This 8 String Rocks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Anthony, Aug 15, 2018.

1. David Anthony

David Anthony

Mar 3, 2016
    Just had to see if I'd like playing an 8 string bass. They are of course not common enough to simply find in a local music store. I didn't want to make a buy only to decide that I didn't want to keep it and need to return. I recently however found a used Rogue 8 string that was not expensive. It needed a good set-up and strings which it now has. This Baby now Rocks! I love it! It is not a bass for everyday and not for every tune, but for it's purpose (which is to Rock) it is a Gas!

Attached Files:

MonetBass, Baa, Jim Carr and 8 others like this.
  2. Glad you like it. I had the transparent black version of that. I could never make it work in my situation. I traded at guitar center for some cash and bought a really nice gator gig bag. I never took it out on a gig. It was just too different of an animal for me.

Hope you have fun with it!

BnB

David Anthony likes this.
  3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I used to have an 8 string Hondo and I miss it. It was a cool beastie to pull out for new colors. Enjoy and congrats!

4. Phud

Phud

Jul 2, 2017
    Ohio
    Congrats on your 8 string!!! You'll have a blast with it. You can add a chorus pedal and they sound amazing.
    Or distortion and Look out:bassist:! Congrats again..Enjoy!

The Elf2.jpg DSC04938a.JPG

10cc and B-Mac like this.
  5. David Anthony

David Anthony

Mar 3, 2016
    Yeah effects make the 8 strings even more awesome.

B-Mac likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ya think? :)

Room_404_12-28-2016_old_8-string_w_pedalboard.jpg

Qlanq and David Anthony like this.
  7. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    I noticed mine isn't on the GC site anymore. Is that where you bought it from?

8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Ooooooooooooooo Dean Edge Hammer ten string...….Oooooooooooooooooooooooo drooldrooldrooldrool

Phud likes this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Ric1.JPG
    Ric 4003s-8 wish I'd saved a larger picture... I call her "Lojangles". :D

10. B-Mac

drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

bholder likes this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Unfortunately, she fell victim to the notorious black folding bridge syndrome. :bawl::crying::bawl::crying::bawl::crying: Currently bridgeless awaiting a rebuild. Plan is to visit a machine shop and get a custom proper intonateable 8 string bridge for her. Kind of a cross between the Hipshot and the ones @Dadagoboi uses... She will rise again!!!!

David Anthony and B-Mac like this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    (I mean how hard can it really be - "make something just like this (Hipshot) except make it fit these saddles (from a good 8 string bridge)". Or basically make the baseplate Hipshot shaped with the back "mounting bar" from the 8 string bridge attached. Can't be that hard for a precision machine shop, right?) (Then powdercoat the whole thing black, too, of course.)

13. David Anthony

David Anthony

Mar 3, 2016
    Yeah, I did get it from Guitar Center. I don't remember which location. It needed adjustment and new strings but after that it is great. Just got a Big Muff pedal to use with it!

14. David Anthony

David Anthony

Mar 3, 2016
    Yeah, I did get it from Guitar Center. I don't remember which location. It needed adjustment and new strings but after that it is great. Just got a Big Muff pedal to use with it! Wow!!

15. David Anthony

David Anthony

Mar 3, 2016
    Wow! I'm jealous, that is surly a great AX.

bholder likes this.
  16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Looks like Gustav Mahler is shocked, shocked!

17. David Anthony

David Anthony

Mar 3, 2016
    Mahler is likely shocked but, Harry Partch would be unimpressed.

Jim Carr likes this.
  18. EDIT: nevermind, the battery was dead... so it's a three-band EQ...

Can anyone who has the Rogue LX408 tell me what the three smaller knobs are supposed to control? My friend has one and we figured out that the two bigger knobs are a volume control with push/pull active/passive switch, and a pickup balance control. But the three smaller knobs do nothing to the tone whether in active or passive mode. I can't find a manual online anywhere...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  19. B-Mac

The three smaller knobs should be bass/mid/treble when in active mode.
    The push/pull active switch might not be wired correctly?

20. The battery was dead when we were trying to figure it out. Replaced the battery and now everything's perfect

B-Mac likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022