Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The worst Band U Played in

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mattmcnewf, Aug 30, 2004.

1. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    disreagarding talent and focusing on there style what was the worst band u played in. For example u had a singer that wanted to be scot stap and a guitarist who put solos in every song. But were both really talented

2. I'll bite here...

I was in a band with a singer who was a Type A Dominant Male Personality, and the guitarist was as well. :eek: Our drummer sucked, but was one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to hang with. Lots of great stories, but that incarnation of the band was doomed to failure, but it was a lot of fun!

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    all the bands ive played in, except one, had really good musicians.

it was right after i quit my first band. my singer friend had been hounding me for years trying to get me to star one with him, so i did. it was a rock band. i told him, find me a good guitar player, and a good drummer, and im down.

so he tells me he found some guys, one of which, the drummer, was his cousin. the guitar player, was the cousins friend.

so im standing outside, blazing with my boy, and he is gassing them up big time, yeah they are "beginers" and im like ugh, beginers. ****. so i smoked. went inside, and watched them jam on a few songs that had written.

oh my god.

the drummer, couldnt keep time, defintely shouldnt be playing with others yet.

the guitar player, was maybe playing about a year. starts playing, he was ok, then in the middle of the main riff, he just starts soloing. and wont stop. the song stops, and he keeps going.

i stood up and said,dude, we need to talk. once outside, i broke it down for him, that the drummer wasnt up to par, and the guitar player had a big attitude problem.

oh well. i hope that made someone laugh.

4. The worst band I've played in is the one I'm in now. We suck.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I saw a band almost a year ago where the guitarist soloed in EVERY song -- but the best part was, my friend and I (him being the guitarist for the band I'm in now) could predict within seconds when the solo would start by the fourth song. The song would hit a point and we'd start counting down, and then, right on cue, SOLO!

The best part? One song had two solos, and we got both of them. HUZZAH!

6. ChillWill

ChillWill

Apr 18, 2004
    I would have to say that my worste band expirience ever has to be playinig in the chynadoll band.....T give you all a scenario does anybody remember CHYNA "Jonie Lawler" and her hidden Cello talent. From the unorganized rehersals to the terrible singing. Im not sure if theats the kind of exposure that you want even if there is a big name on the headliner!!!

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    OK, I'm really old. In 1973 I got a call from the musician's union (remember those) about a fill-in gig with a country band with some lame name, like "Guys and Gals" or something. I showed up at the bar, they gave me a shirt and a cowboy hat to wear so I matched the rest of them. I'm big, the shirt wasn't! But it was money (which I needed) and it was country (which was, uh, "less challenging" for me). The 2 guys and 2 chicks in the band are like twice my age (I was 19 at the time) anf they are POUNDING Jack Daniels like there is some kind of contest going on to see who can get the drunkest the quickest. Halfway through the second set we do a "rock and roll" song for the "younger people in the crowd"...Proud Mary. I swear I'm playing the standard, go nowhere, do nothing Stu Cook bass line. Halfway through the song the lead singer stops the band and FIRES me on the spot for playing it "too jazzy". I have to take off the stupid shirt and leave the stage! They play the rest of the gig without a bass...which I guess you could do in the standard 1973 country band. The union rep ended up paying me anyway. He said "Yeah, they seem to have problems with everyone I send them." Let's see, they would all be like 69 or 70 years old now...hehehe!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I sat in on percussions with a funk band in Denver. The musos were older and damn good (the bassist wore a turban, don't ask! It was a fashion statement), but the lead singer was a classic! During some practices, he'd go out and polish his Fiero (remember those?). He wore makeup :scowl: , tight britches (sometimes glittered spandex bottoms! :eyebrow: ), and custom glitter boots. He also had the most majestic jheri curl I'd ever seen! He was a hoot! I stayed around just to see what he was going to do next, and boy, I wasn't disappointed! He filmed a homemade video for one of his "hits". He got a couple of spins on Pueblo Community College's radio station at like "whatever in the morning", so it qualified his song as a hit. Best part of the video: there's a scene in the video where he's pushing this girl on a swing. He's dressed in full rockstar garb in the park, and the people in background are staring at him, and some are even laughing! He was so enamored with watching himself, that he didn't even notice, so it wasn't edited out. Believe it or not, I got kicked out! Why? Well, him being him, he was always watching that horrible video, and everytime it got to the park scene, I'd go, "Hey, this is my favorite part! Check out the folks in the background!" Well, after about the 4th time, I was fired! :hyper:

9. I've been in a few bad bands. The common theme in them seems to be not realizing what level they are at. If you think you are ready to take the stage at Maddison Square Gardens when you really should be questioning wether or not you should open the garage door, you have a problem.

10. zacsmith

zacsmith

Jul 20, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Joined a backup band for an Elvis impersonator a few months ago — Vegas-style shows. The "Elvis" was excellent, but had no band leadership experience. No one except myself and the guitar player could read music. The drum/percussion section was a family unit (mom, dad, two boys), with dad and one boy as drummers, mom playing tambourine, and the other boy playing congas. Both drummers together didn't add up to one mediocre player — they didn't get along as dad and son, so naturally, they thought they could play together. "Elvis" guy dumped two backup singers who were heavenly (had sung together for about 15 years) for his 16-year-old cousin who screeched the parts.

Ugggh. I got out real fast, especially after the first gig when the paycheck was cut because of poor ticket sales — but not "Elvis'" pay.

Back in a good, ol' classic rock band with some other geezers. Much happier!

zackbass

11. bige2002

bige2002 Guest

Sep 15, 2004
    Milton, West Virginia
    My first band was not only bad, but confusing. Our drummer seemed to alternate between two people, one of which insisted on throwing in a drum solo in every song we played. Even in our slower songs! We just jammed with whoever showed up. One guitarist couldn't play power chords without practicing them for a while, and the other guitarist usually brought his girlfriend and... didn't play with us the whole time. The best part was the singer who had sang bass for our highschool and therefore thought he would make a great rock singer... not so much. Once I swear I understood something he sang, but not much more than that.I'm not going to pretend I was great at the time, but i sure looked good playing next to them! The "band" lasted just over a month and a half, when we realized that we were really bad, and not getting any better. And because our drummers quit.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My worst was filling in with a band a few times recently. They were all amateurs, so I guess I should cut em some slack. And the money was good, so I can't complain too much there. But the band was not. The lead guitar player was notorious for starting to solo in the wrong key. Don't get me wrong, in a few years, this kid will be good. But he isn't ready for it yet. The lead singer/rhythm guitar player was OK, but he was all about himself (needed to be the center of attention, you know the type). And the drummer was a one beat wonder--every song we played, he played the same beat, but with varying tempos, within the song!! Speed up, slow down, speed way up, slow way down, end. Yay.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had a night or two off from my full time band and they were paying me $125 just to come, set up my rig, play, tear down my rig, and go home, I wouldn't have done it. Oh well. (actually, I think that one of the times I played with them, it was a non-paying gig for them, but they needed a bass player, so they paid me out of their own pockets)

13. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Oh man the worst band I played in only had one gig. It was a band for a Christmas party put on by a restaurant for the employees. Made up of people that worked there. My wife worked there so since they had no bassist, I was drafted. It sounded like a fun deal but there was this one guy on guitar that had absolutely no sense of time. Of course he insisted on playing the loudest. We practiced a bunch before the gig but he never got any better. Then the night we played everyone was drunk except me and the drummer. It was embarrassingly bad :bassist: but most people didn't notice anyway. When I watched the video tape of it.......damn....it was horrible. Fortunately it was only for that one gig and I never had to play with that fool again.l

14. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    At the age of 30, I quit a successful rock cover band, feeling I was getting too old for it.

A year later, I decided to start a band that would play at wedding receptions and dances in my hometown's rural area. I liked the early hours and the smaller PA these gigs would afford.

Anyway, my brother, a decent guitarist and singer, agreed to join. I also enlisted a sister who was green, but seemed to have an adequate appreciation for the work that would be involved.

Then it hit. My second sister telephoned to angrily question why she was left out - so I asked her to join. Then her husband claimed to have had a lifelong desire to learn the drums, so I allowed him to join, saying that I would teach him how to play.

We weren't horrible, but not good either. It almost worked, because I worked my rear end off, giving free lessons to all the rest - and many of these were private lessons.

The biggest disappointment was that my brother-in-law put little effort into learning the drums. As most of you know, if the drummer ain't gettin' the job done, the band's not going to sound worth a you-know-what!

I had made the mistake of signing up a person who had no idea of the commitment involved. Arguments ensued and things got a little ugly (fortunately, only a little).

Anyway, I learned my lesson and haven't made the mistake of playing with people like this since.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You too, huh? Sigh! We are in the midst of changing drummers and everyone we have tried just does not know how to just play straight! Why?? Why can't they?? Why can't drummers actually listen to the material and learn it the way it's played and just play it like that? Why? And this is a cat in his 40's! You'd think he have mellowed out by now! We play a lot of disco and disco like beats/songs and all we need is that 4 on the floor kick/open hi-hat on the 2 and 4 drum machine like groove! Is that so hard to play? I mean really? Is it? Gah!! Sorry, I'm venting!