theroy vs technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by haythamehab, Feb 7, 2005.

1. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    which is better or let me repharse that ....At the early stages of your playing which is better ??
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    i was just wondering

so which is more important ?? i mean at your early stages like me :crying:
  4. I agree with Pacman.

I happen to lean in favor of theory over technique, but that is only because I know both at a comfortable level.

Again, though, I still agree with Pacman.
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Hmmm. That is a tough one. I, too, would say both are equally important.

However, in the very early stages, I would say technique (i.e. fingerstyle basics, hand positioning, etc.) is more important. You can have all the theory you want down pat, but if you use sloppy technique, you won't be able to play your ideas in an efficient manner.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's a false choice. It's the wrong question. They're not opposed, they're complementary. Learn both. Learn everything you can.
  7. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    i mean for now....i can't really concentrate on two things maybe you can but i can't :( well i know the basic techinques to start ...i'm trying to concentrate on one now more than the other if any one can give me some advice please do...i know it's a tough one :)
  8. Learn your theory then when youré watching TV practice your techniques
    It's better to do both cause each compliments one another
  9. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Actually, studies show that if you learn something while listening to music or watching TV, your brain will store that info which will actually be harder to access by your brain unless it is stimulated by whatever you were listening to.
    (wow, a one sentence post, but that's gotta the longest sentence ever)
  10. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I could've sworn this "advise" has been totally debunked by now.

When you practice - BE PRACTICING. If you're watching TV and MINDLESSLY run patterns without listening and focusing on what you're doing that's exactly how your playing will sound.

That will then take even MORE focused practice in the future to UNLEARN all the dreck you burned into muscle memory thinking you were practicing while watching TV.

Theory and technique are equally vital. Sacrifice neither for the other. Break each practice session into parts. FOCUSED UNDISTRACTED practice on technique for 1/3 of your session. FOCUSED UNDISTRACTED practice on theory for 1/3 of your session. And improvising and creation 1/3 of your session.

Balance grasshopper. There is no "either or". Always "both AND".

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    If you're having to choose, you're doing it wrong. Learn songs and try to figure out why they're played the way they are.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It's not a tough one - learn to play something, and learn why it sounds like it does. Learn why it's played the way it's played. That's theory.
  13. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    You can be a monster bassist without know anything about theory..
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Kinda dubious. Very often the people that supposedly don't know anything about theory actually have a good practical grasp of certain theoretical concepts, they just can't express them in the usual ways or don't really know what they know. I can't think of any real monsters who are absolutely ignorant of all theory. All theory really is, when you get down to it, is the science of how musics work.

The flip side of your statement is that you can be a monster *bass-playing musician* without being a monster technician. If forced to choose, I'd prefer that. But my argument is that one should refuse to choose and instead try to make as much progress as possible on all fronts.
  15. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Apply theory to technique.

Two birds with one stone, my friend.
  16. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    This is like asking if you should breathe while walking or pause when inhaling. Your goal is to learn to be a musician, which covers many areas, rythym is one aspect you have not mentioned. If you play the right note, with the proper hand position at the wrong time it is still WRONG.

Take lessons.
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Yeah, sure you can. And anti-intellectualism is cool..
  18. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    it takes 10,000 hours to learn how to play well.
    it takes an extra 10,000 hours to learn how play an unfixed pitch instrument well.
    repertoire -add another 10,000 hours
    theory -another 10,000

somewhere in there you'll find some bad habits regarding your technique , unless you get a qualified teacher [hopefully for your sake a bassist]

then again maybe im a slow learner ;)
  19. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    my biggest problem is that i'm willing to practice 24/7 but dunno whta to practice ...i'm really confused ...Have you been confused on ur early stages??
  20. Get a teacher to get both down well for you. It'll also give you ideas on what and how to improve both aspects.