1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

this is probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BGOLDBASS, Mar 16, 2008.

1. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    my buddy who is a monster bass player plays with a ponytail hair tie around the top of his strings , above the nut on the head stock....im guessing this is to some how dampen the buzz , but i wanted to know for sure:confused:

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    It acts in a similar way to foam pads near the bridge do. It stops notes runing out.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It acts as sort of a mute (like the foam pads under the strings at the bridge of some older basses).

If your buddy is such a "monster bass player" why not just ask him what the deal is?

4. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    cause i dont want to look like an amateur around him ....anyways

is there any specific type i should get ?

5. bassdaddy5

bassdaddy5

May 18, 2005
    This is quite a common trick used to mute unplayed strings while tapping or doing other fancy things. He probably keeps the hair tie there so it's handy when he needs it. He can just slide it onto his fret board. There is a one arm bass player" I think his name is Bill Clemens" who uses a hair band all the time. You can find him on you tube. He's amazing.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I doubt it makes a difference. Personally I don't think they work anyway. At least not like bridge mutes. I think the trick is to get it wrapped as tightly around the strings to get the most possible muting. Less tight, less muting.

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    This is ridiculous. Is there some reason he should expect you to know all these things if he's an experienced player? Just ask him what he uses and quit worrying about what he might think.

8. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Try as you might, he'll still probably figure it out.

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Yeah, no kidding.

10. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    They're really for different things. Bridge mutes mute all notes played and the open string sympathetic vibrations while the scrunchy is only (or primarily) used to deaden those annoying overtones you get behind the fretted note when you tap.