The Traitor

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Ok boys.. lets start the flamewar ! :p :D

After having played the bass for almost 8 years i've decided to switch over to the smaller 6-stringed cousin. Why ? well..the bass just wasn't " cutting the cheese " for me anymore. I started playing less and less lately. Having been a bassplayer myself i think i will have more insight in the overall band sound than most guitarists. I hope this will help my future band be more succesfull.

Starting this weekend, this will be my new axe : An Ibanez ( ofcourse :smug: ) S 520.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You'll be back. Don't sell your bass gear. :D

3. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Well, being someone who plays both, let me be the first to say "More power to ya!!"

Don't consider yourself a traitor--it's demeaning to those of us who lead double lives!!!! :D
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Why not play both, numb-nuts?
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

:D :D
  6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You have to forgive Mike, he is grumpy after having useless
    flesh removed from his intestines and being diagnosed with some disease that comes from kissing teenage girls or something.

You have to follow the path wherever the music takes
    you. Or you die.
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, but what can you really do with those tiny little wires on it?
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    play guitar all you want, just give your bass gear to me ;)... either way, good luck
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Guitars are O.K. It's guitar players that can be troublesome.
  10. I am thinking about getting a guitar and probably will get one the next time I go to a music store.

And Mike I anin't no numb-nuts, I will play both. And are you a pirate now?
  11. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Actually I play guitar too...a nice acoustic I use at home for enjoyment, relaxation and for writing.

And yeah, it's not the dark's just the evil munchkins who can't also play bass that have made it so evil. :)

Speaking of which...I find it amazing that guitar players think they can play bass, but have no clue what bass really is...they still play it like it's just single notes on a guitar. Yet, bass players can (generally speaking) actually play guitar and understand it's place in the overall sound of the music.
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Guitars are, contrary to popular belief, music-related tools - therefore off too miscellaneous.
  13. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I never fell into the trap of trying to compare one with the other. It's all about frame of mind and knowing what your function is.

" In this band, I'm the bass player and I must think and act like the bass player. "

" I'm a guitar player in this situation and I must do what is expected of a guitar player."

Funny thing I've noticed about bass playing guitarists ( as opposed to guitar playing bassists ) , they always want to treat a bass like an over-grown guitar. For some reason, they find it impossible NOT to try and play chords! ;)
  14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003

TB Quote of the day

j00 r s0 1337!!!
  15. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    An instrument is just a tool for your musicality. Which it is doesn't matter the least. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not to be taken seriously.

You're not a traitor. If you feel you can express yourself better on the guitar, or it's just more fun, you made the right choice.

But you might regret selling your bass gear, if you considered doing that. I mean, with your history in bass trading... who's to say you won't be coming back? :D
  16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, this isn't HCBF.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I secretly own a guitar as well...also an Ibanez. It's a bit in disrepair, due to the fact I was given it for free, so I need to drop about $30 into it to make it playable (strings, clean the electronics, re-solder output jack, new saddle for high E string), and I swear, sometime soon, I will.

18. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Guitar isn't bad, but I sure wouldn't want to be a guitarist! :D
  19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This is the thing you need to remember. If you remain a guitar playing bassist you will still be cool. If you become a guitarist that used to play bass, then you suck.

It's really a simple equation.

And I should know. I've been walking this fence since the '70's. I tell everybody that I play bass and I play AT everything else. Lately it seems I play my 12-string more than I play my basses. But when I show my ideas for songs to my old guitar player, he laughs at me and says he can tell I still think like a bassist, even on 12-string.
  20. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    yeah thats the only thing. I can always tell if the bass player was a converted guitarist, can it be vise versa? Can you play guitar like bass, too many root notes or something? I played drums for 15 years before bass, it only helped me become a bass player, but i guess it's alot different comparing drums vs bass to guitar vs bass.