Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    maybe not to be taken seriously but not really far from the truth...see? contrary to popular belief...bass players CAN be smart...

Miles_ONeal, dagrev, Engle and 3 others like this.
  2. Lost? Most likely migrated. Nostrils, ears, back...

3. The metal heads will say "Friends don't let friends cut their hair", but really cutting your hair means you sold out. And I see nothing wrong with selling out as it generally means a good size payday!

Gaolee, Miles_ONeal, dagrev and 2 others like this.
  4. It is the back hair that gives good insulation allowing mature Canadian men and women to survive cold winter nights...

5. Ground wire to bridge got disconnected?

PillO, dagrev, KaraQ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    I've done some more experimenting, and found two things:

1) Whatever it is, it seems to be in the ceiling over my "practice area" (aka, living room....:unsure: ). No overhead lighting, but may have been at one time - maybe wiring still up there? But seems to be the only area, so far, that causes this.

B) Out of the four Thunderbirds I've tested so far (Vintage Pro, Pro 5, Blackbird, Classic Pro), the Pro 5 is the only other to pick up the hum, and it's not as loud/strong as with the VP.

Guess my solutions for now are:

A) Sit in a different spot while playing, at least with the VP. :facepalm:

2) Ignore the noise/pretend it's a custom distortion effect. :thumbsup:

n) Play a different bass. :(

n+1) Get the owner/manager to figure out what it is & fix it....:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: - yeah, that's probably not a real option :meh:

Gaolee, Larry V, GBassNorth and 7 others like this.
  7. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    is that in any way connected to the consumption of back bacon?

8. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    Ah... couldn't see those on my phone. Getting old sucks!

superdick2112, Larry V, Mvf and 4 others like this.
  9. All the best solutions always involve fire and explosions...

10. back bacon is Canadian slang...

For example:
    Canadian 1 - Did you spend the night with Celine last night?
    Canadian 2 - Yeah, we had back bacon so that we could both watch the hockey game.

Rocker47, Larry V, GBassNorth and 4 others like this.
  11. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    Normally, I would agree, but right now I'd be afraid that CA might finish burning to the ground :nailbiting:

12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Any fluorescent lighting in that space? Unusual lighting or dimmer switches?

13. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    No, nothing but empty ceiling, in the middle of the room.
    I did find one other spot in the living room ceiling (out of the places my cable would reach), at the edge near the closet, that has the same effect. Nothing there either :thumbsdown:

I'm thinking it's got to be some leftover wiring or junctions or some such, from previous lighting setups.

I hope :nailbiting:

[could always be aliens, tho :cautious: ]

MCF, GBassNorth, Miles_ONeal and 3 others like this.
  14. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Deleted.
    Disregard what sounded likely like a catty comment. In quickly reading I thought you were jokingly implying both were endowed with plenteous follicles. After reading it again, my reply was not humorous.

GBassNorth and PillO like this.
  15. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Very good point about dimmers. I think about fluorescent lights but rarely think of switches.

A local sound guy who had a company that installed sound systems once told me he had trouble with a church once that was hard to figure out. They had trouble on Sunday's, but when he would come to check things out he never could find the hum in the system. One Sunday it dawned on someone in the church what the problem was coming from. It was quiet for a while early on, then started making noise. They figured out that someone came into a restroom downstairs. They isolated and determined it was an exhaust fan downstairs in a restroom.

MCF, GBassNorth, Miles_ONeal and 2 others like this.
  16. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    eye brows

Larry V, PillO, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.
  17. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    actually, N+1 is the proper mathematical explanation for the need of another Thunderbird. N being the number of birds you currently own now.

Gaolee, MCF, Larry V and 5 others like this.
  18. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    I received a call from my Sweetwater rep today, said the thunderbirds are delayed till the end of June.

MCF, Goatrope, PillO and 3 others like this.
  19. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    1) try a different outlet for the amp.....
    2) with the setup making the noise, start turning off breakers till the sound stops with the setup obviously still on....if one of the breakers turning off quashes it, it should point you in the right direction....:thumbsup:

Engle, MCF, dagrev and 6 others like this.
  20. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Cute! But the reality is that hot tubes attract stranded Venusians (who average 3cm tall). Desperate for news from home, they build radio receivers into whatever they live in. Since they can’t hear or sense anything below 60khz, they have no idea of the signals they are injecting into the amp. Under a treaty we signed with the Jovians, we can’t tell the Venusians about this. No one knows why, but since the Jovians (not Mike Matthews) control the tube market, we don’t argue.

Gaolee, MCF, dagrev and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021