1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Weekend Warrior Band Guide to Unrealistic Expectations

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Apr 27, 2018.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    For those of you who fit the "weekend warrior" mold, lets hear about the unrealistic expectations put upon you by your band. I'll start:

tl;dr: learn 28 songs in 10 days for a new cover band. Day of gig, BL tells me I can't use charts on stage.

Three weeks ago, I was asked to audition for a local cover band. They are pretty strong musically, and have some decent gigs lined up, so I gave it a try. The audition went well. I knew about 10 of their songs and played them flawlessly. I got along well with the other members, and they told me as I left that they'd be in touch in a few days.

In a few days, they contacted me to ask me to audition again, because it was down to me and another guy. That's cool...I've never been asked to a call-back for a weekend warrior cover band, but whatever. I charted an additional 5 songs in less than 24 hours at their request. At that audition, I again nailed all the songs I was requested to play. During the audition, one of the members asked me about my iPad (I chart everything in Word and download to ForScore), so I showed it to him. He asked if I always used charts, and I explained that they were just temporary since I had to learn 5 songs in less than 24 hours. "Cool" he says.... and we move on. At the end of that audition (which was a Sunday), I was told that I was "basically in", but they were still going to audition the other guy on Monday. I would hear back after that.

Monday comes and goes. Tuesday as well. At the end of Wednesday, I'm assuming I didn't get the gig. A first for me in many years, but not a big deal. I text the BL to ask for an update, and he tells me that they still intend to audition the other guy, but he's cancelled on them three times. On Thursday, he texts to tell me I'm their guy. He also wants me to be ready for a rehearsal on Sunday and a 3 hour bar gig the next Friday. That gig will require me to learn an addition 23 songs I don't know, but I agree. I've done it before.

Being a bit of an overachiever, I chart all 23 songs between that Thursday- Sunday, in order to have them ready for the rehearsal. 23 songs..... in three days. Again, the same member asks me about the charts. The conversation gets interrupted before it can finish. All the members are impressed I'm ready with all the songs...in theory.

That was last Sunday. The gig is tonight. This morning at 4:30am, I get a text from the BL. It reads, in total: "Looking forward to tonight. Hope you've memorized those songs, because we don't allow charts or music stands on stage."

At 5:30, I replied: "I'm sorry but you should have told me that on Sunday. I've learned 28 songs in 10 days for this band, and I would need charts for some of them. I really don't like surprises at 4:30. No worries....have a good gig. I'm clearly not the right guy for you."

He's either still asleep, or in shock, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    This -

Is going to be interesting.

3. grinx

grinx Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    wuwu

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    10-1 you get another text saying you can use it for THIS gig, but not to rely on it in the future.

Any takers?

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Subbed

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    8:31....text from BL: “please call me ASAP”.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Heh heh...

Closest thing I have is a few years ago, I joined a "working band" and learned 60 songs in 4 weeks (one small cheat sheet with a few chord changes that I kept on the floor for a few weeks). I wanted to get up to speed as soon as possible so the band could resume their gigs.

A year later, three gigs, and BL told me he didn't want people playing in other bands, as it impacted upon them taking gigs. Thank doG I had my sub gigs on the side.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  8. I got a guitarist who is good but he will throw a couple of songs out right before a gig -he calls it "Tactical set Augmentation"
    Then we drop songs we have been working on for months because "they are not ready" REALLY?!!
    This is about to stop.

Mr_Moo, Old Blastard, Jewce and 10 others like this.
  9. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Closest for me was 36 songs in 2 1/2 weeks. No one had an issue with me using charts on stage.

I needed the charts, I would not have been able to play without them. The next show I brought the charts but didn't need them...

Mr_Moo and Stumbo like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Nah, they'll go with the guy that cancelled on them three times.

11. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Admiral Akbar and mcnach like this.
  12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Aww. ;)

Old Blastard, juancaminos and Stumbo like this.
  13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are you calling him or have you closed the book on this outfit?

14. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Perfect response to BL's tomfoolery.

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I didn’t call him, but the lead singer and drummer have both called apologizing for the “miscommunication”. They claim the BL assumed that I wouldn’t use charts because I told them I didn’t use them in my other established bands. They say charts are fine and they really want me in the group. They blame the text on the BL being overly concerned with “image”.

I’ve told them I’ll let them know if I’m playing in an hour or two. I also told them I’m disappointed that the BLs only response was to demand a call. They’re going to get him to call me.

Maybe I’ll go, and just dad-band it up. Ball cap. Band shirt. Cargo shorts.

16. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    I'd go full on P Funk and show up in a wedding dress or diaper

17. Attention all band leaders: you can ask me not to have charts, or you can procrastinate giving me a setlist till the last minute, but not both.

Kitsapbass, Mr_Moo, Hotblack and 30 others like this.
  18. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You've done all that work. Maybe BL is an absolute #@$%@#%@~. Maybe the other bandmembers are right, and that this is a one time thing. I would play the gig as a pro. Worst thing that can happen is you collect your $$$ and laugh in BL's face.

19. I'd play the gig, and if anyone in the band shanked one single note I'd go bat ish crazy after the gig! It's buttholes like this dude that make people not want to have the hassle of gigging.

I can see not having charts/help after a few gigs, but on the first one? This guy is wound too tight for life.

BnB

Mr_Moo, eJake, fo-string and 10 others like this.
  20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I use charts on all songs... Even the ones I think I know because sometimes my mind goes blank .............. what was I talking about? why am I here? Anyhow, both guitars and drummer are pros and much younger than me, they don't use charts, the lead singer has a large book in front on stage for the lyrics. I gave him my light to clip on his music stand,, I now use a 12" tablet with Setlist Helper and its working out fine... Plus the fact that like all normal bass players, I stand in the back next to the drummer out of sight.) Keep us informed on your gig. I love band drama. ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Mr_Moo, T_Bone_TL, Babydave and 9 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021