1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about Doing an online Bass Music Course

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by genmed42, May 15, 2018.

1. genmed42

genmed42

Dec 31, 2011
    Hi I’ve been playing bass for a lot of years as a hobby primarily off and on, but feel like I’ve plateaued to some degree, I have a decent ear for picking up a song but I’d like to get a better knowledge of the bass and the complete fretboard including scales,chords, just better fretboard technique,speed etc, I’ve been looking at doing Scott’s Bass Lessons online was kinda interested in his course from his videos on YouTube, does anyone have a experience with his online website and course? Or does anyone have any other suggestions, I’m just looking at taking my bass playing to another level, Thanks very Much for any suggestions.

2. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I did SBL’s for 1 year. I thought it was worth the money. I think there’s a 14 day trial.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Fretboard?

Me thinks somebody got lost.

;)

If you want a good bass guitar book, I hear good things about Ariane Cap's book. I have been working with Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book for my theory stuff but it is more aimed at pianists. It is a big tome but it really does go from zero to hero.

4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Congrats on making the decision to further yourself as a musician and artist. Always glad to have bass guitarists post here; this is the only theory-specific forum on either side. The fretboard vs fingerboard thing is kind of a meme over here.

You don’t need a crazy comprehensive theory program right now if you’re new to it, but you need to study the basics. I’ve been using an app called Musicopoulos for years. It’s cheap and it quizzes you on everything you have formentioned. I would take private lessons with a teacher who understands theory and bassline construction. Your teacher will help you connect these tones, notes, and scales to your fretboard! If you have a local pro who had a strong background in this, and whose playing speaks to you, would be a great option if possible; the mentoring I’ve received from my private teachers about music and life is one of my great advantages I’ve recieved. If you want to do that online, why not John Pattucci’s online school? I’ve worked off of some of the free instructional materials provided on his websites and found them very well thought out.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  5. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    John Patitucci has an online course at artistworks.com

You get his acoustic and electric lesson courses for the same price and they are excellent.

6. genmed42

genmed42

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions, gonna look into everything mentioned so far.

7. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    +1 for Scott’s Bass Lessons - assuming you’re playing electric bass.
    I did SBL for about a year and got a lot out of it before transitioning to upright. The core courses are well thought out.

8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I have a good grasp on theory and took lessons many years ago (and music school lol). Now I’m taking...........guitar lessons! Ack! Ugh!
    It is nice to have a real teacher to motivate and inspire you.

9. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    Talking about online courses I strongly suggest to take a look at real bass lessons:

He is Jim Stinnet, a former Berkeley professor, and to me he is just amazing.
    Way less frills than Scott bass lessons, straight to the music.

Sub41, Whippet and DrayMiles like this.
  10. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Why this rather than in-person lessons with a teacher? Cost? Convenience? Just curious.

Thanks.

-S-

wathaet likes this.
  11. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I recommend this over the previously mentioned methodologies. This seems to have the mantra of substance over style. Although, a teacher, in one on one lessons is always preferable.

Luigir likes this.
  12. Bebopalamabama

Bebopalamabama

May 12, 2018
    In the last year I've found that the following things have advanced me a lot in the respects mentioned

StudyBass - Free Online Bass Lessons on chord structure and harmony, I've only done the free lessons, which are valuable and fairly extensive
    Yousician for sight reading practice specifically getting an intuitive feel for how rhythmic patterns look on the stave
    The Fret tester app on iOS iPhone and iPad for speeding up knowledge of the fingerboard and positions and sight reading just the notes
    Learning several Bach preludes and transcriptions from "JS Bach for Bass" by Josquin de Pres (Mel Bay) and JS Bach for electric bass by Bob Galloway (Hal Leonard)

13. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    DoubleMIDI likes this.
  14. Bebopalamabama

Bebopalamabama

May 12, 2018
    I made a wild guess that it’s some kind of bassy aka

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I did a year with Scott's bass lessons.
    Really liked the way Scott explains things.
    Totaly worth it IMHO.

16. genmed42

genmed42

Dec 31, 2011
    I actually have done the teacher thing in person many years ago when in my 20’s I’m 48 now, it’s still an option that I may consider , I work late and a lot of hours so I think convenience might be the only thing keeping from this even though the benefits might out weigh some of the online courses.

17. genmed42

genmed42

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks again to all of you that gave me your suggestions, it’s really appreciated

HateyMcAmp likes this.