Tim Commerford using Lakland Basses.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Jan 24, 2008.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I made a pact when I was like 5, that if I ever became a famous musician I would get a right arm sleeve in the same fashion as Timmy. Thats a great pic to further my dream. BUT, once big problem... not a famous musician. Seems to me like Lakland is becoming the new Fender... at least to bigger name bassists. :scowl:

2. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    That's one beautiful bass. Tim usually used maple fret boards like with his Fenders but it seems like he's been going with rosewood on the Laklands.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Lakland is aggressively pursuing endorsees, that's why. They're giving endorsees things Fender won't, apparently. And in the sales game, he with the most endorsees sells the most basses. I don't really understand why rich rock stars care about getting free gear. But I guess it's publicity for them as well, so I guess I understand it better than I think I do ;)

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Jimmy most of the Kat's you see playing Laklands now already owned a Lakland or two(or more in some cases) and have a long and positive relationship with Dan and the guys at Lakland.

And its not about Fender not giving them a bass because Fender can and does, it's just that the artist doesn't want what fender has to offer.

As far as rich rock stars getting free gear. From a business perspective they should, because they will definitely sell product for the company and to me it really doesn't make since for big ticket selling artists to pay for some thing that they will turn around and generate dollars right back into the pockets of the company, sometimes quadrupling what the cost of giving away one free bass.

How many people do you think will go out and buy a new lakland after seeing Tim C with one? at the least 50 minimum(world wide).

5. True Dat

6. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    +1000

7. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    +1!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can't argue with that at all. People do buy basses they see their heroes using so they definitely should see some benefit from it. And Lakland does have a great reputation for high quality stuff. But if I were a rich rock star, I wouldn't want to trade the ability to play whatever I wanted at any given gig just because someone else offered me free stuff. If I felt like trotting out my favorite non-endorsed bass now and then, I would be a little bummed that I couldn't do it or I'd breach a contract. Then again, unless Bowzer becomes a huge star again, I don't think I need to worry about it ;)

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    A lot of times one can use a different brand but the main one should be used at least 75-90% of the time. Most real companies know that no one bass will do it all.

And a lot of times there are no contracts.

And as far as being a rich rock star, remember they have to be careful as well, so that they are not exploited to a degree, because some companies will try it and still have that rich rock star thats bringing money to their brand pay.

What would you do if a big rock star from a popular band called you up and said that they wanted to use one of your companies basses, for a performance that will air on the Jay Leno Show, a show that is guaranteed to be seen by millions?

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Nice photo. hard to tell the blocks are flame maple, but the first time I saw a lakland, the birdseye dots looked like copper.

You know...copper blocks might look cool. Hmmmm....

lakland really doesnt have the bottomless pit of money that fender does. If I was given a free bass though..I wouldn't mind it at all if it was made by Carl and the crew at Lakland. Stuff makes up for having no game. =(

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    First off, I'd chide them for appearing on a show hosted by someone as soulless and without remorse for the evil and underhanded things he does as Jay Leno, and then I'd ask for a shipping address so I could overnight ship it.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    That is funny :) and you are a smart man.

13. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    I didnt know Jay Leno was evil. I just thought he was annoying.

Jimmy, your knowledge precedes you unequivocal talent.

We have words for people like you...PIMP!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! My wife has other words for me ;)

Yes, Jay Leno is pure soulless evil. He hired Helen Kushnick as his manager because she was one of the most cutthroat showbiz managers to ever live, then turned his back on her when she became a liability to his reputation. He stole the Tonight Show (along with more than a couple bits) from the guy who made him a huge star, David Letterman, and had a major hand in forcing Johnny off the show. He has stolen numerous bits from Howard Stern as well ("Jaywalking," his signature bit, is a direct ripoff of a bit Howard did numerous times called "The Homeless Game"), and then he stole Stuttering John to be his announcer, thinking that a little bit of cool from Howard's show would rub off on him, but all it did was make Stuttering John less cool. There isn't a person on earth that Jay Leno wouldn't sell down the river to further himself, including the people who helped him get where he is. And that, to me, is soulless.

15. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    That tone was soooo incredible..just think back to Take the Power Back, Bombtrack, Killing in the Name, Freedom, and the rest of it. One of the best "grinds" ever.

16. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Thanks for the insight Jimmy.

Going back to RATM. I remember in bass player, mtv and what not, that the stingray thru a GK 800rb and hartke 410's was the sound...It got played out and Tim went and found his own unique sound. For better or for worse I imagine.

But thats just an observation.

17. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    They're both great tones. The Stingray tone on the debut record (and live in support of that record) was awesome, best Stingray tone since Joe Lally on Fugazi's Repeater.

That said, I was really amazed by the tone shift when he went passive on Evil Empire. The syrupy, distorted tone on that record was simply sick. So for me either one works and supported the band well, likely due to the open space of Rage.

The bottom line is that whether he's winding his own pickups, soldering his own pedals, modding his own amps, or playing active or passive basses, Tim C. has great ears for tone and I'll always respect that. Pigeon-holing yourself into one or the other doesn't make too much sense to me. Good tone is good tone (most importantly for the player themselves) and it's all subjective.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    He's a bit of a nutball, but he does have good tones. Sorry to see Rage reunited, though. Rage is one of those bands that sounds awesome until the vocals start, and his eagerness to get murderers out of jail disturbs me.

19. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    BADA$$!!!!

20. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    I love that bass. It is soooo cool!!! I'm a fan of RATM and audioslave. Tim is one of the reasons I picked up a bass. :bassist::bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021