Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To all bassists currently with teachers

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jazzbo, May 27, 2004.

1. Print Ad (magazine, newspaper, etc.)

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. Online Ad (Please list source)

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Teacher is an existing friend

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Word of mouth

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Flyer

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Music Store

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  7. At a gig

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. Other (Please detail)

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How did you find your teacher?

I'm curious to know how you came upon your teacher, how it's worked out for you, and any advice you would have for those students looking for teachers.

Please feel free to give details if your answer doesn't fit into the poll, or let me know if I should ammend the poll.

Thank you all.

2. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
    A friend of mine introduced my teacher to me. My advice would be to find a teacher who you feel comfortable with, don't just stick with the first guy you find. Although it helps, they don`t have to be into the same styles as you. My teacher introduced me to loads of different music styles and I can honestly say it has greatly benefited me.

Good luck!

3. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    My teacher had put up a flyer (kind of) at the city library, with his telephone number. Getting lessons from him is probably my best move as a bass player :)

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you guys so much for the input. Keep it coming!!! Maybe we can inspire others to get lessons.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Well, my teacher kinda found me. He posted right here in GI.

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I work at a community college that has a good music department. I heard a faculty ensemble play at a college function, and the bassist was quite good. I found out you could sign up for private lessons even if you were not pursuing a degree in music. I was nervous as heck at the first couple of lessons, but I'll tell you, I have not learned as much in 10 hours ever. I highly recommend lessons with a competent teacher. He might not have taught me what I thought I needed to know, but taught me what I didn't know I needed to know. Challenged me. Very satisfied.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My father gave me a gift certificate for 4 lessons with a teacher for X-mas. So far I've only gone in for two, but since I'd already taught myself a good deal, I've basically just went in and had him teach me stuff that I can't learn on my own.

Jazzbo: I do remember you posting somewhat along the lines that one can learn more in 5 lessons than one can with any given self-taught resource...this is very true!

8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I saw my teacher at jazz workshop gig he was doing, playing DB. I met him on a break and asked if he gave lessons on electric. He said he did and I signed up right there. Fabulous player and after two years I am saving to buy an upright.

9. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I walked into the music "school" where he was and asked if they knew a bass teacher who spoke English. The guy offered me a beer and smokes to entertain myself with till he finished his class! Then took me to his place to show me his home studio, extensive sheet music collection,basses, amps, vcd's and giant cardboard cutout of Jaco.

10. I was still taking classical guitar lessons at the time, and when I asked him about starting to play bass it turned out he was a bass player too.

Anyway, he's part of a 'school' (private), there's piano, flute,... teachers too. I heard that there was a school starting there two years ago, so I just signed up.

11. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Music store for me.

I remember before even acquiring a bass seeing ads for the local music store and the ad stated it taught lessons. And when I was shopping around for a bass and was in the store I inquired about lessons. Soooo, when I finally got my bass I went to the store and asked about lessons. It so happened the bass teacher was there that day and he gave me the info I needed and so I signed up for lessons. Still taking lessons at the same place (new teacher, though; my old teacher's since moved away). The rest is history...

12. My current jazz teacher is also the teacher of a heard, who I heard about him from. My classical teacher is the former teacher of a friend, I also heard about my piano teacher from a friend, so all by word of mouth.

13. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I found my teacher online. I went through a bunch before I found one that actually knew how to teach.

There are a million great players in the world...but there are very few real teachers. Make sure you find someone that knows how to teach. There is a very real difference.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I was grumbling about being at a dead end to an acquaintance at my day gig and he handed me the article (that I submitted here), Joe Solomon's GUIDE TO DOING IT THE SLOW WAY. I called Joe within a couple of days, because the things he said in that article so resonated with me. And here it is almost 7 years later.

15. I threw a NY Eve party and one of the guests noted that a monster jazz bassist lived right around the block. When he mentioned his name, I knew who he was immediately.

I went to one of his shows and talked to him a bit, mentioned I was his neighbor, I played electric bass, and that I was interested in lessons.

I've been playing for 25 years, and it's hard to find someone who knows what you need to know that you don't already think you do. This guy does exactly that.

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    "Music School" , its quite common here in Belgium, dunno about other countries though.

Its some sort of part time art education. You start of with a year "Solfège": Music Theory, singing, dictations and that stuff (all very very basic), the second year you can choose your instrument, but you still have to do 3 years of basic "solfège". When I started you had to do 3 years of classical guitar first, after that you could choose electrical guitar or bass. I chose electrical guitar, but I didn't get along with my teacher (some kind of mutual hostility) and I had class together with some genius guy, which was all very depressing. After 4 years of Electrical guitar I switched to bass. I wish I had started bass earlier, It would have been so much further by now (I guess)...

I'm really happy with my teacher, great guy and I see myself progressing...

wanna learn? get a teacher!

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I did a google for music instructors/schools in my area. By total luck of the draw I ended up being taught by the bassist for Rane. He started on cello at 7 and picked up bass at 13.

He's a Berklee graduate and in the 1.25 years I took lessons with him he taught me much about theory, listening, blues & jazz blues progressions, tonic, dominant and subdominant notes/chords and more.

I stopped taking lessons last Fall to concentrate on school. Now that I'm done (Woohoo!!) I'm going to try a different teacher so I can get a different perspective on the bass. Luckily for me there is another accomplished bassist (Bob Laramie) that gives lessons at a different music school in my area so I'm going to give him a try.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I went to my local music store and found my teacher. He's a really good teacher, and he's asked me to join his band as a side project. Sweet. :cool:

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

19. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I decided to find a teacher at the beginning of this year, and went looking on line. Went on to Craigslist to post an ad seeking a teacher, and instead, found a teacher's ad that resonated with me before I even placed mine.

I play only electric, she plays only upright these days (though played many years on electric prior). She only plays jazz these days, and I only play rock/funk type stuff. Perfect fit. :p I wanted to work on the areas that were weak.

I have cleaned up the fundamentals of my playing a lot, from changing left hand position, to improving my rhythm, to helping my ear, to helping me play more convincingly with different feels/styles, to giving me more focused practice routines. We have focused entirely from a jazz standpoint, but bass is bass, and my playing in my 2 rock bands has gotten much better. The cool part is, I am finally learning jazz (and from a pro, no less), and it is helping everything else I do.

I have only been at it for about 5 months with this teacher (every other week, for an hour to an hour and a half). First teacher I have ever had in 10 years of playing.

I highly recommend taking lessons from an upright player.

20. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    I called the National Guitar Workshop and asked for recommedantions.

I was only looking for a few lessons on technique, because I had switched from guitar, and theory is theory.

They resommended Dave Overthrow, he was great I got everything I wanted out of it at the time. I'm considering going back to him for some slapping and tapping lessons. Its not really my style. But might make for nice accents here and there.

Pontz