1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ties, man

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by knuckleduster, Dec 3, 2018.

1. What is with ties? I was gussying myself up for a job interview today, going with the rich guy look (blazer, gold buttons; white shirt; gray pants; red tie), and I could not for the life of me get my red tie to tie properly! I tied the bastard 6 times, and each time, it was either too long or too short! So, I angrily removed the red tie, grabbed my blue/silver tie, and *boom* first try, it was perfect. A cocaine-addled businessman couldn't have done it better! A handsome full Windsor, in a silky blue, accentuated over the antique white of my shirt. Simply smashing, if I must say so.

So, what gives? Why does my red tie in particular (not my blue one, nor my green one, nor my stars-and-stripes one) give me so much trouble?

2. So how’d the interview go?

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  3. Great, except I looked like a buffoon with a blue tie and a blue jacket :D:D:D

The first interview was with a real estate agency, and the guy was very impressed with my prior experience at a homebuilder. The second was with an HVAC testing company, and they were impressed with the experience I've built up in my current position as a maintenance technician, dealing (somewhat) with HVAC systems.

Oddly and Mr_Moo like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

they were probably all impressed that you could tie a tie...just get a clip-on for the red one. :D

congrats on impressing the job market! hope things work the way you want. good luck with the interviews! :thumbsup:

slobake likes this.
  5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I’ve had the exact same problem with certain specific ties.

knuckleduster likes this.
  6. Cool! or hot, or just air flow. ;)
    Sounds like you’ve got a pretty solid background.
    Best of luck to ya. :thumbsup:

knuckleduster likes this.
  7. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Jeez. I have not owned a tie since...1967. Wow.

ahc, catcauphonic and knuckleduster like this.
  8. Yeah, I've got quite a diverse work history stretching across several work environments; from factories and road construction, to office and administrative work, to hospitality and customer service...So, I really like to (and try my best to) present my rather scattered work background through the lens of being adaptable and ready and willing to learn in all kinds of situations.

bolophonic and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Too floppy. I don't wear one much these days, but I used to wear them for work. If the material is too floppy it won't tie well. Cheap silk ties are the worst. Nice ones have some sort of core material that makes them more stiff. They tie like a champ.

These days, if I'm in a tie, I'm going to court or a funeral.

Best if luck with the job hunt!

By the way, second hand shops can score you some nice ones. I bought one at a charity based second hand store a few years ago (when prepping for the interview for my current job). It seemed well made. The price was a few bucks and I think I gave them a five and told them to keep the change.

I looked it up on the interwebz later and it was several hundred dollars. I don't remember the exact figure but it was well over $200.

I wore it to a funeral and somebody even asked me why I payed so much for a tie.

I replied "It was for charity so I figured I would splurge five bucks."
    :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    If I could travel back in time I would strangle the Earl de Cravatt with his infernal creation. Why would anyone willingly put a noose around their neck??? And yes, I wore ties for years at work. And hated it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. I haven’t even worn a tie to a funeral in over 15 years.
    Probably the next time I do, I won’t care. :dead:

blastoff99, Mr_Moo and two fingers like this.
  12. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I wear one once a week on average, which keeps me in practice. But I do still have days where the thing does not want to come out right, and it does not seem to actually associate with any particular tie, just some sort of free-floating tie gremlin, or else it's the influence of the bolo tie sitting there on the rack trying to make me choose it - hard to get that one wrong.

If the neck size on the shirt is right, I don't actually mind them much. Trying to wear a pencil-neck shirt buttoned all the way up on my side-walk-chalk neck is not any fun, and it's a real pain to find a shirt that has a correct-size neck without being oversized everywhere else.

fhm555 likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I have one black tie, which only comes out for funerals.
    Happily it doesn't get much use.

14. That's exactly where the red tie in question came from! I looked it up online and it retails for like $65 or $70.

I'll never forget...I bought the red tie in question at the behest of a college professor, who required that we dress up in a suit and tie for our final semester presentation. I, being a broke-ass kollidge stoodint, couldn't swing much money for a suit and tie, so I hit up the local Salvation Army and St. Vinny's stores. Since the ol' Professor didn't specify that it had to match, I wound up with a tweed jacket, a black button down shirt, a red tie, and some khaki colored pants.

And that presentation was a company profile on Starbucks, so I learned WAY too much about the inner workings of Sbux...

Mr_Moo and two fingers like this.
  15. Yools

Yools

Jul 24, 2009
    Deepinaharta, TX
    I went to Catholic school for 12 years, and at the end of it I swore I'd never have a job that required wearing a tie. I'm about 30 years into my adult life, and so far other than a handful of weddings, funerals, and job interviews I've never had to wear one in my professional career. Pretty sure I haven't owned a tie for many years.

Although I have to say those 12 years internalized the process so much that, as I discovered at my mother's funeral a few years ago, I can still tie one of those things in my sleep and pretty much get it right the first time.

-Y

Mr_Moo and two fingers like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Yes!! The last interview I had was with the planning department of the county planning commission, where I had to explain how my recent experience as a prosthetic fabrication technician related to their requirements. I was one of two finalists. Adaptability and diversification have provided me with so many interesting job opportunities throughout my life.

(Being part of the good-ol-boys network would have most likely provided me with the actual job with the county, but that’s not a “skill,” per se.)

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. It ain't who you are.
    It ain't who you know.
    It's who knows you.

One prior job was offered to me because the company president knew my dad. The next job was offered to me because the boss's wife and my mom were good friends. The next job after that was offered to me because I went to high school with the boss's little brother. My current job was offered to me specifically for the fact that nobody in the organization knew me; same concept, but the complete opposite approach.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  18. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I have a clip on fish tie, but then I suppose that wouldn't work for a job interview. It is good when Mrs. slobake is bugging to wear a tie. I just pull out that little number and all talk of tie wearing disapearrs.
    Seriously though, good luck with you job hunting. I pray you get the job that is perfect for your situation right now.

fish tie.

Mr_Moo, two fingers and Oddly like this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    As someone with no actual neck, my shoulders just taper up the base of my skull, i have never had an off the rack shirt i could button the top button on that didn’t look like a tent with my head sticking out the top. Even moving the top button over as far as possible didn’t work. Since my late teens, any time a tie was required i had to buy shirts that fit my neck and have them taken in to fit the rest of me. Fortunately i no longer own any fitted shirts (or ties) and if i’m lucky that will not change between now and the day my corpse gets tossed out on the ground at the body farm. If i’m not welcome without a tie i’m in the wrong place.
    I do keep a blazer, khaki trousers, and a pair of penny loafers should formal attire be required. But a tie is simply no longer a feature of my reality.