1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is probably a stupid idea, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boombass76, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    I bought a 6-string MTD a few years back. Never really learned my way around it, and I constantly lost track of the notes when getting up high (which is kind of the point with a 6-string bass, right?).

For a while, I tried tuning it B-B, so the highest string would be like the second highest string on a guitar (I play guitar as well). It was better, but eventually I sold the bass...

Now, I have started to wonder if I should give it another shot. BUT I don't imagine that I will ever get my mind around a high C-string. Yeah, I know if you put enough practicing into it, anything is possible, but I know that's not gonna happen in this case :)

SO, this is where I am now.

1) Should I get a 5-string bass and tune it EADGB? That would be the 'easy' solution as I am used to handling 5-strings, and this tuning is pretty normal.

2) OR would it be possible to get a 6-string and tune it EADGBE. Yes, like a guitar - only lower :bassist:

3) This is a stupid idea, and I should just get a guitar - and maybe an octave pedal... :scowl:

The 2. solution would be great with all the high notes, AND navigation would be a breeze. But the main problem would praobably be to find a proper high E-string. gauge-wise, I guess a low E-string for a guitar would be OK, but it would probably be far too short.

Also, does anyone know what gauge strings for a 7-string have (BEADGCF)? (and where to get them?)

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It is not a stupid idea at all.

3. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Tim Bogert, in an interview years ago, said he tuned EADGBE because "20 million guitar players can't be wrong...".
    As far as a high E goes, there are lots of 7+ -string ERBs out there, a quick call to your favorite string manufacturer should hook you up.

4. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    I ran this tuning on a Conklin BDGT-7 for a while - tried a lot of strings - mixing sets, etc - finally settled on these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-SR2000-7String-Bass-Strings?sku=101005

Quite good, last a good while, sound kind of rotosound-ish, ina good way. You can get them at Amazon or at the link above. If you're anywhere near NAshville, I've got a couple of sets left over I'll give you. :)

Peace!

5. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Hey, thanks so much for the links - and the string offer :) Unfortunately, I live in Denmark, but thanks anyway!!!

It seems like the E-E idea may be possible after all. Now, I only need the bass ;-)

6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Fender Bass VI is tuned exactly like that, maybe it's what you need ?

Edit : search for "extended range guitar" on rondo music, they make some kind-of bass VI if you want to try one without paying $2000...

7. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Yeah, i know of the VI, but I think it's a litte 'too guitarish' - especially the tight strin spacing and sort scale :)

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Whichever way you go, I'd recommend practising/learning notes in stead of trying to get around that, with all your might ;)

9. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Well, as I stated in the OP, this will not happen in this particular case :)

I have spent plenty of time practicing - but that was in a period of my life when I actually had the time (primarily, when I studied at the conservatory).

Now, I have a full time job (plus some), a house, two cars and a family (wife and two small children)... So, time is definitely a luxury these days! ;-)

ALSO, I don't intend to ever become a gigging 6-string player (regardless of string configuration). I have way too many great vintage basses and trusty 5-strings. I imagine messing around with a 6-string at home and using it only for recording ideas that have the potential to 'go higher' every now and then.

Therefore, I also at finding a used 6-string that will only cost a fraction of any one of my other basses - it's just for fun this time. :)

10. I have a 90's Ibanez Sr506 tuned Low to High EADGBE (and sometimes EADGCF). Strings are old D'addario Prisms gauge .100, .080, .065, .045, .032, and for High E(F) I use a plain steel .018. The plain steel is not wound, but I believe they do make some roundwound.

They do not make Prisms anymore, but you could use Prosteel 6 string set and just add the High E.

Your question is not a dumb idea. If this tuning is what works for your play style, then by all means go for it. :bassist:

11. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, that G-B third is in there on guitar for making chords work with reasonable fingering. For bass, I want all the intervals between strings to be the same. YMMV, of course.

12. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Sure, I do see th point in having even fourth intervals across all strings, but when you are used to the 'guitar layout', a high B-string is an advantage, IMO.