1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tim Parent (bassist for Ninjaspy)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hibachiduck, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hey, so I don't see much info on Tim Parent on here, so I figured I'd start a thread. He's the bassist for Ninjaspy, a metal / ska hybrid band. The first thing that caught my ear from this guy is his amazing tone. It's just so fricken warm, his tone feels like fricken caramel. He plays some pretty involved stuff here and there, yet it always fits and always seems tasteful. They mix him in pretty darn well too. Does anybody know what gear he uses? I did a google search and saw an interview he did where he talks about his main bass which is a really sexy looking fiver with Barts in it. I didn't see any details on his amp or pedals though.

I'm not one of those who try to steal others' tone, but I would like to know how to get a tone like his so I can break out of my overdriven tone I play on most of my set. I play a Sterling, a J/P Frankenbass, and now a fretless Jazz through a Fender TBP-1, and even though the TBP-1 does a really good vintagey sound when you turn on the extra gain tube, when I play it clean I end up with a pretty hi-fi tone. I have a feeling somebody's going to tell me "buy an Ampeg/Mesa/Trace" haha. I love that hi-fi sound on our acoustic stuff, but on our regular rock/punk songs, I'd like to get a good, warm tone without having to go overdrive all the time.

2. DanPearse

DanPearse

Jun 9, 2013
    Devon
    Theres some footage of him playing an ibanez SoundGear 5 string, (SR505 i think) but his main bass is a "Mike Kinas" custom 5 string with Bartolini humbucker and single coil Pickups, i think he uses Ampeg cabs, 2 4X12's, I'm sure he uses some sort of line 6 device in his rack, and a BBE sonic maximizer, also a decimator ( all rack units). Ive heard him playing with reverb, chorus, distortion, envelope filter and a regular wah pedal.
    This is just what I've seen from watching Ninjaspy, Buckman Roe and his solo stuff live on youtube.
    Hope this helps! :)