Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Position Technique

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by glivanos, Jul 14, 2005.

1. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Can anyone recommend some good method books regarding thumb position technique?

Thanks,
    George

2. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Simandl vol. I played up an octave.

3. Francesco Petracchi: Simplified Higher Technique is excellent for teaching the spacing of all the notes in the upper register.

It is published by Yorke Editions.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Next time you're in the City I can give you an hour or so rundown that will straighten you out for good.

5. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Eugene Levinson's School of agility is great, it offers many diffrent techniques of scales and arpeggios in 3 octaves. Excellent for thumb position.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I'll vouch for George Vance's books.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have also stated that in another thread not long ago that Simandl Book I has great progressive exercises and would be good for Thumb position up the octave. Any similar book with scales or etudes is also good. Application is a great teacher.

Ray, next time I am at Biases maybe you can come by and straighten me out for good as well...lol

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm all into it! I've been working really hard at systemizing my fingering method of the last number of years and would love the feedback from as many folks as I can get.

9. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Really? I'll give it a try.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    That looks like a teenager.. Ray's profile says he is 40 years old. Is the Pic old or the dates and resume wrong?

13. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Thanks everyone for your responses. For starters, I'm going to dust off my Simandl this weekend and give some of the exercises a shot at an octave higher.

I'll check into some of the other references.

Regards,
    George

14. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    When asked for books on thumb position, Charlie Haden also suggested the Simmandl (look here); however, I've rarely seen or heard him playing beyond 6th position :D.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Nope. That's me last summer. Young-looking runs in the family. My grandfather at 75 looked to be in his mid 50's.

What really bites my ass is when 20-somethings mistake my age and talk down to me. What cracks me up, though, is when the old guys try to figure out how a 27 year old punk knows all those tunes :)

16. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I just started lessons on the DB and my instructor uses Simandl and Goerge Vance. So far, just in one lessons and a few pages of the Vance book, I've learned a ton. Havn't gotten to the thumb posistion part of the book yet though.

17. The Simandl "New Method For The Double Bass" is divided into Books I (Orange) and Book II (White). Book II starts with "Part VI: The Thumb Position".

But then, I'm sure you all knew that already… ;)

- Wil

18. jahan

jahan

Dec 12, 2004
    Alameda, California
    I'd also recommend Ludwig Streicher's "My Way of Playing the Double Bass" volume 4. Great exercises!

19. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Will,

My Simandl Book One is blue. But then again I bought it when I was in 10th grade in high school in 1971!!

Yikes!!!!

Regards,
    George

20. Mmm - mine's ©Carl Fischer 1984… Your's sounds like a first edition - you might want to hang on to it, it could be valuable ;)

- Wil