1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Today i saw Cliff Burtons ric! (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrasher, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Today was one of those life changing moments for me as a person and a musician...

I went down to Cleveland for the rocknroll hall of fame because metallica was getting inducted and it was free. i got there and the line to get into the building was seriously a quarter mile long. But i had a motive for the wait... i had heard that Cliff Burtons fabled Rickenbacker 4001 that he had used during the first half of his career was on display. Seeing that this guitar heavily influenced me and inspired me to get my own ric i had to see it. After waiting i finally got into the building and went to level 3. I walked into a movie theater type room where the story of metallica was on. Everyone seemed super intrested but i moved on down a narrow hallway when i saw a glass case. There, i saw it, along with James Hetfields esp explorer, kirk hammets wavecaster, Robs audition Stringray, and lyrics to songs like the four horsemen. But i had barely cared about anything else other than the ric. I just couldnt believe it, there it was! Anesthesia was played right on that!! Believe it or not i just got teary eyed as i gazed at the thing. i just felt like this was the closest i would ever get to cliff. He is my hero and a total inspiration to me. After bowing to it I illegely snapped a few pics and here is one of them.(please keep it on the dl) I believe that this is the most recent pic of the bass since 1985...

[​IMG]

R.I.P. Cliff Burton

2. Damn. :eek:

3. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    way cool!!! great way to keep pics on the dl is to post em on the net ive found, those pesky nudes of my ex clog the harddrive no more!!

4. BASS SUCKS

BASS SUCKS

Feb 3, 2009
    So pretty, even moreso that it's a pretty famous one. :eek:

5. ha i know man but i just had to share this with you guys!

6. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    lol definitely appreciate it!!

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Cool stuff! I wonder if it`s true that Jason got Cliffs Aria...

8. Wow, very cool. That's an amazing bass. I bought my first Ric because of Cliff too! I'd kill for 10 minutes with that thing!

9. I have more pics if you guys are intrested and il post them later tomorrow. The crazy thing about this bass is that there is a pink jazz bass pickup in the bridge cavity and a gibson sg bass pickup in the neck. also the strings and fretboard seemed untouched since burton left it. its really quite a site to see! When i walked up to the exhibit there was this older lady just casually looking when i come running up yelling "Oh my god, Oh my god!!!!" She probably thought i was nuts but i didnt care, its Cliff Burtons RIC!!! Its legendary!!!

10. Brother I know how you feel.......Although Metallica never did it for me...I got the same feeling the first time I saw Chris Squire playing his 4001. Went out in 1973, bought my very own and have been playing them ever since....

Cool pics!!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Awesome!!!! Cliff and that bass are a huge inspiration to me:
    Here I am back in 93/94.
    Ric4003Burgandy.

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    OT, but how did you get in for free? When I showed up at 8 pm it was "sold out".

13. mlafrancis

mlafrancis

Jun 26, 2008
    i read somewhere that his aria got stolen, but idk for sure.

14. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Seriously cool, man. Would have loved to have seen it in person as you did. :)

15. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    No I think it was his Alembic that was stolen, after which he went to Aria.

That's pretty awesome man thanks for sharing!

16. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Cliff let me play that exact bass at rehearsal back in 1979. Changed my life. I sold my 1969 strat and bought an Ibanez copy of a Ric 4001 for $320 the very next week. Put the EB pickup in the neck position so it would sound like Cliff's -- never did. Maybe it had something to do with the guy holding it. :smug:

Man, that brings back memories. For years, I thought his sister might have done something stupid with it. I guess his Dad must have looked after it after all. Nice to see it in the Hall of Fame. That is EXACTLY where it belongs.

RIP Cliff.

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Good way of keeping this pic on the DL is to post it on an international site, on the World Wide Web. ;)

Thats awesome man. You got closer to one of the most known, wanted, and admired basses on the planet. Ranks up there with Lemmy's Ric, Pauls Hofner, and Victor's first Fodera.

Im jealous, and I dont even like Metallica.

18. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    Cliff Burton is one of my heroes, but am I the only one who doesnt understand why seeing a bass he used is so amazing? If so, can someone please try and explain why

19. Sweet!

Kudos for "breakin' the law" and sharing with us!

20. the_ruckus

the_ruckus

Dec 28, 2008
    Detroit
    they should put a bucket in front of that case to collect drool. sounds like you had an incredible experience.

as for getting to play that bass in person.. dear god man. WIN!