1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Jazz Flats E String Died in Just a Couple Months

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by christle, Aug 15, 2012.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had put TI Jazz Flats on my Precision and the E string just flat out died after a couple of months. That has never happened with TIJFs before. I have used them a long time with other basses (usually years). Anyone else experience this with TI's?

2. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    How does a flatwound string die? Ive had em on a couple bass's for years and they just get better sounding?

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Never with TI's. Had a LaBella low E that I thought was dead but just needed some breaking in, if that makes any sense. Is your pickup adjusted correctly?

4. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    I had a set that came with a dead E or A once. Can't remember which.

5. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This is my normal experience with flats. Hence the question :)

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The pick up is adjusted correctly. I have played with it a bit and ended up moving it back to its normal position. The A, D and G strings are just much more vocal than the E. The string just isn't articulating as well as the the one on the other Precision. Seems odd to me.

7. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That may be the case here. I thought it worth asking as it doesn't jive with all my other experiences with TIJFs which extends back about 10 years.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Since these strings are of such consistency string to string and of such good quality, a dead string would stick out like a sore thumb, especially since you have experience with them. Probably called it: a dead string. Try to contact TI and let us know how it works out. They are too expensive to not work but worth every penny when they do!

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That's the plan. I will post an update once I hear something. Thanks for the feedback guys.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do you have the string twisted? Unstring it and let it discharge any possible twists, then tune it up again and see what happens.

11. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    As above or maybe it's not breaking correctly over the bridge?

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Checked that. It was great last week. Last night it was dead, no notes.

13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks Tom!

14. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  15. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I've had a TI A-string die before. Even flats can have the core wrap separate from the outer wraps. The tough part about changing a single flat is the amount of time it takes for the one new string to break-in like the others...especially TIs which start out pretty bright.

16. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Just seconding, thirding, etc., the other posts here, including yours. I've enjoyed TI flats for years and years and years. Maybe you just hit a defect?

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

That's what I am thinking. I am going to follow up with the link Tom provided and ask them about it.

18. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That I am not looking forward to. We shall see.

19. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Email sent to Connolly so hopefully something works out there for me. In the meantime I put a set of DR rounds on so I can use the bass tomorrow night. It was nice to have an audible E string.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

20. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    Christle, I've been wondering the same thing. I've got a set that I've moved around from bass to bass for a couple of years and it seems the E has fallen way off. I've actually gone to TI Jazz Rounds for a while now and I'm not sure if the E was weak out of the package or not. I've done the usual set up and pick up raise etc. I've tried different EQ'ing but it's just not up where it should be compared to the rest of the set. I'm a TI fan but this has made me wonder about the flats. Thanks for posting and I'll be watchin, Lee.......