1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobias deluxe 5 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickTej22, Oct 1, 2013.

1. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I just picked up a Toby deluxe 5 just to get me by for now. But to be honest although cheap, it's a very nicely assembled bass, it's a good candidate for some upgrades. Main things in order I want to upgrade is the bridge, I don't want something where I'll have to have a luthier install it, so I'm going there's direct replacement out there. I hear there is, just not sure where. Next is a tie between the neck and the pickups.

2. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Bump please

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Replace the neck?? This seems a bit silly. Bridge, electronics, hardware, ok...neck, not so much?

4. I didn't think it has a standard Fender-style neck pocket. A new neck would likely need to be custom and probably a lot more than the bass costs.

5. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    The neck seems fairly cheap. I was thinking there was possibly an older bigger quality Tobias neck that would maybe fit, I'm sure it's a stretch since the good ones were all neck thru, but you never know

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Ahh he said the "Tie" between the neck and pickups. However this is just as confusing because I have never heard of a tie between the neck and pickups.

I wonder if by some chance he means the preamp because it is rather weak as is the pickups.

7. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I mean tie as in "not sure which I'd rather do first".

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Good luck finding a Tobias neck.

9. Do the pickups & pre. Lots of options for J-bass pickups. Personally, I didn't like the Toby...but if it works for you, power to you! :)

10. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    thanks for the tip. I don't care for it too much, it doesn't come close to what I use to own but this is something different I wanted to try on a budget. I see potential with it.

11. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    so I did my first upgrade to the tobias. here it is: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Um...you upgraded the Tobias by getting a Schecter Stiletto?

13. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Yep lol. I wouldn't really call it a REAL Tobias. It's just a Epiphone cheapo. It's not horrible especially for a NEW bass on a budget, but not for me.

14. The new Tobias Toby basses are - cheap in price and quality. OK - for a starter. My nephew is a new bass player and he chose a Toby. Too bad - after 3 returns for cracks in the wood on headstock we decide best for something else. Got a Squire Jaguar instead - much better quality and massive tone. As for the Schecter Stilleto - I had one like that and I would say far better than the Toby and a great bass out of the box. I gigged and rehearsed for a year straight with it and didnt miss a beat. Not the best electronics, but dialed in with amp.

15. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Yeah I had a stiletto studio 5, I loved it, this comes close to that.