This guy is a monster

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joeyzaza, Feb 28, 2006.

1. joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    What is he doing, or using on his bass? I never seen slap bass as fast, at least in that way, and I tried working it out and slowing it down, but no way, it's impossible, I can't even match a note, maybe he's using some octaver thing. Check it out.
  2. Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Looks to me like a double thump and adding in multiple plucks.
  3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
  4. joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    haha, you guys think it's crap, I love his tone, and his playing, it's tetsuo sakurai btw, an amazing bassist. check his album gentle hearts if you like that.

5. I think it sounds awesome too.

You have to remember, some people on here are just way too good at bass to like good slappers, but still feel the need to post negative feedback for an obviously talented player.
  6. That's what most people around here would call a "wanker". I don't mind it though, I love a good bass-shredding once in a while. His playing is great, but I have to agree with everyone else that his tone is pretty aweful.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Isn't he playing with Dennis Chambers? Enough said if he is....
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    wow, that was awesome!
  9. I hate negative comments, but I have to say something:

Tell me when you get near a song!
  10. joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    I didn't expect so many neg comments about him, and that's Dennis Chambers btw, who loves the guy, one of his favourite bassists to work with. That's the crazyist tune they did anyway, I have all the CD's and even the DVD of that whole performance, they all slip in and out of time quite a bit, and make a lot of mistakes, even Dennis!
  11. Hmm, i thought that was pretty bad, good technically, but mindless slapping like this sounds like crap to my ear. I love bands like Symphony X and Dream theater, so its not like i can't handle some wank from time to time...

But I must agree that the line at the end was kinda cool.
  12. joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    I see what you mean by wanking, but I what I find funny, is that jazzers will label a guitarist like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai, or at least some of their playing, as wanking, but when John McLaughlin or Al Di Meola does the same thing with a clean tone over jazz chords, it's something else all of a sudden. :eek: Lol :meh:
  13. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I thought it was cool. I like a little wanky craziness now and then.

I think they were aware of themselves flying off the handle a little. I saw Tetsuo flash a little "oh crap!" grin at Dennis at one point. Looks like they're having fun anyway!
  14. The glove is slowing him down considerably. I'd upgrade to a neoprene racing glove immediately.

15. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I felt liek teh solos were a little off time as well, but overall he's a very solid player. The tone is alright.. I'm nota Fodera worshipper really, but it isn't bad either. I'm sure he's better than me, haha.
  16. That was terrible. It wasn't double thumping, BTW, it was open hammer thumping. Much different techniques. The timing, tone, and technique were all bad. I would be interested (and surprised) to see where in print or on video you saw Dennis Chambers say that this guy was one of his favorite bassists to work with. Dennis has worked with everybody, and there is no way this guy is anywhere near the top. I know people are saying that maybe THIS clip was just bad, but if he was that good, there wouldn't be a clip that bad!
  17. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    How do you tell the timing is off?
  18. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    I can't do that yet. :bawl::scowl:
  19. You need to check out Victor Lemente Wooten... Now there's a winner. No rip on the bass player in the video, I like Fodera too!!!