1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I don't have any details about the 2021 NR neck profile but I would expect it to be similar to the 2012 NR.

Miles_ONeal, PillO, Nocturnal and 7 others like this.
  2. Am I remembering correctly when I say that there are some Bird lovers whom also play Acoustic amps, or have in the past? I'm trying to date my newly acquired 140. What a cool amp! I've opened it up to look for any date codes inside and to no avail. All I have is the serial number (8787) and some numbers from the circuit boards. I asked the question in the Acoustic Club as well to see if I can get some guidance. Thanks!:hyper:

Gaolee, Miles_ONeal, PillO and 7 others like this.
  3. Ampeg's new Rocket bass amp series...is it their answer to the Fender Rumble series amps?
    If so...sign me up! I love how my Thunderbird sounds on the Rumble 200, but have always preferred Ampeg tone. I pre-ordered the RB-115 (200 watt) and have a RB-110 (50 watt) coming tomorrow from Sweetwater.

Ampeg – Bass guitar amplification

rocket-bass-family_residence.jpg

Miles_ONeal, PillO, Nocturnal and 7 others like this.
  4. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Interesting. Love the look. I've had both the Rumble and the Ampeg combos in recent years. Never could get the Fender to sound right to my ears. Kept the Ampeg. Clearly doesn't sound like my tube heads, but it clearly does have an Ampeg sound to it. Makes a great keyboard amp as well. Love the lack of weight in the Fender, however.

Hopefully Yamaha will breathe some new life into Ampeg without altering what people love in Ampeg.

Miles_ONeal, PillO, Nocturnal and 4 others like this.
  5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Looks to be. I’ve said my Mesa is my last amp purchase, but my little Rumble 25 that I travel with recently developed the dreaded static sound problem. When it gets to the point I can’t stand it any more, I’ll look at the RB-110 which is only a couple pounds heavier. Interested to learn what you think. Lots of choices these days.

dagrev, PillO, Nocturnal and 2 others like this.
  6. I just checked. I paid $500 USD for my used VP 3 years ago and it didn’t include a case. I bought a Yorkville case on my way home from picking up the VP from the GC in Bellingham, Washington. IIRC the case was about $150 CAN.
    The bass was like new except strung with Black Beauties.

dagrev, PillO, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.
  7. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    like the “Ultra Row” switch?....:D...

8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    You know, I actually use it from time to time just for the fun of it--when I want that folded horn sound! Much maligned as it is!

9. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    static sound?

PillO, GBassNorth and MCF like this.
  10. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Man, I love this album...

One of the hidden gems.

Mvf, Miles_ONeal, PillO and 4 others like this.
  11. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Yep. Not a buzzing or a crackling. At lower frequencies for now. I’ve read complaints that others have had with the same issue that progressively worsens.

12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Now you’re talkin’. The soundtrack of our high school keggers. The recording on it is really good IIRC.

dagrev, PillO, Nocturnal and 2 others like this.
  13. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    just on the 25 that you know off? that’s a strange issue as it points to something “ageing”[email protected] like that on your Rumbles?...

PillO, GBassNorth and MCF like this.
  14. I said the same thing of my Mesa D800 / 115 & 112 cab combo rig...but in the long run, I prefer the simplicity and weight of a single combo amp. Not to mention that each component of my Mesa rig (D800 head, 115 cab, 112 cab) was in itself equal to the cost of a 200 or 500 watt Rumble / Ampeg combo...
    Long story short, sold the Mesa rig and purchased two of the newly released Ampeg combos, and still have my Rumble 200 which works great w/ my T-Bird VP

PillO, Nocturnal, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.
  15. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Briefly: Nope.
    I've heard mention of that in Rumble Club, but-so far-I've had 0 problems. JIC, I keep a spare P____ bass amp in the 'gigmobile' but the only time I've needed it is when one of the guitarist's amps took a :poop:. Being totally in the dark electronically, I hit the power switch. It comes on. Cool. It doesn't come on. :poop:(again), go get spare amp, take Rumble to shop. Or just buy another.

PillO, Nocturnal, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.
  16. An Acoustic 140 and a matching 2x15 cab was the first amp we ever bought, probably around 1975. Loud and heavy(weight). Kind of a dull sounding amp by today's standards. A friend had a self contained version with 1x15 in it. I can't remember the model number, maybe "134". That was a cool unit, I wish I had one now. Eventually moved up to an Acoustic 470 before I switched to Sunn Betas for a year or two.

PillO, Miles_ONeal, MCF and 2 others like this.
  17. devilof76

devilof76

Nov 19, 2019
    Sabattus, Maine
    My Rumble 25 had the static issue. Sent it to my fix-it guy, he cleaned some pots and returned it. Problem was still there. Smacked the side once or twice; improved, but present. He was perplexed as he’d heard nothing. Sent it again, he still found nothing. Got it back and it was fine.

Been months. Still fine.

PillO, Nocturnal, MCF and 2 others like this.
  18. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    sometimes it’s local interference from something....if I had a dime every time I told someone, “make sure your cellphone is not near the amp”.....

Rocker47, devilof76, dagrev and 4 others like this.
  19. I'd be all over it but I need to sell an amp first. No ready $.

PillO and GBassNorth like this.
  20. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Not sure of others. I’ve had it since 2016 or 2017 and got it new for $99. Same issue regardless of bass, cable or wireless setup. I’ve also seen complaints about the headphone jack switch failing on some Rumbles, including the 25. Anyway, I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it.

dagrev, PillO, Miles_ONeal and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021