1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of getting a 'Scaleable" rig setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, May 12, 2006.

1. I've got a 65 lb. Yorkie combo which is great when I play with a louder band but I find myself most of the time jamming around town in quieter situations (couple people with acoustics, etc.). Plus I live on the third floor of a walk-up, so the journey with my current amp is filled with (mis)adventure and swearing, not to mention mouths-agape when I show up to an acoustic jam carrying the beast (slight overkill, methinks).

So, here's what I was thinking of doing: trade in my xm200t for a much more manageable xm50c (50w, 1x10), which I can use for home practice, band jams and even small shows. THEN, I would use the direct-out on the xm50c and send it to a power amp, driving another cab (maybe a 1x15" or 2x12"...etc.). This is what I mean by scaleable. When I really need the extra power/volume/fuller sound I can lug the extra stuff along.

Any comments on this?? Thanks!

2. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Its funny you should post this...I am in the process of completing the same type of "splitupable" rig ! I am getting the new Behringer bx 1800 112 combo(paper coned) in a couple weeks and I plan to do the line out thing to my Madison, which is feeding my Behringer BB410 600wrms at its rated 4 ohms...on smaller get togethers, i can take just the combo,and when I want to shake the walls and windows,I just line into the head and 410! brilliant!

3. Just a thought, in the case of feeding a plain power amp with your DI, you should make sure the DI is post eq. Many of them are pre-EQ and this might perform unexpectedly with the setup you describe.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    The DI out on the XM50 is post EQ (or, as it says in the manual, 'post tone controls') so you should be good to go.

When I think of a scalable rig, I think of a preamp plus however many powered cabinets you need for the job. What I'd like to see is more powered cabinets from more manufacturers, at more power points and price points. The Bergie IPs are awesome, but cost a couple of arms and a leg. The Tech21 Power Engines are fairly inexpensive, but are only 60 watts so you'd have to bring a half dozen or more to a reasonable size gig. That being said, there's something kind of attractive about the idea of having dual 3 (or more) stacks of 12" cabinets!!

Not really anything to do with your question but....:bag:

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    would the "line out" be o.k?