1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Things to do before gig...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Admiral Axtell, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hey I am doing my first "gig" tonight, it's a open house blues jam (I guess its a gig?) and it's the first time I will be playing in front of anyone, I know its only like 20 people but I am super nervous, any last minute things that will get me ready for the performance? any help would be appreciated, I am very very nervous.

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Your age isn't in your profile, but if you're old enough for me to suggest it, a beer or two does wonders for your nerves. You probably don't want more than that though. ;)

3. Nomad5

Nomad5 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Sex.....oh wait, that's after......;)

4. 15 so no beers for me haha no sex before or after :( any other?

5. I was going to mention a certain herb, but you are too young for that. Just try to relax, and play to the bet of your ability.

Oh, don't forget to tune!

6. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    In that case, maybe a glass of milk and a kiss on the cheek from your sweetie.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I pray.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Check your gear over before the gig, change any batteries (if you have a active bass or pedals). Trim your finger nails. Warm up,run some scales before you play. Relax and enjoy. Break a leg !

9. Relax. People are there to have a good time, you should too! Save the booze for the second set, after you've got your groove going. Do some scales, review the set list, tune up, dial in your sound and have fun. Watch the tempos (since your heart is already racing) and lay it down. This is why we play, bro!

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Poop.

11. Alright thanks for much for the advice everyone! I hope that I calm down a bit when I start playing though because I'm pretty shaky and its still an hour and a half away....

12. ^ What godofthunder59 and van_gogh_bass said. Being prepared goes a long way towards handling nerves. And remember, we all had a first gig, including all the big names. So get out there and do your best. And don't worry about the occasional clam! We all make mistakes. Good luck!

13. One more thing. Come back and let us know how it went!

14. It'll be fine...

Don't forget the tuner & take your own lead. Be tuned up & ready to roll within a short space of getting there. Don't go mad - just hold it down, sit in the pocket & nail it to the floor.

If you haven't seen it, skim over this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626425

& if you have time: http://www.coachandhorsesbluesjam.com/essential_fyi.shtml

Have fun & we expect a post-match report.

Pete.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'm sure you'll be fine. Have fun.

16. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Fixed it for ya;) hahaha

17. wheeeww. So it has been done! I would have to say that is some of the most fun I have ever had EVER. I was really freakin out and shaking like I said even when I got on stage but as soon as I played that first note I just relaxed and I was the music like It was such a rush and I nailed it! that was some of the best playing I have ever done! I mean it was mostly swing-bass pretty easy but it is so much more fun when you are playing with a band and on a stage I just got into it and loved every second! I am definitely going to be doing that again, any chance to play on stage, I will take it! Thank you all so much for the support and wanting to hear how it went, made my day! :bassist: :D

18. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Sounds good! It only gets better.

19. Woot! Addictive innit?

Watch out for the third or fourth one though.

My first Jam/open mic was a nerve-wracker, but went OK.

The second was a blinder, had a whale of a time.

The third? I don't want to talk about it, but here's a picture of how it went:

Garedunord.

Just Life teaching me a lesson I guess. That was a while ago now & trainwrecks are thankfully a) very rare & b) the guitarist/frontman's fault.

Pete.