1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TL-606 Advice and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by estimated_eyes, Aug 28, 2019.

1. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    Hey all,

Hoping for a bit of direction in regard to my cab set-up and what may suit me best.

I am currently running a TL-606 cab with a EV 15 in it. This is being powered with a GK 700 Rb II

My band was previously a 3-piece with only a kick drum, so the 606 got the job done. We recently added a drummer and I'm concerned my 606 isn't going to carry me the way I want it to for a lot of gigs.

I've got the cab tilted so it's not playing to my knees, but I still can only push the cab so much per the speaker rating, and only using 1 15. I'm using a L/HPF which is helping me run the cab at higher volume, but I feel I've hit the ceiling for as loud as I want to push this single 15.

Looking for recommendations on where I should potentially go from here???

While I would love to simply add another 15, I don't think I can make it fit in my car for transport to gigs.

So the questions.... should I put something like a Kappalite 3015 in the cab to push it a bit more? is that a ridiculous thought? Should I get a 210 to put on top of my cab? Should I bail on the 15 and look for something else entirely?

I will say, I do love the sound of 15's :bassist:

Anyway, thanks in advance to taking the time to read and suggest any direction for me!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    EVM is a 200w driver, EVM Pro line is a 400w driver . . . (which is what the TL606 design is for . . .) and EV ratings are pretty conservative. Not sure what driver you have that only rates 125w, but if true, it's not likely correct for a '606 . . .

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a TL606 and both the recommended EVM driver as well as a 3015.
    I don't think either would get the job done with a hard hitting drummer and loud guitar assuming you want clear and loud.
    I've been happy with a 2x12 GB cabinet as a 45ish lb. solution
    Adding another 15 could be a good play although it is important to know exactly what speaker you have now

TinIndian likes this.
  4. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    I must have been mixed up with something I was reading online...

The speaker is a EVM Pro

I was thinking about a 212 cab as I've been seeing a few listed locally. I've also been eyeballing another 15 cab, but again, I'm not sure I can make it fit in my car.

This on top of my partner wondering why another cabinet is sitting in our living room, haha

5. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    What a novel idea, the guitar players turning down.

The drummer is actually not a hard player, but as drums have come into the mix, the guitars have come up.

Been trying to approach the subject of our levels coming down, but you know how that goes....

6. I wouldn't rule out getting a second 606 box unless you are absolutely certain you couldn't fit it your vehicle. I would even consider mocking up a cardboard copy to confirm it if a tape measure indicates it's close. I say this because I think another 15 cab is the best solution to your situation. And I wouldn't waste any effort 'upgrading' the driver either...there's nothing wrong with the driver you got. Just my opinion, of course. Good luck with it.

7. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    Appreciate the advice!

Redbrangus likes this.
  8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Don't put it on top of your partner. ;)

Chickenwheels and estimated_eyes like this.
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I still have the TL606 plans that came with my EVM15B in ca. 1981. The speaker is gone... sold it to a drummer who wanted to get into bass playing. ;)

My view is that the TL606 is a basic ported box, albeit well designed and extremely rugged. The design was published at a time when it was very hard to find credible info on DIY speakers, especially for non-hi-fi applications. So the TL606 plans met a real need. And there are probably relatively few bass drivers that would behave badly in that box.

But I think that the TL606 is also outdated in light of modern design. Of course it sounds the way that it sounds, no dispute there. But if the OP were thinking about adding another basic ported box, the fEarful plans and kits, or comparable lightweight designs, should be worth considering. The gigging world has changed for most of us. A box made from 3/4" plywood and full linings is probably overkill.

10. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    EVM 15 Proline is 400 watts average with peaks to 1600 for 8 hours, as tested:

Recommended Enclosures; Special Note On Low-frequency Performance; Front Mounting Detail; Rear Mounting Detail - Electro-voice PRO-LINE EVM-15L Datasheet [Page 3]

(See page 3 for ratings detail). The TL606/EVM can be subject to overexcursion if driven too hard too low (consider step-down mode) but is a pretty rugged driver - I ran them in PA bottoms with very little issue for years . . . but the TL is still a single driver, which may or may not be enough for you.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  11. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    Between my HPF and the way I’m running my head, I don’t think I’m in danger of blowing the speaker.

I am intrigued by the Fearful route, have been eyeballing the 15/6 for years but I have never heard one or played one. With the Fearful I am also wondering if it would resolve any issues with hearing myself on stage compared to the 606.

As far as size and getting some speakers closer to my ear, any thoughts on a 210 cab for the top of my 606? Anyone have experience running this setup?

12. I played a TL606 in loud band for many years back in the day. I also had a 210 that I stacked on top of it. The combo of the two sounded good, but I ended up ditching the 210 ‘cuz the pair were too much to carry. I played in a loud band with a really loud B3 player and the TL606 covered every gig we did no prob.

Here’s the thing: you could get/build another TL606 or you could get a 210 top for it. However, both of those cabs are pretty old school and nowadays you get a much more efficient cab that’s smaller, lighter, and louder.

I haven’t tried the Fearful, but there’s a couple of guys here on TB who know a bit about both the TL606 and the 12/6. I’d seek them out and look for some enlightenment.

I’ve been eyeing that Chris Cole 212 kit on Speaker Hardware myself, but I don’t have time for any new projects right now.

estimated_eyes likes this.
  13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    the 3015 would give you slightly more overhead. likewise the fudful with the lf version be slightly more.

1x15 is 1x15 eventually you hit a threshold on how much spl you can reach. likewise dumping a ton of power into one, more powerful speaker can work. but it wants more power. alot more to get to where just adding another 15 would get you. nothing really beats a good fullrange 2x15.

pretty much the standard for working with a drummer. 2x15 and the 4x10 pretty common way to reach a light to med drummer. heavy meaning very very loud bands.

regardless of big claims and mega amazing speakers. Eventually you need 2x speakers. or atleast its cleaner and more pleasing and less worry free to not be riding a speaker on edge.

anyhoo ive shoved 2x15 , 4x10and various 1x15 pairs into alot of very average and very small cars. i think it can be done its easy. or add a roof rack. i got a 810 to a show with 91 Geo lol ....you can do it

TL606 roughly same formula its always been for 15 cabs roughly 3 cubic feet 3.4 if i remember correctly. and a adjustable slot port 55 and 40hz
    the fudful is exact same thing roughly 3 cubic feet and a slot port. tuned to aprox same high tuned freq of the 606 put you cant step it down to the bass setting like the 606. its literally made of 1/2 plywood instead of 3/4 plywood so its lighter. otherwise same old thing. except it uses a cheap mid driver cause the LF driver has no highend.

run a matching 2x15 pair. its amazing and easy. no need to use a 2x10 or any other contraption. 2x10 is rougly same as a 1x15.

otherwise a matching high powered 2x12 cabinet is a good option. the efficiency is slightly more than 1x15 but power handling and max SPL goes up more. than trying to dump a bunch of power into a single driver.

3015 pretty well rounded driver. LF is a muddy butter bucket. 3015 will drop right into 606 and sound fine in step down 40 hz preferred, or high tuned at 55hz if for some reason that suits your need or tone

Redbrangus likes this.
  14. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    Can you explain the way to step-down the cabinet? My understanding is that I would cover some of the vent?

@Freekmagnet Thanks for the advice! I'm not looking to break the bank on this venture (Fearful route), so I will keep an eye out for a 210 or 115 on the local market.

The Fearful and Greenboy cabs look great, but again, I have never heard one so I have no idea how they sound.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  15. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It depends on the TL606 variant. If yours has the slot port with three sections, you cover the center and leave the outers alone.

Joedog likes this.
  16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that the 400 watts continuous did not end up being rated the same nor did it survive in the same way as the 200 watt rated version. It was (in part) a re-thinking of how speakers were rated, and in practice there were quite a few more failures with the 400 watt version powered at 400 watts than the 200 watt version powered at 200 watts. The low frequency extension was not very good either but this appears to be more from the trade off that makes the mid voicing so nice and extended.

I saw an awful lot of both the series 2 and the pro line drivers in for recone during that time period, a lot of the prolines had substantial damage from being overpowered. The only difference was the voice coil adhesives and coating, all of the other parts remained the same.

In an optimally tuned cabinet, I think you could expect a -3dB response to about 50Hz and a mechanical power handling limit of about 250-300 watts RMS. (this is from memory when I did some OEM designs with these drivers for pro audio)

estimated_eyes and Passinwind like this.
  17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yup pretty much. simple explanation, there is a plate that covers the port. which lowers the frequency.

the length of the slot port stays the same of course its hard to adjust that. for most part is how you can set port frequency in design. likewise size of overall opening.

but its easy to just block portions of the opening to make them smaller. youd think tuning would raise with smaller openings. but the math and how resonance works pretty much lowers the tuning.

I mean you could criticize and tear the design apart. but it was rather simple and genius way of making a enclosure with tuning you can adjust.
    55 hz for general purpose PA use 40 hz for extended bass or bass musical instrument use.

you could also achieve the same thing with flared round ports say you had 4 or 6 ports which achieve the higher tuning. then plugging 2 at a time would lower tuning in steps.

50 hz and 40 hz is about right for most 15" drivers. but some drivers or subs can go down to 30 hz . i made a test cabinet years ago at 3.4 cubic feet that started at 50 hz and then stepped down to 40hz and then 30 hz. pretty fun exercise at port calculation math at the time and a chance to actually hear different tuning quickly and get other peoples opinions quickly

estimated_eyes likes this.
  18. I gig constantly with either one or two TL606 bins. Both are old 80’s slot ported. One has an EVM 15 L. One has an EVM 15B.
    *If you haven’t put your’s into “step down” mode (centre port slot covered) you should do it. To me they sound cleaner, bigger and smoother this way. Just a nicer sound in the mix.
    *Don’t be tempted to use more power. If you need more volume, use more speakers.
    I often gig just one in a loud band, but using two is vastly better!
    I use a GK800RB mostly.
    If you don’t want to/can’t lug two 15 bins, you might have to buy something else. Pity, nothing sounds as nice as a stand alone EVM 15 imho.
    Best wishes!

estimated_eyes and agedhorse like this.
  19. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    evplans-.

"construction" view at lower right shows the cover.

606 is rather straight forward and fool proof. and good learning experience. but will get criticized by most eventually.

I personally dont like slot ports. Flared round ports or dual flared round ports are vastly superior. as far as efficiency, friction and accuracy and lower distortion. but slots work. and any typical bass driver drops into the thing and sounds right.

good road map and basic formula for volume and tuning for bass application.

then of course the EV drivers can have somewhat of a cult following. so if you had original EV drivers and put it in a 606 including a cool looking EV logo on the side. its about as authentic as it gets

Meaning every once in awhile i get the urge to hunt down old drivers. and do the whole 606 thing again. to complete nerd level as described lol. black with authentic logos and everything. if you can play bass and know what your doing a 2x15 EV rig with any basic 100 to 200 tube head. just plain hits it

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    estimated_eyes and Chickenwheels like this.
  20. estimated_eyes

estimated_eyes

May 12, 2013
    So to put my cab in step down mode, I'm just screwing a piece of wood over the center slot?