1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The TUNE DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Pcocobass, May 29, 2007.

1. Pcocobass

Pcocobass Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Our tune for the week of May 27th is Ask Me Now. Our bonus tune is Bernie's Tune.

If you have any insights or suggestions or questions about these tunes, please post here.

Also, please refer to the TUNE LIST thread each week for your new tune.

Good luck everyone.

Pete

2. ask me now sounds great. two of my favorite takes are by joe henderson trio without a chordal instrument. it is on state of the tenor with ron carter on bass, and al foster on drums. the second is on an evening with joe henderson with charlie haden on bass, and al foster on drums. an evening with joe henderson is hard to get a ahold of, so maybe i'll post that take for people to check out. both amazing tracks and its great to hear how different ron and charlie sound with the same group. any other recommendations for tracks to check out? i guess monk's version should be the first place to look...

3. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice tune... this will be fun.

That sounds tasty.

Joe Henderson must really like this tune because he also plays it as a duet with McCoy Tyner on McCoy's New York Reunion.
    It's also on Paul Motian & the Electric Be-Bop Band's Reincarnation Of A Lovebird which has Steve Swallow on electric.

Pete, you should put a link to this thread in the TUNE LIST Thread.

4. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Done.

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent - I don't 'know' Bernie's tune (I've just played it from charts), and I can't recall ever having played, or maybe even heard 'Ask Me Now.'

I'm on it...:hyper:

Andy

6. Bernies......
    Just an AABA type D minor tune. Bridge is just a couple turn arounds in Bb Major, resolving back to D m. I play the rhythm figure with the lead Db B....Db B.

7. This is a pretty rendition of Ask Me Now. I thought I saw a Monk clip of Ask Me Now on youtube but now I can't find it.

8. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Guys,

A word of caution if you are using Real Book to learn this tune: It's got a few mistakes like most real book tunes.

Here are the correct changes. I transcribed them a while back from the original Monk version (I think) but I can't seem to find the recording now to double check. Anyway, this is more or less the tune. If you don't agree with these changes, please feel free to post any variations.

A
    /Gm7 C7 F#m7 B7 / Fm7 Bb7 Em7 A7 / Ebm7 Ab7 / B7(b5) Bb7/
    /Eb7 D7 / DbMaj7 Eb7(b9,13) / Ebmin7 Ab7 / B7 Bb7 A7 Ab7 /

A
    /Eb7 D7 / DbMaj7 Eb7(b9,13) / Ebmin7 Ab7 / DbMaj7 /

B
    /Ebm7 Ab7 / DbMaj7 Bb7Alt / Ebmin7 Ab7 / DbMaj7 /
    /Bbmin7 Eb7 / Bbmin7 Eb7 / Ebmin7 Ab7 / C#min7 F#7/

A
    /Eb7 D7 / DbMaj7 Eb7(b9,13) / Ebmin7 Ab7 / DbMaj7 /

Also, there are mistakes in the melody line in the real book version. Some accidentals are missing so please listen to a recording of the tune and try to cop the melody that way if you can. Use the real book only as a guide and not like gospel.

Pete

9. Also, it makes more sense to write out the tune in the key of Db to reduce the number of accidentals.

10. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Hey Pete-
    Are we moving on to 2 more tunes this week?

Edit: I just saw the update. Cool.

11. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Hey guys- how's everyone doing so far with the tunes? This is really fun. I learned Bernie's Tune and Ask Me Now, already knew Invitation, and am working on All Or Nothing At All and How My Heart Sings, which I used to know.
    I didn't get to Strode Road; I don't even know what that tune is; never heard it or heard it called. I'll check it out at some point.
    Btw, I'm also learning the melodies. Are you guys doing this too? Ask Me Now is great with the bow in thumb position, if a bit challenging especially the high E.

12. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Here's what I got for "All Or Nothing At All"; I transcribed it from a Betty Carter record where she does it duo with Dave Holland.
    Since this tune has been done in several keys, I'm going to write it out in numbers to make it easier to transpose. The key on the Betty Carter record is Emin/Gmaj.

AABA form:

Emin/same /same / same/
    Emin/ /F7/same /
    Dmin7/same /Amin/same /
    Amin7/D7/Gmaj/F#min7b5 B7/

Emin/same /same / same/
    Emin/ /F7/same /
    Dmin7/same /Amin/same /
    Amin7/D7/Gmaj/Fmin7 Bb7/

Eb/same/same/Fmin7 Bb7/
    Eb/same/same/Bb7/
    Fmin7/Bb7/Fmin7/dmin7b5 G7/
    Cmin/A7/Ab7/B7/

Emin/same /same / same/
    Emin/ /F7/same /
    Dmin7/same /Amin/same /
    Amin7/D7/Gmaj/F#min7b5 B7/

What tunes do we have for this week?

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Oh yeah, for sure. I don't think you really know a tune without knowing the melody and if there are any the lyrics too. Lately I'm learning the melody in a couple of keys (the common one and then one I'm comfortable singing it in) before I even look seriously at the harmony and it's taking a lot of the frustration out of learning tunes.

14. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Make sure you know this in Am. That's the usual jam session key.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Didn't notice this until now! I'm doing a little gig with some friends as a sort of Gerry Mulligan/Chet Baker piano-less quartet - Bari,Trumpet, Me on DB and drums!

This is one we're doing - I like these up-tempo tunes for this quartet - much harder playing ballads with no piano and just me! :p

The ones that gets me is "Song for Strayhorn" - so there is so much pedal D on bass that there is inevitably a point in solos where there is some 'uncertainty' ....:p

But anyway - who was "Bernie"...?

16. This is NOT an 'up tune'. Medium bounce. I think Bernie was a disc jock.

17. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006

Right, like the Coltrane version.

I already know this week's tunes, so I'll be working on some others.:hyper:

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - yes I've got it as swing 160 - I just meant it wasn't a ballad - it seems tough doing a ballad in a quartet with no piano, whereas this kind of tune at 140-160, works pretty well! :p

19. It helps to incorporate some double stops ala Red Mitchell on some slower stuf, ya know?

20. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The author of Bernie's Tune is Bernie Miller.

I generally like that tune between 180-200bpm with a little fire in it but it can swing like crazy at about 160bpm.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021