Thinking about gettin a fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm thinking about gettin a Fender Jazz. But I dont know which one. I've been looking at the Geddy Lee Sig. Bass. Cause I love the slim neck and I'm a HUGE Rush fan. So, any recomendations?
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Searching for "jazz bass" or even "best jazz", "which jazz", etc. would yield...nothing useful. Jazz basses have been discussed to death here, and you'd get 80 billion threads, probably none of which addressing the need at hand.

If you really love the Geddy, get it. I'd buy it (and a pickup upgrade) long before I picked up an American standard. Other jazz basses worth looking into are the deluxe FMT, 75 Reissue, Valenti Jazz basses, Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Hotwire, etc.
  3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Yeah what he said. You wanna know what would absolutely kill? The Geddy with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's and a black pickguard. Thank you everyone, thank you.
  4. '75 RI with Custom Shop '60's PUs. It'll smoke them all.

Thank you, try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitress.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Well I searched for Geddy Lee, it seems a lot of people think the Geddy is the best jazz. And it is a great instrument. But lots of people like the '75ri better too :p
  6. yeah, seems the Geddy is a winner.
    I'm ganna get that and up the pups
    ... Up the pups

hehe that sounds funny
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I know we're talking Jazz basses here, but I scored an UNBELIEVABLE deal @ GC :eek: on a Fender Hwy 1 P Bass. These are great pieces! They retail for $529, I got it for $465, new! Plus, they're MIA. She's definately a keeper!
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    If you've got the scratch, then get the 75 RI. The Geddy is GREAT for the price, but when you compare it to the 75, the 75 wins out. It just so happens that the 75 is significantly more expensive.
  9. i like the looks of the geddy lee but i not a big fan of jazz necks, if there was a timmy c jazz, with a precision neck then id surely be interested, but if i got a geddy lee it'd get a p bass neck, or a kubicki key factor neck :smug:
  10. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Is the '75 good value for money too?
  11. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    make sure you play it first. don't buy it online.
  12. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    No doubt. It's amazing. I don't even need an amp when practicing, the notes resonate loudly & oh so sweetly through the body to my chest :crying: . One thing to look for is some years apparently had a 2 piece body, which I believe really detracts from the greatness that this bass is. I scored a '99 which has a solid 1 piece body.
  13. I played both the Geddy and the '75 RI this weekend at GC in Atlanta. I've kinda been into this Fender passive thing lately. Anyway, I absolutely LOVED both of them. I can see why everyone raves about the Geddy. The neck is really a joy to and thin. And at $699, or whatever it was, there's really nothing to keep you from buying one......but I didn't. I bought the '75 RI instead. And here's why:

I have wanted a black '62 RI for awhile and finally found one at Dave's Guitar should arrive here by Wednesday or Thursday. No pix yet, but here's a link to one just like it: '62 Reissue Jazz

So, with the black '62 on the way, I didn't really want another black Jazz.....especially with a white pg. So I played the '75 RI and loved it just as much, if not better. They had 2 of them, and the one I bought weighed significantly less than the other one and had prettier grain. So.....I got the Geddy-type black-inlayed and bound neck with the natural '75 vintage body. (No photos yet). The best of both worlds. Of course, it cost a lot more, but they knocked about $150 off it because it had a small scratch on the back (barely perceptible). And I didn't buy the case that is "included", since I had extra cases and gig bags at home.
    Anyway, I walked out the door for under $1175......and I've got 30 days to return it if I get buyer's remorse in a week or two. Life is good......unless the wife discovers that I bought 2 more basses. :eek: Shhhhhhhhhhh.

14. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor

The HW1 Jazz bass is amazing too. I got one, and picked it over the Geddy Lee and the American Standard. I would get a Hw1, or a reissue, or spend the money on a 75 if you can.
  15. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    The Hwy1 P bass is a great deal,but it Ain't a Jazz by far
  16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just play it before you buy it. My first (AND ONLY :spit: ) Fender is my current bass. A MIM P-bass. It is poisoning my relationship with music and making me not want to practice. I thought it sounded fine at the store but I was playing through an unfamiliar amp with a very grindy undefined tone. I got it home and was convinced it was just the rounds making it too bright (I'm a flats user). So I got a set of flats. The E was acoustically the weakest sounding E I've ever heard. You know when you pluck an open E on a good bass you can hear the resonance and depth unamplified. Mine just has a heavy twang. So a couple new E's later I've come to the conclusion it's the bass itself. Nothing outwardly wrong with it (loose neck joint etc.).

IT'S JUST A PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

This a hard learned lesson.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you like Fenders try some USA standard Jazz basses. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. Also, if you're looking used keep an eye out for Hamer Cruise basses. :bassist:
  18. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Umm, did you check your nut? Might be a badly cut nut.

19. Might be the overall setup too. Neck setup or bridge outa whack. I don't know, but most of the Fender stuff I've played has been pretty bulletproof.

There are the Taiwan/Mexico versions and of course the imported parts/assembled in USA ones. But even the less premium ones seem pretty decent to me.

I was never a fan of the pickups on my old CBS era P-Bass... I replaced them with an EMG P Bass active kit back when I first heard of EMG making them in the late 70s. They sound SWEET!
  20. I think that pound for pound the geddy is one of the best basses fender is putting out these days. sure the 75' re-issue is better but it also costs almost twice as much.

and once you start getting into that price point you can look into things like lakland, mike lull, mabey even a used sadowsky metro or tokyo.

the lakland skyline Joe Osborn would be something else to look at also.