1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Toddy O Birthday Bash @ Club Trios

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BurnOut, May 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Sorry so late on this, started a new job and was waiting on other people's pictures (which never appeared)

On April 22nd Duh Jokers played a Birthday Party of Sorts for a friend Toddy O. Todd was a heavy gigging musician in the Cincinnati area but was taken out of the action by a stroke and heart problems at an early age. Friends put it together for a reason to jam and lift Todd's spirits, he gets up and plays and sings a few numbers too. It's a struggle for him but he still does pretty well considering what he's been through.

Club Trios is a local establishment that host bands both inside, and has a nice outside stage for events like ours. They get free entertainment and sell drinks, we get to get onstage and play.

We were penciled in to start at 5, I arrived and commenced doing my tech duties for myself and Steve our guitar player who has some mobility issues.
    received_2162596500423156.

The weather was cool but nice. Our fellow member and Low End Friend @aproud1 was there and played with Todd during his set. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of him, was hoping for some stage shots but they never materialized. So here's one of him enjoying a tasty beverage and chatting with friends. I also had the pleasure to backline him for the day. He had the pleasure of twisting every knob on my head, which was ok cause it sounded better than ever. My only problem was I couldn't find my dirt, once I discovered he had turned off the Turbo Switch, all was well.
    received_2162596200423186.

Steve our ripping encyclopedia guitar player gets in position ready take the stage.
    WP_20180422_036.

Donnie our other guitar slinger getting himself ready. Playing his first gig with his recently reaquired 76 Gibson Explorer. He had sold it to me back in the 80's, I sold/gave it to a mutual friend. He missed and wanted it back, I played Henry Kissinger in arranging a deal for it's return. He had it refretted and totally brought back to it's former glory, super brand new sweet again.
    WP_20180422_032.

John our drummer for the evening, discussing important details of our set with Steve.
    WP_20180422_033.

I was using my trusty Yorkville Bassmaster 400 pared with my Carvin 410 and my go-to bass the BTB. An ala @BassCliff shot of me ready to do my thing and rig.
    WP_20180422_028.

Donnie and I exchanging pleasantries before the set begins. We give each other a rough way to go most always, it's always done with love.
    received_2162596050423201.

Time for Duh Jokers to hit the Stage, with the big opener Cheap Trick- Hello There. Me on the Mic right out the shoot. I was fighting a cold, really did a better performance the night before at rehearsal. Had a couple rough spots singing, the crowd didn't seem to mind, but the entertainer in me wasn't entirely happy oh well.
    FB_IMG_1524525712412.

Donnie takes the mic for an original.
    FB_IMG_1524524362749.

Another song with yours truly, probably AC/DC- The Jack. Johnny in back doing his thing on the drums.
    WP_20180422_047-2.

I will return with the required food and chicks shortly. Don't want @dbase all over me for not doing this correctly.
    Peace N Chicken Grease
    BurnOut

Attached Files:

filwitheneff, Mike N, nixdad and 20 others like this.
  2. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Ok first a picture of the lovely barmaid Cat. Sorry i couldn't get a better shot, she was busy keeping everyone happy with tasty beverages.
    WP_20180422_022.

Now for some food. Delicious BBQ and assorted other goodies prepared by friends for the event.
    WP_20180422_008. WP_20180422_010. WP_20180422_009. WP_20180422_013. WP_20180422_014. WP_20180422_015. WP_20180422_025. WP_20180422_012.

Everything was very delicious, I especially enjoyed the deserts tray as I can have a major sweet tooth. I also was sent home with a large portion of leftover BBQ too, a form of payment for my efforts you could say.
    Will return in a bit with more chicks and happy people enjoying themselves.
    Peace N Chicken Grease
    BurnOut

Mike N, Wisebass, SWRnut and 20 others like this.
  3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    You guys had a good, albeit, long set. ;)

Spidey2112, Son of Wobble and BurnOut like this.
  4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    And thank your lovely wife for capturing me in all my glory.

Wisebass, Spidey2112 and BurnOut like this.
  5. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Ok let's bring this baby home.
    Our preferred drummer Kevin and his daughter Helen showed up in support. Kevin has been with us since July, but life has been getting in the way lately for him. Pretty cool of him to come out, I could tell he wished he was up there with us.
    WP_20180422_003.
    Mrs BurnOut and Helen pose for a photo
    received_2162596453756494.

Kevin, friend, and me pose for a pic.
    FB_IMG_1524525739689.

Various folks and chicks enjoy the music and atmosphere.
    WP_20180422_023. WP_20180422_020. WP_20180422_024. WP_20180422_017. WP_20180422_016. WP_20180422_001.

A good time was had by all, we were cut short because things were running late. I was kinda glad as my voice was failing by the end of our long set. It was gone the next day.
    Thanks for looking and any likes and comments.
    I'll leave you with a cool pic taken by the birthday boy of me the night before, at rehearsal for the gig.
    received_10211189417791346_kindlephoto-547348173.

Peace N Chicken Grease
    BurnOut

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Awesome gig report!!! Great pics, nice crowd...thanks, man!!

7. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks I appreciate that.

I'm no @BassCliff but.....
    .....@dbase tore me a new one the first time I did one. I learned a hard lesson on all the required items. Wish the other folks taking pictures would of shared. A handful of wish and a handful of ........

8. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Yes! Well done gig report.

BassCliff and BurnOut like this.
  9. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thank You! Thank You! You're To Kind!
    I love this crowd!

10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Epic thread and gig report. Great to finally get a look at you in the flesh.
    You look pretty "Tasty" as British street slang puts it when someone gives the impression of knowing how to fight.

And the Missus appears to have Gothic tendencies, judging by the one shot.

The band looks great, and the barmaid looks like she can drain a keg.

Upgrade on the platter, though, buddy, the one in pix should come with coupons for angioplasty.

OK, I'mma go back and read from the top! :thumbsup:

Next time, audio and video clips, please!:bassist::hyper:

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Wisebass, Spidey2112 and BurnOut like this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    PS Okay I guess if you twist my arm I'll have a pulled pork sandwich :laugh:

BurnOut likes this.
  12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    empty-beer-glass-is-sad.

BurnOut likes this.
  13. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    No worries for being a little late. It was an excellent report! Super fun looking gig. Any video shot?

BurnOut likes this.
  14. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Looks like a good time was had by all.

I like the shirt. Where'd you find it?

BurnOut likes this.
  15. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Great report! Looks llike you guys put on a good show!

BurnOut likes this.
  16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Nice gig report! I'm also glad to see you guys able to help out a really nice fellow musician. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Son of Wobble, Spidey2112 and BurnOut like this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Great job, @BurnOut! Awesome job helping out those in need! Nice 'seeing' you and @aproud1 were able to get together, as well...

... as for Cat... meow. Just sayin'...

Wisebass and BurnOut like this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    @BurnOut can't believe you got @BassCliff to the party! Pretty crafty of you. Now that he has signed the guest book,
    I guess you flip this joint for double-profits, huh?

I'm watching...I'm learning....

19. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Reinforcements

c9e49ece612a4ff9b88f7966c4e1bc4d.

BurnOut likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Heart-friendly platter.

healthy-mediterranean-bruschetta-hummus-platter-recipe-PEASandCRAYONS-2964.

I went to see Iggy Pop on his 60th birthday with the reunited Stooges in 2007 and it is was not only a fantastic set, but way better than when I saw him back in 1982. But now ten years on, three of the Stooges backing Iggy on that reunion stage are gone. Steve Mackay, Ron Asheton and Scott Asheton, all departed. And What killed Ron in the end was not the years of prodigious drug use so much as his long-standing, $100 a day deli habit. Stuff''ll kill ya. Which is a shame, because I could live on corned beef and rye.

BurnOut likes this.