1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb rest? Yes or no.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappabass, May 23, 2020.

1. pappabass

pappabass Suspended

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Guys, I play a Sterling ray 4. The position that I get the sound I like is 1/2 way between the base of the neck and pickup. I want to add a thumb rest in this position. I hate to screw one on. Double stick tape will eventually turn loose plus does not look as good. Bass has a black pickguard & I have a black thumb rest. Its not like i am adding one to Fodera. Thoughts?

Big Shrek likes this.
  2. Can you get enough surface to work as a rest by putting your thumb on the edge of the PG?
    If that isn't enough for you I don't see the earth shifting on it's axis if you put black rest on a black PG.
    It's your bass, make it do what you ask of it.

csala, Seedpicker, nilorius and 3 others like this.
  3. pappabass

pappabass Suspended

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Thanks for reply. Edge of pickguard is a little too far away. I may use 2 sided tape to get my best spot then secure it down. Our gig starts back in 2 weeks, I need to start back practicing!

Claymore likes this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I vote yes, but also that most thumb rests are in poor positions (and too tall). Mine are right next to the lowest string (E or A, depending on if it's a 4 or 5). When I'm playing the lowest string, my thumb is on the side of the thumb rest. When I'm not playing the lowest string, my thumb is on top of the thumb rest, damping the lowest string.

Holey.JPG

5. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yes!
    [​IMG]

I make wooden thumb rests for my basses and stick them on with double-stick mounting tape. The middle one in the pic above now has one just like the brown one on the left. I prefer the tone I get playing between the pickups. I've never had one fall off while I've been plying either - mainly because of the width of the thumb rest and that they're not very tall. I wouldn't try using the foam mounting tape on one of those longer and narrower plastic thumb rests.

6. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    Try getting a Zero Mod thumbrest. You can simply use two of your existing holes. Here's a sample pic I found on Google images

EDIT: They've got black as well, if you want it to be invisible

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Scott Shaw, robert43, 2112 and 24 others like this.
  7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I would have voted no, but this one actually looks pretty useful. I have two basses sans pickguard and "anchor" my thumb either on the e-string or by simply pressing it gently against the body above the strings.

Elusive1 likes this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I "hid" the thumbrest on my StingKitty in the bow using double sided tape. The tape is more powerful than it seems: I can pick up the bass by the thumbrest, and we all know how heavy 'rays are.
    bass NuKitty 1.jpg

9. Vodyanoi

Vodyanoi

Mar 24, 2020
    You can use epoxy instead of stick tape; since the pick guard is replaceable, you won't do damage to the bass.

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    No.

I know you use a 4 string and I used to anchor my right hand thumb on one of the pickups ages ago when I still play one. But, ever since I got a 5-string bass in early 90s which required me to learn floating thumb technique to mute the low-B and other string(s) lower than plucked string, there's no need for me of such thumbrest.

The technique became more useful when later I got my 6 string and then 7 string.

I don’t have a 4 string currently, but when I play one, I don't anchor my thumb anymore.

gebass6 likes this.
  11. I’m in the same boat.
    I just ordered the “zero mod” one.

Not sure if they have one for your bass, but you
    could check it out.

I like the tape ideas too!

Big Shrek and pappabass like this.
  12. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    This is a good idea. I used the double-sided tape to get the perfect position lined up and after 2 weeks, I decided that I hated the thumbrest in general. Off it came. Very glad I didn't hastily screw one on at the start.

jam.majors and pappabass like this.
  13. I put a zero-mod thumbrest on my Ray34. It was a little too tall for my liking so I filed it down to be about the same height as the pickup. Now it's perfect for me.

14. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    No.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Same here. If anchoring...which I avoid nowadays...I rest my thumb against the B string and northeast aspect of the bridge pick-up. I find conventional thumb-rests too distant from the "playing field", creating an unnatural reach and subsequent strain. My muting technique leaves a lot to be desired and the floating thumb technique gives me a much better handle on the situation.

Riis

BLDavis and pappabass like this.
  16. Depends on the bass. My P's/J's,Stingrays I do.. Warwick's and T Birds I don't..

Ryno1330 likes this.
  17. 2playbass

2playbass

Aug 12, 2013
    That's brilliant. On my Rob Allen Deep 4 there is no thumb rest or pickup, and I just became accustomed to resting my thumb against the body when playing the E string. Same thing when I play my EBMM Sterling on other positions.

Elusive1 likes this.
  18. pappabass

pappabass Suspended

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    I like that. You are correct that most are too high. Top of the pickup on my Fender P bass is perfect.

19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    decades ago, I started using floating thumb which greatly impoved my delivery and speed....so, No

gebass6 and Lobster11 like this.
  20. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Re: double sided tape letting loose

Use 3M tape. Ever see those plastic rain guards that go on the outside of car windows? That’s what is holding those on. Clean both surfaces properly, and the tape will hold much longer than you need it to.