Thumb rest install for Stingray Special 4HH

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Knavery, May 3, 2019.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey all,
    I just bought a Stingray Special 4HH used here on Talkbass. I really enjoy the instrument, but for some reason, the pickup(s) placement doesn't feel comfortable to rest my thumb. I have a couple Fender Jazzes and it's perfect, and you'd think that as much room as the Stingray 4HH pickups cover, it wouldn't be a problem, but for some reason, it is...

The perfect placement would be right between the pickups. So, the question is, what would you suggest for a thumb rest between the two pickups? I'd like to do EXACTLY what Tim Commerford does with his Stingrays. He put a thumb rest completely perpendicular with the pickups--a 90 degree angle off each. And I'd like to do the same thing. What would you suggest for a thumb rest? Any specific brands I should consider? I've never installed one and don't want to make the wrong choice. Thanks!

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Tough room.

3. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I was almost ridiculed for this but what the heck: Ikea thumbrest

The point is you can use any piece of wood, some glue or two-sided tape.

edit: typo

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. I make my own. cut the width and height i want from some scrap lumber, shape and sand it. seal it with some tung oil. 2 sided tape it on and bob's your uncle.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021