Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I shake the earth.... like dat.

2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Never had any RF interference or hum in any of my birds on any settings.

I once did have some hum and static interference noise coming out of my amp when I was playing a bird, but I quickly realized I had placed my cell phone too close to the amp. Funny thing was, that you could hear a clicking noise coming from the amp just before the phone would ring.

If you haven't already done so, make sure your cell phone is no where near your amp, bass or cables. Other than that, you might have a grounding issue with your bass. Also, try a different cable, they do sometimes go bad.

CasperDO, Rocker47, dagrev and 3 others like this.
  3. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Not that I’ve ever noticed.

dagrev, PillO and GBassNorth like this.
  4. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    You can remedy that. If it’s still there, there’s that nice Ebony VP in the classifieds for $600, case and shipping included.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Nocturnal, dagrev, PillO and 3 others like this.
  5. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    dukeorock, Gaolee, dagrev and 6 others like this.
  6. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ap
    What kind of amp was it?

7. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Still looking into it, was less late last night, than in the afternoon - but still noticeable.

I just got it out of its case yesterday, after about a 3-week "rest". Same strings (DR neon reds), same settings (v1=10, v2=~7.5, t=~8), but I did check both. Checked w/ 2 cables, & when that didn't change anything, I tried a couple of other basses (even a non-Thunderbird :jawdrop: ).

It does seem to be environmental, I can move the VP around in different places/positions & the hum gets less/worse. Lowering volume, especially on v1/neck pickup makes a difference (obviously), and using either overdrive makes it more noticeable.

But none of my other basses are doing this, and this one wasn't doing it previously.

Guess I just wanted to check if it was a feature, before I started looking for bugs ;)

dagrev, PillO, superdick2112 and 3 others like this.
  8. The back of the headstocks all appear to have the correct stampings for American made Gibsons.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    IIRC it was my Musicman HD150 bass amp. I had set my cell phone down on top of the amp while I was practicing. It was either that amp or my Fender SuperReverb guitar amp. It was years ago, so details are a bit fuzzy. If it's important I could probably recreate it, but Kara didn't mention anything about her cell phone location so probably won't help her much.

10. Mvf

Mvf

Feb 1, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    I’d say they are all US Gibsons. The stamp on the back of the headstock looks right, and the Orvilles and the vintage Japanese Epis had the output in the ”correct” position (= on the front of the body). These all have the output in the ”modern” Gibson position.

PillO, Larry V and MCF like this.
  11. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Not that I’ve noticed.

PillO, MCF, dagrev and 2 others like this.
  12. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    And you’d need to grow your hair (back?) out

PillO, dagrev and TBird1958 like this.
  13. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I took the Peter Pan Pledge.

dukeorock, Gaolee, PillO and 3 others like this.
  15. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    nah no need, just checking and you verified my suspicion of both being tube amps...

PillO, GBassNorth, MCF and 2 others like this.
  16. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Knee problems? Copperfit Spandex pants. Problem solved. No pics necessary.:D

(I don't actually think they make them. But if they did, it may cause other problems in addition to groupies going wild.)

dukeorock, Miles_ONeal, PillO and 3 others like this.
  17. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    This does seem to be a downside of tubes. I've noticed a few times the tubes(?) seem to act like little antenna. Even picked up radio stations in some locations.

My technical explanation is the same as to why tube amps are louder. The sound gets in the tubes and reverberates around and amplifies the sound, or the interference in this case. I'm sure you and Miles have a different way of explaining this!*

*This is not to be taken seriously.

Miles_ONeal, PillO, Larry V and 3 others like this.
  18. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA

I had totally forgotten about that band! But I recognized the riff immediately....
    (Headbanger's Ball ftw - I miss that show :( )

19. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Our 'crowd' don't move too good either.

20. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Lotta hard rock/metal bands cut their hair. I've mostly lost mine.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021