1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking about putting a Darkstar in the bridge position on my EB-0...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MarshallLaw, Apr 15, 2010.

1. i got this '69 Gibson EB-0 last year for dirt cheap. i've been thinking about modding it a bit since i bought it... the "vintage collectable" aspect of it is pretty much gone. there have been two hack-job tuner replacements, the bridge is not original, and there are definitely drilled/filled holes where at least two other bridges have been, plus a few other drilled/filled holed in other places. so i figure why not have some fun with it?

i love the mudbucker, its fat, smooth, and thumpy. but i'd like to pair it with something with more clarity and punch, but still fat and powerful. i was considering putting a P pickup in the bridge position, but now im thinking a Darkstar. i'd turn the tone knob into a volume for the Darkstar and add a 3-way switch. i think it would be sick, what do you guys think?

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    win.

3. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah, go for it. The collector value on the Gibby is gone anyways. Might as well enjoy it as much as you can.

I've got Dark Star GAS too. I'm thinking about putting one in an SX and calling it my "Lipstick on a Pig" project...

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The only downside is that if you don't like the Darkstar you will be left with a "grand canyon" in your bass. It might be worth a call to Jason Lollar or Lindy Fralin or Aero about customizing a hotter version of an EB0 pickup or even something radical like an EB0 sized pickup with 1/4" poles like Delano uses. Don't get me wrong, Darkstars are very cool but that's an irreversible mod. Just food for thought.

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Do it! It sounds awesome. My mudbucker is a Dimarzio Model One... which sounds a bit different than the old Gibson versions and my dark star (special order single-magnet version) is in the middle position, but the mudbucker/darkstar combo is fantastic! You can hear it here:
    DSC01895.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd try that first if i were to do anything like this.

forever ago i put a dimarzio model one in the bridge of an EBO. sounded like absolute ass.

something in the middle might have at least a snowball's chance of sounding OK.

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    well the OP is talking about a dark star in the bridge position, which is something a lot of people do and love. sounds pretty great!
    also, sort of related, the CF Martin solid body basses from the 70's had a dimarzio pickup (very similar to the model 1) in the middle position, which sounded really cool. a local band's bassist uses one and I love the tone he gets!
    but i certainly can't speak for a model 1 in the bridge position.... i'd imagine you'd need really tight string spacing too to make it work way back there

8. The only thing to be wary of is that Darkstars are very high output, so it might drown out the mudbucker.

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    specifically why I had Fred make me one with a single bar-magnet, instead of two. the two pickups balance really well

10. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Nebula24 likes this.
  11. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    might be a feature, not a bug ;)