1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tolex vs. Carpet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Carpet

56 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Tolex

113 vote(s)
    66.9%
  1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Is it merely aesthetics or is one more durable than the other?

:ninja:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    A lot of people here are going to say tolex, but I prefer carpet. I think it looks nicer. People complain about the carpet picking smells like cig smoke from bars, but I don't have that problem.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I go with carpet. Simply because you can febreeze the smell out of a carpet if it starts to smell like cigarettes, and it's way more durable than Tolex.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Neither. DuraTex instead.

5. Tolex all the way! It may get ripped and torn but my cats don’t like to scratch it and make it look like a picked out afro.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Tolex. I hate picking bits of grass and such out of my carpeted cabs after outdoor gigs, and beer spills just roll right off, too.

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    My biggest complaint with carpet covering is that it begins to wear pretty quickly and starts to look "fuzzy". Also, it is pretty hard to clean. Tolex is easier to clean, but at the same time it does rip/tear pretty easily..Although I voted for Tolex, I think they both have their weaknesses..If there was a choice for spray-on coatings (like newer yorkville cabs) I would be all over that!

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    You can roll/brush on DuraTex and it's water-based so it doesn't outgass and it cleans up easy. Also durable as hell and looks like pro touring equipment. It even touches up easily.

I too got tired of outdoor detrius and cat scratching post wear - but I suppose it was an improvement over severely ripped fabric. But why suffer either?

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Tolex takes about 2 seconds to clean, doesn't smell like cigarettes, and while it is easier to tear it, it doesn't get soggy when it starts drizzling at an outdoor gig.

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    just went to teh duratex site and it answered 90% of my questions.

a little pricey. perhaps not comparatively though.

they mention color choices, but listnothing... anyone know anything?

tombrien's 112 blue cabs, through his color-incorrect-digital-camera , has me jones-in for a cream colored cab now. cream n black... cream n oxblood. hmm.

11. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I too was intrigued by the DuraTex and did some quick research on Google and came up with this...

http://www.acrytech.com/DuraTex.htm

12. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Can not stand carpet. Horrible stuff.

Give me tolex over carpet any day. No question.

Of course the best is the hard surface stuff. Does by different names, but it's the best without question.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Crockettnj,

I've used it and it's easy. It's pretty widely available, I've put the URL on talkbass a umptyleven times (it comes up in google like right away man), it probably costs less per coverage area than either of the poll alternatives, it comes in colors, and you can do semi-smooth or industrial textured covering with merely a brush and roller. You can also shoot it if you have the right setup - and that's less demanding than what it takes to shoot a poly-type textured industrail finish. It's self-priming and you can see ways it can look on higher-quality PA mains and subwoofers - or Carvin's or Euphonic Audio's cabs.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    To me, the carpet looks better and is more durable.

I bought some vinyl for $16 and my keyboardist made a cover for my cab, so I don't have to worry about it looking bad over time.

I don't really care if it smells like a smokey bar...since smokey bars do too.

15. 100% tolex. I cant stand the feel of the carpet on some cabs, really reminded me of like cheap felt. I also like the way tolex looks more, sure it may get ripped and whatever, buts its replacable. I would just prefer tolex over carpet anyday.

16. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Isn't DuraTex basically the same thing as a Rhino Lining for your truck bed? The stuff you paint on?

17. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    I personally would rather have a ripped tolex cab than one with carpet. carpet just looks like the cabinet builder was cheap......I realize that there are a bunch of high end cabs using carpet....I only said looks cheap. I like the idea of duratex though. The PA at our last show had a duratex finish & it looked better than carpet or tolex & I'm sure it was as well used as any of the other PA speakers that I have seen in the past that looked trashed.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

See, I have always felt that tolex looks cheap. I used to have an older ampeg 2x10 that had tolex, and it just looked old and cheap to me. I take good care of my carpeted cabs though, so they have never looked bad to me.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Carpet sucks if you have to play outdoor gigs, plus unlike tolex it doesn't look cool when it gets beat up and funky.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1, those would be my two bottom choices.

I actually prefer water-based urethane over natural wood for my homebrewed cabs though. Not necessarily the best choice for hard gigging however. The finish on my EA cab has held up very well for the couple of years I've owned it, FWIW.