1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tips on playing metal

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Apr 18, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey guys, I just got asked today if I wanted to play in a metal band. I dont really know much about the genre I listen to a couple of metal bands like iron maiden, and metallica. But do you guys have anytips on bassline writing and some suggested listening?

2. Metal is a pretty big genre today. Do you have any more spesifics? Black Metal/Hair Metal/Troll Metal?

3. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Basically stay to the root, and deviate from that when there is room. Keep it tight and have fun!?

4. Playing Metal can be fun. To get a feel for Hard rock, listen to AC/DC back in black album. relatively easy and fun to play. Iron Maiden is a bit more complicated. Steve Harris plays the bass well, He has a fast finger style, very melodic and mainly sticks to the scales based on Root thirds and 5ths occasional 7th. He continues to be my favorite metal bassist. I like everything from the first album to Number of the Beast. Another good Metal band would be Judias Priest. Not to difficult, amazing vocals and guitars. Metallica is also good. I like the older stuff with Cliff Burton but Jason Newsted is no slouch either. If you can play stuff from these bands you can survive in most metal situations.

5. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Im not really sure what type of metal it is we would be playing I think it would be something along the line of In Flames if they even play metal.

6. Just make sure to wear cut off jeans, army boots, grow your hair up and stop with the hygiene. Also, the more facial hair the better. :D

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    In Flames is very melodic. Hopefully you have a little knowledge of classical music. Iron Maiden is a good primer for In Flames.

If I were you, I'd start listening to a lot of bands from Sweden:

Hypocrisy (I recommend the Final Chapter album)
    Edge Of Sanity (Crimson and everything before it)
    At The Gates (anything by them)

These three bands should help you get an idea of the genre, especially At The Gates.

8. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I played in metal bands back in the day, they key thing for the bass was to lock in with the drums, the bass pedal in particular. In some kinds of music, that is not a critical part of playing bass, but in the style of metal I played, (metal covers and orginal nu-metal) staying locked tight in with the drums was vital.

Also, the bass lines pretty much doubled the guitars. I wasn't off playing some kind of counter line or melodic line while guitars did their thing. My job was to deepen the guitars and make the rythmn of the music really dig in.

But as said above, metal has fragmented into many different sub-genres, so what I just told you may not apply at all to what you are playing.

10. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    There's a story that (I think) Bob Daisley auditioned for Ozzy...

They put on a click track and asked him to play bottom E 8th notes until they told him to stop.

20 mins later they told him he had the job!

If it's classic metal - Judas Priest, Ozzy, Saxon, ACDC then thats about all there is to it. It's more fun than it sounds...

Hopefully you'll get to mix some more interesting stuff in there - there ARE good metal bass lines. I actually just got back from rehersal playing Ozzy's Shot in the Dark: dead easy - 60% pedaling 8th notes, but some really cool bits in the chorus.

Ian

11. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I can give you a couple of tips to playing metal.

The first tip, after striking the metal, bring the mallet off the metal to create maximum resonance.

The second tip, make sure the metal is freely suspended and freely allowed to vibrate. This will create the maximum sustain the metal can give.

The third tip, make sure you strike the metal with something that won't corrode the metal itself, and don't let the metal corrode by induction to air or water either. This is a great way to ruin your experience playing metal.

The fourth tip, using a parabolic dish behind the metal acts as an acoustic resonator and will greatly amplify the sound of you playing metal.

That should be a start for you. Let me know if that helps.

[/satire :bag: ]

Seriously, the worst thing you can do is sweat it. There's so many ways to play it, you could play with or without a pick, play roots, double the guitars, or grab a fretless off the rack and pull off your best Sean Malone imitation. The options for you are endless depending on the band and the options of which you're given.

12. To tell u the truth i believe metal is more about image then skill. Get ur bass and play it the most kool looking way u can without hurting urself or the playing. Make sure u can play your 8ths and make sure ur good at playing roots. Heh u can spice the lines up if u wanted to. Hardly can hear the bass in metal..

13. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    I would agree and disagree with people here atm... my view on bass for metal is too ADD to the rhythm. Listen to the song and figure what you mite be able 2 add, then play... see wot happens if u like and they like no probs. Also try adding a slite groove to the feel even head bangers need sumthin to move too. Also try listening to megadeth and maybe also dream theater, papa roach may help depends on the style, or listen to none of the above and try 2 b original. Entirely upto you... YOUR the bassist not me lol

HAVE FUN :p

14. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    :eyebrow:

Uhh? What's that? Name some bands or something.

Is that like Cookie Monster music?