible. You go to a Mexican restaurant, there are Mexicans working there, speaking Spanish like they just arrived, and the food sucks. I've never been to Texas. The food is probably good there. New Mexico was not too bad. Everything else was bad, bad, bad. And even travelling around Mexico, I didn't care that much for the regional cuisines outside Baja.

Maybe it's just me.
  16. that´s for sure! there are tons of different dishes based on tortilla.. and their spice and taste vary from one region to other.. not to mention their quality..

Las enchiladas de la madre de luis novelo son mucho delicioso. :)
  17. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
  18. Enchiladas are also great. Especially homemade. Another thing they have in Baja is tacos sincronizada, which is basically a quesadilla with corn tortillas.

There was this Mexican buffet, believe it or not, in Pt. Loma, that was outstanding. This little family place, also served pizza (???)
    But they would always have out of this world stuff like swordfish veracruz, great albondigas, this carrot & zucchini dish I could eat all day, chicken mole, some kind of bbq braised ribs, etc....
  19. 360 Degree Burritos in Concord are awesome, huge & give me HEINOUS gas no matter what I get there. I'm not claiming them as authentic Mexican, mind you, but if you want to make your wife/roommate/sig. other HATE you, they're the ticket.
  20. Mmmm... Tortillas! I'm going to get me some authentic Mexican cuisine at Taco Bell on my way to band practice!!